Tanger Outlets coming to Charlotte

cityboi

Is there any idea if the Simon Outlets will be in the Mecklenburg side of Stallings, or the Union County side? Also, its pretty interesting that both properties are being built in areas that have not been developed yet. I wonder if in a decade or two these areas will look like Pineville or Northlake with all sorts of adjacent development going on.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

These locations seem odd to me. I guess there isn't a lot of open land near 85 or 77 anywhere near Charlotte anymore. You'd think they'd get more tourist traffic if adjacent to heavier traveled roads. That said, I'm happy they won't have an effect on the traffic of either of those roads. 485 is continuing its downward spiral of sprawl. These two malls would bring the total count of "malls" adjacent to 485 to 5 (I'm counting Concord Mills as it will barely be a step away once the new 85/485 interchange is completed. Hooray for planning! :dontknow:

...I really don't understand your rationale for this constant doomsayer of it.

The US is full of stories of smaller malls in less-than-ideal locations that failed. What makes a mall work is (1) large size and/or (2) great location in an area with good demographics and accessibility. Look at SouthPark vs. Charlotte's slew of '70s ancillary malls that went under, for example.

Neither outlet center has either of these characteristics. I'd give the edge to the Simon center, though.

Good grief. This clearly means no Bridges at Mint Hill happening in the near future.

2 mid-size outlet malls plus Concord Mills? Not all of them will make it. Concord Mills will survive, because it's the largest and most established. If only it didn't take an eternity to get there during rush hour.

Concord Mills is in some major need of an aesthetic update inside and out. Tanger and Premium Outlets aren't known for aesthetics either though I suppose.

The Stallings site has poor access to 77 or 85, but strong demographics. The Steele Creek site is much closer to 77 and 85 (via an uncongested link of 485) but has poorer demographics. These two new outlets will test the theory of what matters more, surrounding market or regional access. Still, Concord seem to lean more towards access. And outlets in general appear to be less reliant on market than tradional malls.

The Stallings site has poor access to 77 or 85, but strong demographics. The Steele Creek site is much closer to 77 and 85 (via an uncongested link of 485) but has poorer demographics. These two new outlets will test the theory of what matters more, surrounding market or regional access. Still, Concord seem to lean more towards access. And outlets in general appear to be less reliant on market than tradional malls.

I'm not sure about the Tanger site, but I think the Simon outlet will do pretty good in this area. It isn't near 77 or 85, but it is near US-74. It's also near the future Monroe bypass, giving the site access to a good bulk of Union county residents. Also, it's the closes thing to a mall in southeast Charlotte, which means it could be drawing in a large amount of people in that area, especially with the absence of new Bridges at Mint Hill.

I guess we'll have to see

I do believe that any kind of new retail in this tough economy is welcome news even though it may not be built where we would like it to be built. The rendering for Tanger looks nice so it won't look like the typical outlet centers from the 80s and 90s.

I still think there is room for all three centers in Charlotte. How many people really go to CM for outlet shopping anyway with all the other entertainment stores and services available(Bass Pro Shops, AMC, NASCAR)? My idea would be the Tanger outlet being your typical run of the mill, go to outlet with Polo, Coach, Banana Republic etc. Then the Simon outlet would include more upscale options inlcuding Burberry, Prada, Lacoste, Converse (how about NM "Last Call") paralleling other Simon Premium Outlets in Orlando and Williamsburg, rather than the Gaffney Outlet. Just my two cents on how everyone wins.

The simon outlet will add to the nightmare that is the southern leg of 485..Thank god I NEVER travel down there. IMO the Tanger outlet at Steel Creek makes more sense. It is farthest from CM. Though Cm is technically about ten steps outside of Meck Co most of Mecklenburg county (LKN, N MEck, UCity) can all be to CM quicker then SP, CP and either of the two new outlets.

My opinion is one of these will survive. I hope it's Tanger.

I am very curious to find out the tenant list in this center. Simon is partnering up with Paragon Outlets (which is a 50/50 partnership according to the announcement) and after reviewing Paragon's existing portfolio, there could be potentially a 60% mix of stores that are not presently located in the metro area. This includes both outlet and/or traditional. Paragon seems to be a pretty class A in terms of it's existing 3 centers.

Oops, I was wrong about the Gaffney center; indeed Simon owns it.

I do find it odd that Simon wants to add a 3rd outlet center when it already owns CM on the northeast side of Charlotte and the Gaffney one on the west side of Charlotte, unless this is more of an announcement to try to block Tanger from moving in on its space. Otherwise, I also give the Simon one the best chance of succeeding.

I am very curious to find out the tenant list in this center. Simon is partnering up with Paragon Outlets (which is a 50/50 partnership according to the announcement) and after reviewing Paragon's existing portfolio, there could be potentially a 60% mix of stores that are not presently located in the metro area. This includes both outlet and/or traditional. Paragon seems to be a pretty class A in terms of it's existing 3 centers.

I am sure Simon wouldn't build a Premium outlet if it was going to overlap too much with CM. That wouldn't be smart business. A new mix of stores would be smarter for everyone.

Lord & Taylor opens outlets (e.g., in Florida) without regular stores being nearby (at least for a time), but I looked at Bloomingdale's outlet list and they are all seemingly located near metro areas with regular stores, I think. The New Hampshire location is sort of a stretch from Boston and so maybe as long as a Charlotte location is within range of Atlanta/DC's distribution, that works?

I've been to 2 Bloomingdale's outlets and the chain did a very good job with them- they definitely have the "feel" of a regular Bloomingdale's store.

Now Open

Lord & Taylor opens outlets (e.g., in Florida) without regular stores being nearby (at least for a time), but I looked at Bloomingdale's outlet list and they are all seemingly located near metro areas with regular stores, I think. The New Hampshire location is sort of a stretch from Boston and so maybe as long as a Charlotte location is within range of Atlanta/DC's distribution, that works?

I've been to 2 Bloomingdale's outlets and the chain did a very good job with them- they definitely have the "feel" of a regular Bloomingdale's store.

Now Open

... unless this is more of an announcement to try to block Tanger from moving in on its space. Otherwise, I also give the Simon one the best chance of succeeding.

Except the fragmented geopolitics of the Tanger location being in Charlotte/Mecklenburg, while the Simon location is Stallings/Union, will encourage both tax-seeking bodies to approve both locations. If anything, I can see the Stallings town board hearings being more heated than the Charlotte council's. Mayfield has already voiced her support.

And sure, the Simon location may have stronger demographics in its immediate vicinity, but it will need it, since the more congested traffic on Independence and I-485 translates into worse regional access, even after the slight widening of I-485 closer to I-77.

"There can be only one"

http://www.bizjourna...enter-will.html

Thanks for the article! From Simon's CEO, a completely idiotic and arrogant remark:

"We will not make any outlet mistakes, OK?" he said. "The reason we won’t is because we’re the leader in the business, we have 70 premium outlets in the world, we have the best franchise in this business and I just know that we won’t make a mistake. So, I can’t say the same thing for others. That’s not my job to worry about what others do."

Simon's Mall at the Source, an outlet center in Long Island, defauled on a $124 mortgage payment and is on the verge of closure. if Simon is so invincible, how did that happen?

• 4 weeks later...

Archived