Richmond Dining-Out scene

burt

burt there is another Thai restaurant perhaps called the Thai House? and a new one is underway as well. Lot of thai for Carytown

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks, Coupe. It took a long time coming to Richmond, but now Thai is IN.

The Thai Room, in a wonderful townhouse with garden at 103 East Cary (downtown) was, I believe, Richmond's first Thai. Incidentally, it is in a beauitifully restored block of Cary between 1st and 2nd street. The restaurant originally was known as Poor Richard's in the early 70s. :)

Wrldcoupe4 mentioned it on the previous page, but it's time to elaborate on BOTTOMS UP PIZZA.

This pack-em-in popular pizzaria at the foot of 17th on Dock Street in The Bottom (on the canal and across from the flood wall) suffered the brunt of Gaston's flooding last fall.

It was a very attractive place with decks under the railway trestles. Have even heard stories of railroad engineers phoning ahead for pizza. How they were delivered, I have no idea! Customers on the deck had a thing about waving to the trains as they passed.

It's nice to report that reconstruction is almost complete and it will reopen shortly.

Across 17th at Dock is the very popular Canal Club, a venue for local, national and international musical entertainers.

Wrldcoupe4 mentioned it on the previous page, but it's time to elaborate on BOTTOMS UP PIZZA.

This pack-em-in popular pizzaria at the foot of 17th on Dock Street in The Bottom (on the canal and across from the flood wall) suffered the brunt of Gaston's flooding last fall. 

It was a very attractive place with decks under the railway trestles. Have even heard stories of railroad engineers phoning ahead for pizza.  How they were delivered, I have no idea!  Customers on the deck had a thing about waving to the trains as they passed.

It's nice to report that reconstruction is almost complete and it will reopen shortly.

Across 17th at Dock is the very popular Canal Club, a venue for local, national and international musical entertainers.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I love Bottoms Up pizza! A lot of pizza for the buck! The atmosphere is just the tip of the iceberg! By-the-way, just order a slice because you might not be able to eat anymore than that...the slices are HUGE!

by far the best pizza i've ever had, and eric is right about the portions. This pizza puts most others to shame. My fav is the barbecue chicken pizza. mmmmmmm. I can't wait for this place to reopen. When it does, it will have a larger patio and deck. It's won best pizza in Richmond for I don't know how many years now...

While waiting for Bottoms Up, head over to Settee (it is beside the Market grocery store, maybe 24th and Main?). The pizza is great as is the atmosphere. It doesn't look like other Richmond establishments. This may sound contrary to my atmosphere claim, but it looks like it should be named

Edited by Brent

There are a couple of new and great resturants coming to Richmond. Check it out

Style Weekly-Side Dish

Tell me if i need to add more burt. I wasn't exactly sure what you wanted.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

A great contribution, vdogg. I just didn't know the mechanics of cutting & pasting, or whatever it's called. Many thanks. :)

So, we can bury our hopes for Morgan Freeman coming to town. Wonder why the Charlotte paper first reported, then, retracted the item?

Up in Church Hill is a cozy little spot called The Hill Cafe recommended by our friend and contributor, Brent. It's a recent addition to Michelle Williams' restaurant operations, having formerly been under different management. Good food and ambiance on the corner of Broad at 28th.

Captain Buzzy's Beanery offers coffee, sandwiches, reading materials and comfort at 26th and Broad.

The only place offering German cuisine that I'm aware of is Acapella in the former Mr. Patrick Henry B&B at 23rd and Broad. Very intimate pre-war (Civil, that is) bar in the cellar and dining on ground level of this beautiful old house. Patio/garden in the rear.

NEED YOUR HELP! I don't know the name of the place, but I'm sure some of you do. It is a mostly take-out/catering sort of operation, though I'm told there are a few table for dining in. A brave young woman took a chance and opened in a somewhat edgy area in an oddly shaped building on an irregular lot at Leigh street and Jefferson Avenue. I believe it abuts a section of the East End called Union Hill. Apparently, it's been a great success and has regular customers in the gentrifying district and frequent customers from all over town. DOES ANYBODY KNOW ITS NAME?

Edited by burt

In Brent's list of favorites is COMFORT at 200 W. Broad (across Jeferson street from the Empire Theatre). It opened several years ago as The Blue Bottle but never really took off. Now, under new management and retitled COMFORT, it is very popular and, more than that, very good! There are a lot of art galleries along that stretch of Broad, and once a month they stage what they call First Friday Gallery Crawl. COMFORT is sort of THE watering hole for that mob of artistically inclined people, but manages to stay full regularly with its southern style down home cooking and lively bar.

