Richmond Dining-Out scene

burt

Style Weekly's star-gawking column about sightings of celebrities at local restaurants has an added feature in the current issue.

Click on the highlighted site titled "pageplane dot com" and take a look at photos of transformations and adjustments on the grounds of Virginia's State Capitol to accommodate Spielberg's filming of the Lincoln movie.

http://www.styleweekly.com/richmond/this-weeks-lincoln-sightings/Content?oid=1640839

New Year's Eve, once again, will be celebrated in Carytown but in a less frantic way than in recent history. Visitors are expected to fill the many restaurants and come into the street close to midnight to watch the ball rise (unlike the one in Times Square which drops) atop the Byrd Theatre.

From today's Richmond dot com:

http://www2.richmond...own-ar-1524320/

Jimmy Sneed has a penchant for calling some of his restaurants names that sound like water creatures. The Frog and The Redneck (albeit the reference was an affectionate ethnic slur for Frenchmen) was a huge hit on the culinary scene during its too brief life span.

His latest venture is BLOW TOAD opening soon on West Cary Street in the former Double T Bar B Que place across from the Byrd Theatre in Carytown.

I'm pretty sure Sneed is the only local chef whose fame included an appearance with Julia Child on her TV cooking show.

From today's Richmond dot com with slideshow:

http://www2.richmond...own-ar-1524389/

Edited by burt

Now, here's a treat. :thumbsup: Be among the first to enter the refurbished John Marshall Residences and enjoy "Sweet & Savory Christmas Tea" in the lavish Virginia Room this Saturday, December 10th at 1PM. One o'clock is a bit early for "high" tea, but there will be, among other selections, cucumber sandwiches, shrimp remoulade in phyllo pastry, butterscotch scones and lemon tea cakes. A harpist will provide musical entertainment in the large ballroom whilst tea patrons sip and nosh. The price is $27 (plus tax and tip.) Call 804/775-2323 for reservations. Pity it wasn't scheduled for 5PM. You could then not only enjoy tea, but scoot around the corner to The Carpenter Theatre for a 7PM performance by The Richmond Symphony of Handel's Messiah. PS: It's my understanding that residents are moving into the first five floors of the building. It is expected to be fully ready for occupancy in Febriuary.

Edited by burt

www.thefanhouse.net

Click on this site and go to "Gallery" to see what this cozy place looks like today.

I have to start by saying that back in the early days of World War II, I was a 14-year old soda jerk for a summer in this building that was then known as Cavedo's Drug Store. In those days, it had the same dark mahogany look as now. I used to mix nickel coca colas from syrup and soda water, whip up milk shakes for a dime and build banana splits for fifteen cents. Ah, memories. :)

In the last decade or so, the building has been home to several restaurants and is now in the hands of a mixologist of extraordinary talent. Just ask Dana Craig.

Here is her 2-star review of THE FANHOUSE where attention to booze far exceeds the quality of small plates and entrees coming out of the kitchen.

From today's RTD:

http://www2.timesdis...use-ar-1528022/

FANHOUSE

Dana's rating: 2 Stars

2526 Floyd Avenue (at the corner of Robinson Street in The Fan)

804/612-8888

Noise level: Average to high

Tab for two: $61 (and remember: that figure does not include nips nor tips.)

Edited by burt

STEAK 'N SHAKE launched its first Richmond area restaurant yesterday in The Shops at White Oak. The large life style center is on Laburnum Avenue between I-64 and US 60 in Eastern Henrico County a mile or two from Richmond International Airport..

The Indiana based chain restaurant drew big crowds on its opening day.

From Lou Llovio in today's RTD:

http://www2.timesdispatch.com/business/business/2011/dec/09/tdbiz01-steak-n-shake-opens-to-large-crowds-ar-1531184/

I may have missed this, but does anyone know what is opening in the building next to FishBowl by Dock Street? I have seen some work there recently and driving by I saw a coming soon sign. I wasn't able to stop to check it out. I was told there used to be sports bar there, but I think it s been vacant since I moved here last December. I was told that BW3's took all their business. Anyway, it will be nice to see the space filled. It makes me wonder why the Southern Railway Deli space has vacant for so long...especially with the all the activity in that area recently.

I may have missed this, but does anyone know what is opening in the building next to FishBowl by Dock Street? I have seen some work there recently and driving by I saw a coming soon sign. I wasn't able to stop to check it out. I was told there used to be sports bar there, but I think it s been vacant since I moved here last December. I was told that BW3's took all their business. Anyway, it will be nice to see the space filled. It makes me wonder why the Southern Railway Deli space has vacant for so long...especially with the all the activity in that area recently.

You may be referring to a restaurant/bar operation out of North Carolina that was called STOOL PIGEON. It was a nice looking place at the corner of Dock and 15th Streets and appeared quite busy the few times I stopped by. It closed over a year ago and I believe the company shut down a few others in the chain.

The FISH BOWL space used to be a neat restaurant called RELISH, but it failed. And I don't think FISH BOWL has ever really caught on. It seems BUFFALO WILD WINGS in that group of buildings is the only one with staying power.

I wonder, too, about the vacant Southern RR Deli space. 14th Street is beginning to bustle with high-end retail and art galleries, although DORA'S BRAZILIAN GRILL on 14th at the corner of Cary Street just closed.

I copied this Richmond Biz Sense story last spring, then heard nothing further. That is, until today when I read a comment under the story about the restaurant having been open for weeks.

It is MARGARITA'S CANTINA at 18th and East Franklin Streets in Shockoe Bottom where Zuppa once held forth. It is owned by a restaurant couple from Queens, NY who decided to relocate in Richmond.

