BROADWEST (former West End Summit), 36 story Conrad Hilton Hotel/condo tower, 22 story/510,000 sq. ft. office tower, 4 story/125,000 sq. ft. retail/office, 1 acre plaza, 2,500 car garage, $490 million

it's just dave

Count me among the doubters... I wonder if G-S just wants to have their foot in the door for when the property goes into receivership. 

Seriously.  I can't see how much good a 16 million dollar loan is going to do unless he's converting the hole into a water park.  

• 2 weeks later...

I feel like we are not taking advantage of one of Nashville's "hidden gems". The lake would be a great place for swimming laps, helloooo Music City Triathlon. Or maybe Red Bull could have a wake boarding contest there. Summer is here Palmer!!!!! Where are the inflatable tubes, water slides, and outdoor movies showing Jaws?

• Like 4

I was just looking at the skycam from downtown aimed west to midtown and noticed all the construction going on, as far as the eye can see.  Then I saw, smack in the middle, the wide barren spot that Palmer has controlled for fifteen years, and I could only shake my head at the incompetence it takes to miss such an opportunity. Yikes! 

• Like 3

It's darkest before dawn, it's said.  I don't think that this will be allowed to fester much longer without being challenged (successfully or otherwise), sometime by next calendar year ─ that's what I sense.  Whatever the denouement, it'll likely cost taxpayers, just to make it move forward or out.

-==-

Edited by rookzie

Count me among the doubters... I wonder if G-S just wants to have their foot in the door for when the property goes into receivership. 

I don't know anything about real estate finance, but I just read an article about GS's shenanigans with the former Greek government and various other entities and, wow, I suspect this is not a good sign.  They have a history of luring needy, shady, or poorly informed people into complex often secretive financial arrangements they don't understand and then holding them ruthlessly to the letter of the contract when it (predictably) goes south.  Mr. Palmer's delusions may be nearing their sad end.

I don't know anything about real estate finance, but I just read an article about GS's shenanigans with the former Greek government and various other entities and, wow, I suspect this is not a good sign.  They have a history of luring needy, shady, or poorly informed people into complex often secretive financial arrangements they don't understand and then holding them ruthlessly to the letter of the contract when it (predictably) goes south.  Mr. Palmer's delusions may be nearing their sad end.

A project this size does not even make a tiny difference on GS balance sheet or income statement. They are providing a little financing at a probably not inexpensive rate. If it goes into foreclosure they would most certainly sell the property as quickly as feasible

Edited by samsonh

• 2 weeks later...

I am really surprised the city has not stepped in and seized the property for neglect, and for being a health hazard. It almost seems criminal this can be left like this. It's dangerous and an eyesore. The City Of Lexington made the developer fill the large hole that was slated for Centerpoint which was a 19 story hotel/residential project for downtown Lexington. That project was only abandoned less than a year ago. This hole has been here for 8 years! The WES project was first advertised in 1998, and 17 years later there is still nothing,  meanwhile we lost an architectural gem like the Corinthian Lodge.

Something on the legal side needs to be done. MLBrumby? Any legal information you could teach us on the law surrounding this failed project?

• Like 2

I am really surprised the city has not stepped in and seized the property for neglect, and for being a health hazard. It almost seems criminal this can be left like this. It's dangerous and an eyesore. The City Of Lexington made the developer fill the large hole that was slated for Centerpoint which was a 19 story hotel/residential project for downtown Lexington. That project was only abandoned less than a year ago. This hole has been here for 8 years! The WES project was first advertised in 1998, and 17 years later there is still nothing,  meanwhile we lost an architectural gem like the Corinthian Lodge.

Something on the legal side needs to be done. MLBrumby? Any legal information you could teach us on the law surrounding this failed project?

Nothing more than I've said already... it seems the city would have a case for condemnation based on whatever the public nuisance code happens to be.  Assuming it's boiler plate, this one does not strike me as anything mystical. Probably, a strongly worded letter would be issued first to urge action on the project. Each "violation" would have to be clearly spelled out.  Then successive steps to force Palmer's hand, culminating in possibly seizure.  I did not know about the Lexington project, but that seems like an analogous situation. Right off the top, the WES site does not have proper permanent guardrails around it (I believe it has concrete barriers around part of it).  Aside from the potential loss of human life resulting from an auto or other accident,there is no proper drainage and pests are bound to find that pit irresistible.