Incidentally, around the corner is the Milk Bottle. Originally built as The Richmond Dairy plant with 3-story milk bottles on each corner, it is now apartment living for a full contingent of downtown lovers. Or should I say lovers of downtown!?

A whole row of 4 and 5 story former furniture stores across from and slightly east of COMFORT on Broad have been gutted and converted to fancy apartments. Rumor has it that another street level restaurant is scheduled to open (maybe it already has) in the former Popkin furniture building at corner of Adams and Broad. Oddly enough, the restaurant is to be called - what else? - POPKINS.

Edited by burt

According to Style Weekly, the singer-songwriter Regan and her husband, contractor Mike Sprenkle, are readying a restored historic building in Petersburg to house their new restaurant WABI SABI. The space is being designed for performing as well as eating. In addition to the stage, there will be a raised sushi bar with pendant lighting. Its exposed brick walls and contemporary details and its menu of Asian and American cuisine look like a winner for this Bollingbrook Street establishment. Opening is expected in the fall.

Viva Petersburg revival!

Edited by burt

Let's move on to more appealing venues - FAR more appealing!

CARYTOWN - What a unique, fascinating, eclectic strip!  It runs for about 8 blocks beginning in the 2800 block of WEST Cary (at The Boulevard) and ends at I-195 (about 3500 block) leading into Cary Street Road where posh Windsor Farms and some of the City's most expensive real estate are located.  It abuts the Museum District to the North and Byrd Park and Maymont are a few blocks south.

This busy strip has numerous boutique style shops and practically no chain operations.  The beautiful Byrd Theater, one of few remaining movie palaces with a single screen and Wurlitzer organ, offers second-run films and occasional stage concerts.  Long lines are the norm on weekend nights.

Many restaurants line the street, and I'll lead off with my personal favorite:

THE TRACK (almost directly across the street from The BYRD.)

And then, there are:

ACACIA, AMICI, CAN CAN, BAKER'S CRUST and NACHO MAMA'S mentioned earlier.

Others:

COPPOLA'S, a very trendy coffee/sandwich type place that, alas, is being priced out of Carytown.  (They will be relocating in an area called UPTOWN on West Main Street.)

NEW YORK DELI.  The aroma on entering is scrumptious.

BABE'S an alternative lifestyle (the politically correct term for gay friendly) establishment offering bands, beer, cocktails and fun for its mostly female clientele.

MOM's SIAM - authentic Thai.  Note:  I believe there are two or three other Thai restaurants in Carytown, but regrettably, I cannot confirm it.  Maybe some readers can fill in on this.

INDOCHINE - Excellent French influenced Vietnamese dishes.

LIMANI for great seafood.

FAROUK'S HOUSE OF INDIA has been in its present location for decades.

DOUBLE T's REAL SMOKED BARBECUE - a knowledgeable friend swears by this place.

Your comments, suggestions and additions please.

:)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

CORRECTION: I mistakenly reported that Coppola's was leaving Carytown. It is not. Its next door neighbor, Rostov's Coffee & Tea, is moving to 1618 W. Main in the Uptown district. COPPOLA'S will remain a Carytown fixture. :)

Thanks, Coupe.  It took a long time coming to Richmond, but now Thai is IN.

The Thai Room, in a wonderful townhouse with garden at 103 East Cary (downtown) was, I believe, Richmond's first Thai.  Incidentally, it is in a beauitifully restored block of Cary between 1st and 2nd street.  The restaurant originally was known as Poor Richard's in the early 70s. :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The full correct name is Beauregard's Thai Room at 103 E. Cary street.

In Brent's list of favorites is COMFORT at 200 W. Broad (across Jeferson street from the Empire Theatre).  It opened several years ago as The Blue Bottle but never really took off.  Now, under new management and retitled COMFORT, it is very popular and, more than that, very good!  There are a lot of art galleries along that stretch of Broad, and once a month they stage what they call First Friday Gallery Crawl.  COMFORT is sort of THE watering hole for that mob of artistically inclined people, but manages to stay full regularly with its southern style down home cooking and lively bar.   

Incidentally, around the corner is the Milk Bottle.  Originally built as The Richmond Dairy plant with 3-story milk bottles on each corner, it is now apartment living for a full contingent of downtown lovers.  Or should I say lovers of downtown!?