The person commenting has been 5 times to this new Mexican restaurant diagonally across from JULEP'S and has high praise.

From an April 2011 story in Richmond biz sense:

http://www.richmondb...charm%e2%80%99/

PS: Another Mexican place was announced for the old Papa Nino site on East Franklin just off of 17th Street in The Bottom. I've forgotten the name, but believe it's TIO PABLO. It will be an off-shoot of LuLu's and Millies.

525 AT THE BERRY BURK is aiming for an April opening. Helen Reed's design company is doing the decor for the restaurant at 6th and Grace Streets. The plan is to give it the suave look that Berry Burk had in its heyday. Booths will be upholstered in pinstripe fabric as a sort of tie in to the habadashery days when it was THE store for men's and women's clothing in downtown Richmond.

From today's Richmond biz sense (and be sure to read the enthusiastic comments under the story.)

http://www.richmondbizsense.com/2011/12/12/pinstripes-meet-small-plates/

So, I found my answer. Apparently, this will be a sports bar type place.

http://www.facebook.com/#!/MajorWillys

Style Weekly reports that the Lincoln epic has wrapped in Richmond and will move about 25 miles south to Petersburg to continue filming.

The entire cast and crew (except for Day-Lewis) dined at THE ROOSEVELT on Church Hill recently.

On a personal note, I'm happy to say that my annual Christmas trip to Richmond will include a meal at ROOSEVELT next Wednesday. That's why the family and friends are meeting me at Main Street Station instead of Amtrak's suburban station at Staples Mill Road. The next night (Thursday), 10 of us are seeing THE NUTCRACKER at The Carpenter Theatre and afterwards having dinner a block away at PASTURE in downtown Richmond.

From today's Style Weekly:

http://www.styleweekly.com/richmond/this-weeks-lincoln-sightings/Content?oid=1643632

Deveron Timberlake gives prime time to a new bar/restaurant in the Lower Fan in this week's Short Order column. It's called LOCAL EATERY & PUB and offers a number of English style menu items such as Shepherd's Pie and bangers, plus lots of beers and whiskeys.

Deveron also gives the vital statistics of several new dining out places such as MANSION 526 in Jackson Ward, PEACOCK'S PANTRY in The Fan, MARGARITA'S CANTINA and ARCADIA in Shockoe Bottom among others.

From the current Style Weekly:

http://www.styleweekly.com/richmond/short-order/Content?oid=1643656

Move over, Hooters. Buxom ladies in plaid skirts will be on hand to serve you (and your kids, too) at THE TILTED KILT. The Vegas-style franchise will soon open at the converted Uno Pizzeria in Prince George County close to Fort Lee about 25 miles south of Richmond.

Owner of the Virginia franchise is Amir Patel who hopes to expand to other areas within 200 miles.

From today's Richmond Biz Sense:

http://www.richmondb...-kids-eat-free/

Tomorrow morning I board a train for Richmond and my annual seasonal visit. Wednesday night, ROOSEVELT is on the schedule and the folliowing night, a group of us will try out PASTURE.

Meanwhile, a friend took me to ESCA here in New York for my holiday treat. And what a treat it was. The restaurant is owned by Mario Batali and Joe Bastianich (son of the famous Lydia who runs Becco on West 46th Street.) I've dined at ESCA three times and the quality of food and service is impeccable. Our bill was $250 including taxes and tip.

ESCA is at 9th Avenue and 43rd Street. In addition to a large menu, servers are the most informed I've ever encountered in New York.

Treat yourself on your next visit. Here's the website:

http://www.esca-nyc.com/

Happy Holidays to everyone. I'll see you again in early January.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm back home in New York after a wonderful holiday in the Richmond area.

I dined out (or nipped) in the following restaurants:

THE ROOSEVELT on Church Hill

PASTURE downtown

THE CANTERBURY ROOM at Westminster Caterbury retirement home

VIETNAM GARDEN on West Broad Street

THE BLUE GOAT in Westhampton (drinks only)

THE MAGPIE in The Carver District

TARRANT's on Broad Street in The Gallery District

ARCADIA in Shockoe Bottom

THE NEW YORK DELI in Carytown

MAMA CUCINA at Innsbrook

BRIO TUSCAN GRILL at Stony Point Fashion Park

BEST at The Virginia Museum

MANSION 526 next to The Hippodrome on 2nd Street (drinks only)

and a snack at Short Pump Town Center Food Court.

PS: Tried to lunch at THE BLACK SHEEP, but there were more people waiting out on the street than inside the small restaurant.

Enjoyed each of them, to varying degrees, and every one was packed with customers -- except for MANSION 526 which has not yet officially opened. The bartender told me that programming of concerts in The HIPP and in the restaurant is scheduled to begin in late February.

The ever vigilant Deveron Timberlake compiled Part One of her Richmond restaurant roundup in the December 27th edition of Style Weekly:

http://www.styleweek...ent?oid=1648202

A summary of upcoming openings in 2012 is in the current edition which I'm placing in the posting below this one (I don't know how to put them together in one posting.)

I was finally able to visit our friends' - Dennis and Julie Barbaro - new restaurant, Sedona Taphouse ( ) at Westchester Commons in Midlothian. The beer selection, food and service were exceptional! The atmosphere was lively and live entertainment is available many evenings.

They have a master selection of over 500 brews, with 50 or more being offered on any given night on a rotational basis (my wife and I helped select some of these so...you're welcome!) The small-plate fare is tasty and varied. Dennis created many of them in his own kitchen. I'd highly recommend the fish tacos. In fact I'd highly recommend several plates of them. 8-]