Davidson Southeast: Antioch, Century Farms, East of Brentwood

smeagolsfree

There was a store there in the past and a developer - pre recession had worked a deal for an expanded building. There was a stink when the new developer demo'd the original building, which was supposed to stay (and be built around) per the past agreement with metro.

My understanding is that it will be a different concept from the Bongo Java folks. Frothy Monkey and Portland Brew are already close by.

Commentary from William, at the Post about the Draper James building.

https://www.nashvillepost.com/blogs/postbusiness/2015/11/2/commentary_12south_building_shines_with_simplicity

"some local architects will scoff, noting designs must be true to a building’s context, time and place. Why implement materials, forms and massing that were popular in the 1920s when we can push the envelope and go “cutting edge""

This statement from the article grieved me a bit. I'm not against the new styles, but that old simple, symmetrical brick and stone has stood the test of time, whereas some of these new architecture styles may end up as a temporary fad.

• Like 1

A really good example of architecture that did not stand the test of time is much of the modernist crap that was built in the 70's. It was a fad and a bad one at that. Architects have been mimicking classical architecture for hundreds of years and that has stood the test of time. I do realize architecture is a matter of taste just like art, but there has been a boat load of crap built, and a lot of classic buildings brought down. IMHO, the article was dead on.

• Like 4

I agree with it as well. I've been wishing a developer would build some rowhouses like the ones along 2nd Ave. in Midtown, Germantown or 12South or East Nashville. There are other good projects like Luxus, Gramercy and some townhouses tucked in behind Centennial park.

Edited by Philip
  • Like 1

A really good example of architecture that did not stand the test of time is much of the modernist crap that was built in the 70's. It was a fad and a bad one at that. Architects have been mimicking classical architecture for hundreds of years and that has stood the test of time. I do realize architecture is a matter of taste just like art, but there has been a boat load of crap built, and a lot of classic buildings brought down. IMHO, the article was dead on.

There are good and bad buildings in practically every style and period, but the Baptist Church on Broadway just above the arena is an example (far from the worst) of a style from the 70s that I find almost universally repellant.  At least they left the old bell tower to stand as a reproach to the new building. 

• Like 2

Yes. As of yesterday you could still walk around the Colonial site.  Bulldozers are starting to move substantial amounts of earth in the upper areas to prep for foundations.  

I missed my normal MTA bus to work yesterday, so I ended up riding my "contingency", the 8th Ave bus, and as I passed Craighead Ave., I was taken aback at the open space left from the removal of Colonial.  So when I went home after work, I drove back to the site and and stomped around over in there.  I was amazed to be able to view the huge open-air grade, where the bakery stood on the slab area, and with all that site extending from 8th, way back to that rear retaining wall, short of Elliot Ave, the next street over.

That might have been one of very few chances I ever would get to experience such an awesome, basically level-graded plot in the 8th Ave. So. district.  It was hard for me to appreciate just how vast it really is, without being smack in the middle of it. -==-

• Like 1

Regarding Colonial Site: That might have been one of very few chances I ever would get to experience such an awesome, basically level-graded plot in the 8th Ave. So. district.  It was hard for me to appreciate just how vast it really is, without being smack in the middle of it.

I live just two blocks from there and have walked around the empty site numerous times.  The new development is going to be huge.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/21/2015, 8:33:49, markhollin said:

Former Edgehill Clinic site (just 200 ft. north of the busy intersection of Wedgewood and 12the Avenue South) sold to Treg Warner.  Prime location for development. 

http://www.tennessean.com/story/money/real-estate/2015/11/20/former-edgehill-clinic-property-sold-18m/76129652/

635836468940455026-edgehill.JPG

On the way to work noticed that the discount tobacco/beer store on the corner or 12th and Wedgewood is closed and and was being ripped apart inside. I am guessing a demo permit is coming soon. Which is great, that store attracts a very unsavory element to that corner.

• Like 3

^ ^ ^

Something is definitely brewing for the three adjoining lots on NW corner of Wedgewood and 12th Ave. South (former liquor store on corner, stip mall behind it, and former Edgehill Clinic building & parking lot).  All are now owned by Treg Warner.

http://www.tennessean.com/story/money/real-estate/2015/12/01/interior-demo-permit-issued-former-12th-and-wedgewood-mart/76625774/

On 12/2/2015, 7:17:32, markhollin said:

^ ^ ^

Something is definitely brewing for the three adjoining lots on NW corner of Wedgewood and 12th Ave. South (former liquor store on corner, stip mall behind it, and former Edgehill Clinic building & parking lot).  All are now owned by Treg Warner.

http://www.tennessean.com/story/money/real-estate/2015/12/01/interior-demo-permit-issued-former-12th-and-wedgewood-mart/76625774/

On way to work today noticed they were painting the exterior of the old store on corner. Very curious as to what will be put here.