A whole row of 4 and 5 story former furniture stores across from and slightly east of COMFORT on Broad have been gutted and converted to fancy apartments.  Rumor has it that another street level restaurant is scheduled to open (maybe it already has) in the former Popkin furniture building at corner of Adams and Broad.  Oddly enough, the restaurant is to be called - what else? - POPKINS.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Chef Tony Capece, formerly with Amici and more recently La Grotta, will be in the kitchen of the new restaurant at Adams and Broad. Its name has not yet been announced, but I sort of doubt it will be POPKIN'S.

• 2 weeks later...

The Northside, once practically void of restaurants, is coming into its own. A few are:

Bella Arte at 1223 Bellevue Ave. - upscale, attractive.

Hermitage Grill - 6010 Hermitage Rd. - good food in fun setting

La Casita - 5204 Brook Rd. - Great Mex

The Glen - 1000 Virginia Center Pkwy - upscale in a new resort hotel

Buz and Ned's Real Barbecue - 1119 N. Boulevard - one of Brent's faves.

Glenn's Tavern - 1509 Chamberlayne Ave. - been there for years.

LA Grill - 5516 Lakeside Ave. - new and popular

Dot's Back Inn - 4030 MacArthur Ave. - nabe music and eating spot

Upper East Side - 7103 Brook Rd. - great jazz

Any comments and or additions?

Edited by burt

Hahaha. Read something funny in RCW today. Someone was confusing Ma-Musu with the Oregon Hill Italian mecca, Mamma 'Zu.

Ma-Musu is African with soul food leanings, and is gaining a big following. It used to be on West Broad near Fieldings (a large private gay club), but has moved to 2nd and Main where Winnie's Carribbean used to be.

Nile Ethiopian Restaurant and Cafe, at 309 N. Laurel got a good review recently in a local publication. No utensils necessary - eat with your hands as is the fashion in the owners' homeland.

A new restaurant is setting up shop at Ma-Musu's former location on W. Broad. Some notable Richmond chefs are involved and, if memory serves, I believe it's going to be Italo/French - but on the light side. Can anybody supply more information, including the name?

What's going into the Power Plant at Riverside on the James? Rumors have floated that a club out of Annapolis called Rams Head Tavern was going to take up residence there, but that talk has diminished. Riverside (commonly referred to as ROTJ in this forum) is comprised of a 15-story office building, a 10-story residential building and the wonderful old Power Plant along the banks of the Haxall canal on Browns Island downtown. The office tower is about 90% leased, and the condos sold out long ago.

IMO, the Power Plant will go the up-scale dining route rather than clubby. The Ladybird building downstream at the Turning basin is undergoing transformation into Toads Place (the name MAY change), a 1400 to 1500 seat capacity spot for musical entertainment with a range of food offerings.

Incidentally, the success of condo sales at ROTJ has spurred the upcoming Vistas on the James at the Turning Basin. All of their condo units sold out a week after it was announced, and shovel won't hit dirt until possibly this fall.

While we're talking about condos downtown, financing has been completed for the old Miller & Rhoads department store conversion to 249 hotel rooms and 140 condos; the vacant Hotel John Marshall is now enclosed with construction fences while it begins conversion to upscale condos. AND just announced, is 22-story CENTENNIAL on Main between 5th and 6th, a mixed-use project containing retail, boutique hotel and condos.

If that's not enough, how about this? Bow-Tie properties out of New York has bought the entire block of Main/Cary/3rd/4th streets to erect housing, retail and a much needed cinemaplex.

And DON'T FORGET! A much enlarged stagehouse for the Carpenter Center, with adjacent facilities for jazz, a restaurant, 200-seat theatre and compatible features, PLUS a multi-purpose Music Hall will occupy the block bound by Broad/Grace/6th/7th streets. Thalhimer's Department store used to occupy much of this site across 6th street from the new Miller & Rhoads Hotel.

And let us not forget the gigantic full-block new Federal Courthouse on the 7th/8th/Broad/Grace street site.

Sorry for the diversion from food, but all of these exciting projects will generate PLENTY of new restaurants.

:)

Edited by burt

It's been said that all Cheesecake Factory franchises are expected to gross at least $10 million per year. According to reports, the operation at the new Virginia Beach Town Center ranks second in the Mid-Atlantic region (DC to Atlanta). The CF at Tyson's Corner is Number 1.

Wonder how Short Pump CF is doing? Any comment?

Edited by burt