Davidson Southeast: Antioch, Century Farms, East of Brentwood

smeagolsfree

Sylvan Park Diner on 8th Avenue finally closing.  I had many a greasy breakfast there over the past dozen years. Wonder what the new development will be?  It is surrounded by new brand new apartment/condos.  Could either be a smaller complex tucked in between, or perhaps a new restaurant.  With  more than 1,800 new units and hundreds of new houses within 4 blocks that are finished or UC, there really is a shortage of quality eateries along that stretch of 8th Avenue South. 

http://www.tennessean.com/story/money/2015/10/01/sylvan-park-restaurant-closes-berry-hill/73137738/

..It's also been not far from the back of my mind on the eventual (if not imminent) reDev of the old Biltmore Motor Hotel Court complex ─ that is, what's left of it (the south wing).  Actually the array of contiguous parcels along that side of Franklin Road, has been a hodgepodge of curiosity, as storied as it has been fabled.
biltmore.thumb.jpg.cb4bcd3a18744b61b9ee7

Biltmore_Hotel_Court_and_Restaurant___At
It's been rumored that Don Gibson wrote the hit lyrics “Oh Lonesome Me” and “I Can’t Stop Loving You” at the Biltmore, but that doesn't pre-empt the property to merit preservation, IMO.  Hell, he could have just the same written them in my crib, but I wouldn't push for not getting it torn down, if it were a slum.  The nearby Athens restaurant, across the parking plaza, probably is a reincarnation but no longer recognizable element of the former Court campus.

biltmorecloseup.thumb.jpg.290fe19cac2426

biltmorematches.thumb.jpg.29766bdd4da646

-==-

• Like 3

You're a wealth of historical info... but what strikes me (pun intended) is that those matchbooks appear to be ones that you have in your possession.  Amazing to see the 5-digit phone number... that had to predate WW2... but then air conditioning and TV came after the war... How long did Nashville use 5-digits? And are you a collector of Nash mementos? 

Edited by MLBrumby
  • Like 1

..It's also been not far from the back of my mind on the eventual (if not imminent) reDev of the old Biltmore Motor Hotel Court complex ─ that is, what's left of it (the south wing).  Actually the array of contiguous parcels along that side of Franklin Road, has been a hodgepodge of curiosity, as storied as it has been fabled.

It's been rumored that Don Gibson wrote the hit lyrics “Oh Lonesome Me” and “I Can’t Stop Loving You” at the Biltmore, but that doesn't pre-empt the property to merit preservation, IMO.  Hell, he could have just the same written them in my crib, but I wouldn't push for not getting it torn down, if it were a slum.  The nearby Athens restaurant, across the parking plaza, probably is a reincarnation but no longer recognizable element of the former Court campus.

-==-

This is exactly the kind of quirky, unusual building I hate to lose, regardless of what its history is.  It's cool.  Definitely cooler than whatever will replace it in our era of banal, cheap-looking architecture.  I would love to see it developed into some kind of micro retail like that place pn Fatherland where High Garden is.

That Sylvan Park restaurant, on the other hand, can't be gone quick enough IMO.  Vile on both culinary and architectural levels.

• Like 3

How about an adult entertainment complex and just have everything in one place.with a homeless encampment

That emoticon chain is not complete, to be able to symbolize that, though (maybe the first one is a stretch).
-==-

Edited by rookzie
  • Like 1

I didn't realize how the first one looked. LMAO. Supposed to be shock but understand it could be taken differently. OMG

BTW, on a different note in the same are, the signs with renderings are up for the two Core projects on Martin. The second one had  not, and still has not gone public, but that is about to change.

