Townhomes/Brownstones Wanted in Downtown!

Ciyphier

So I am currently in a Condo downtown, but its time to get something new... something bigger. I've been searching for a while and so far I have only found two places.... the brownstones on south street and the town homes out on Robinson down near mills... the brownstones on south street are a little smaller than I was hoping for. And the ones out near mills are so few that they never come on the market! Ashley homes built a bunch out on Michigan and they are AMAZING! it exactly what I was hoping for... but that is way to far away! I wish a developer would capitalize on this missing piece of the real estate pie and build something! Even in uptown would be the perfect place for them...

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Townhomes so close to, or actually in the Central Business District, only make sense if the CBD was to stop growing.  There's a natural staircase that happens from high rise to mid rise to multi family to single family homes around an activity center. 

Copley Place, on Michigan, is not a bad location to buy because of the future growth to the area.  It's only 1-2 blocks to Delaney where the Southern LYMMO extension will touch while making it's loop around the Market at Southside (in the meantime, there's a LYNX route that goes down Delaney into downtown so you wouldn't have to transfer...and the whole trip is a pretty short bike ride).

We do not have a good transitional area. It goes from high rises to single family houses. But South st heading east is a good place to put them. And the land Lake Highland Prep bought from the City is a decent site. 

We do not have a good transitional area. It goes from high rises to single family houses. But South st heading east is a good place to put them. And the land Lake Highland Prep bought from the City is a decent site. 

Great point - is there going to be any residential now that LHP bought that site? I always bemoaned how the NIMBYs shot down plans over there. Of course, some of us always imagined the state Capitol going over there when it finally moved to O-town. Where have you gone, Claude Kirk!?!

Great point - is there going to be any residential now that LHP bought that site? I always bemoaned how the NIMBYs shot down plans over there. Of course, some of us always imagined the state Capitol going over there when it finally moved to O-town. Where have you gone, Claude Kirk!?!

I am new to this so forgive my ignorance... what is NIMBYs? And, are their really plans to bring the capitol to Orlando?!

I am new to this so forgive my ignorance... what is NIMBYs? And, are their really plans to bring the capitol to Orlando?!

First, welcome to the boards! NIMBY stands for "Not In My Back Yard", the nattering nabobs of negativism who are against just about everything but the status quo.

Once upon a time, then-Governor Claude Kirk (the first GOP governor since Reconstruction, a one-termer from '66-'70) attempted to get the capital out of Tallahassee and preferred Orlando (one of the few Republican areas in the state at the time.) Like most of his actions, it failed spectacularly and led to the construction of our spectacularly homely new Capitol ("The Erection"). To this day there is a plaque in the lobby of the new building dedicated to those who tried to move the Legislature to Orlando (our otherwise spectacular Governor Reubin Askew, the father of modern Florida government and a Pensacolan, took great pride in that.)

Ferncreek just north of Colonial has three sets of nice townhomes.  Ferncreek isn't that close to downtown, but they've created a nice "neighborhood center" feel along it, with the rowhouses, offices, churches, community center, school, small parks, and fire station.

post-25309-0-82175100-1357673774_thumb.g

Yeah, you're right there aren't many townhomes in the core. These were on my list when I was looking for a new place. But I quickly found out most banks aren't even lending on condos/townhomes anymore unless it's a Fannie Mae foreclosure. You basically have to pay cash and hopefully not get involved in a bidding war with a real estate trust, a Canadian or an overseas investor :rolleyes:.

1) This one's my favorite. Livingston/Cathcart- newer Spanish/Mediterranean revival construction, located on a great residential st, and close to Lake Eola. The rooftop has 3 surprises; an enclosed bonus room, an outdoor summer kitchen, and a terrace with views of the d/t skyline.

post-26482-0-94615400-1358175371_thumb.jpost-26482-0-19488800-1358175388_thumb.j

2) Hillcrest St/Cathcart- newer construction on an elevated, bricked st, second story faces d/t skyline. It's a little rough looking b/c it's been sitting empty for years. The lower price accounted for repairs and elbow grease. It also backs up to a 2 story business that faces Colonial Dr... but at least it's historic/attractive & the grounds are well maintained.

post-26482-0-07631200-1358175708_thumb.j

3) How about a loft? The China Glass Warehouse has high ceilings, finishes & exposed brick/ductwork made for some pretty cool living spaces. But you also have Colonial Dr/trains to deal with... so there's that. I just liked the the style of this place and I wish more commercial buildings in the core had upper level living space.

post-26482-0-23386700-1358175020_thumb.jpost-26482-0-62955600-1358175033_thumb.j

Archived