Here is the info on Twelve 60 Martin. Seems like I found out about this one a number of months ago. This is another Core project.

https://www.nashvillepost.com/blogs/postbusiness/2015/10/9/site_show_industrial_esque_residential_building_eyed_for_wedgewood_hous

Edited by smeagolsfree
  • Like 2

Had a nice lunch with my district's new councilman, Colby Sledge.  Among various topics, I asked what his thoughts were regarding the redevelopment of the Greer Stadium and Fairgrounds sites.  In both cases, he believes they will both become primarily large parks/green space, with some soccer fields, softball diamonds, large playgrounds, dog parks, jogging/bike trails, half-pipes, pavilions, areas for weekly farmers' markets, etc.  He thinks that as those neighborhoods grow denser with houses, apartment/condo complexes, and more businesses that there will be much greater need for larger park spaces than currently exist on that side of town.  

• Like 1

Had a nice lunch with my district's new councilman, Colby Sledge.  Among various topics, I asked what his thoughts were regarding the redevelopment of the Greer Stadium and Fairgrounds sites.  In both cases, he believes they will both become primarily large parks/green space, with some soccer fields, softball diamonds, large playgrounds, dog parks, jogging/bike trails, half-pipes, pavilions, areas for weekly farmers' markets, etc.  He thinks that as those neighborhoods grow denser with houses, apartment/condo complexes, and more businesses that there will be much greater need for larger park spaces than currently exist on that side of town.  

DOG PARK is sorely needed! bring it on! They should let people use the Greer Stadium field as an enormous dog park until it is time for demo.

It would also be nice to step back a little bit and look at the relationship between Ft. Negley Park, the Cemetery, Rose Park and Reservoir Park. Would be great to link all of these green spaces together.

Edited by chelovek
  • Like 4

The mixed use project (apartments, condos and retail) by two developers (Alliance - apartments and Eighth South - condos) is scheduled for completion in Q1 of 2017. 

"The 6.41-acre former home of Colonial Bakery at 2407 Franklin Pike straddles Nashville and the satellite city of Berry Hill. A little over half or about 168 of the 330 apartment units Alliance plans will be in Berry Hill with the remainder in Metro."

http://www.tennessean.com/story/money/real-estate/2015/10/14/redevelopment-colonial-bakery-site-advances/73956164/

• Like 2

I know the Ford Ice Center isnt new but today was my first time there. Id like to say its an exceptional space both inside and outside. I met friends there this afternoon for casual skating which is both affordable and fun. 

IMG_2472_zpsmfxwug83.jpg

I love how they have Ford vehicle parking in the first two rows. I dont drive a Ford but it seems cute to me that they did that. 

The following pic is of the community center next door. I didnt go in but it looked good outside. 

IMG_2473_zpsnpmzlloj.jpg

I personally really like the Bell Rd area. It seems nice and there's a lot nearby. 

• Like 2

Freeman continues (as he did on the campaign) to reference Oklahoma City's Fairgrounds, where they discontinued auto racing about 5 years ago.  If only they would do that here.  

The comparison to the Amphitheater is frankly bizarre because the Amphitheater is downtown and not located in the middle of a residential neighborhood.  The Fairgrounds is terribly located to be a commercial venue with any increased attendance. Instead any development should be done to activate the space for the surrounding neighborhood's use so that it does not sit like an unused blighted mess for 300 days a year.  

• Like 4

http://www.tennessean.com/story/news/crime/2015/10/28/murfreesboro-pike-site-considered-metro-police-hq/74751032/

Police HQ now considered for Murfreesboro Pike property (where the criminal justice center is also locating). With the proximity of this area to downtown, and affordable land for developments, I wouldn't be surprised if this area sees strong growth pretty soon.

• Like 1

http://www.tennessean.com/story/news/crime/2015/10/28/murfreesboro-pike-site-considered-metro-police-hq/74751032/

Police HQ now considered for Murfreesboro Pike property (where the criminal justice center is also locating). With the proximity of this area to downtown, and affordable land for developments, I wouldn't be surprised if this area sees strong growth pretty soon.

Agreed.  With the explosion of activity just to the west of that area in Chestnut Hill, it is bound to have some flow over towards Lafayette/Murfreesboro Rd. as well.