Veterans Parks/Monroe Center Redesign

GRDadof3

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Didn't know if anyone has posted about this or not. I'm particularly excited about that section of Monroe Center being redesigned.

8399734669_b4d955bcaa_h.jpg

This concept was my favorite of the three. Adding "festival" space out front of the GRCM, moveable furniture a la RPC, some forethought and design particulars to the monument locations. At least one of the other options provided for "future monuments" near the soldier's triangle, and I posted a comment hoping we never need another monument.

Interesting how one of the stakeholders was lobbying for his preferences. Dude, hush. Let the public add their comments.

I like turning the little building on the western edge into a coffee shop. the park would be a great place to hang out in the spring/summer/fall, IF they can somehow decrease the number of vagrants that occupy the park. I think that for most people it is going to be something of a turnoff to be surrounded by homeless types even if they are not being asked for money.  I am not suggesting kicking them out  but maybe providing them with an alternative of some sort.

The moving of the monument is an interesting choice.  The proposed positioning is closer to its original location, when the roadway of Monroe Center went all of the way to Fulton.  When the section was pedestrianised, the monument was moved away from the intersection some so that it would be more prominent when looking down Monroe Center.  The return to its original location would remove some of its prominence as a terminating vista for the street, however if ever needed (I'm not quite sure it'd ever be much benefit to be honest) it means the roadway could be poked through to Fulton once again.

I definitely like the idea for the current Children's Museum Annex.  It's a curious little building.  I wonder what its original purpose was?

The moving of the monument is an interesting choice.  The proposed positioning is closer to its original location, when the roadway of Monroe Center went all of the way to Fulton.  When the section was pedestrianised, the monument was moved away from the intersection some so that it would be more prominent when looking down Monroe Center.  The return to its original location would remove some of its prominence as a terminating vista for the street, however if ever needed (I'm not quite sure it'd ever be much benefit to be honest) it means the roadway could be poked through to Fulton once again.

I definitely like the idea for the current Children's Museum Annex.  It's a curious little building.  I wonder what its original purpose was?

Moving the soldier monument closer to the main intersection was proposed to enhance its visibility from all directions.

The small building on the Memorial Park grounds was/is a comfort station (public restrooms) and a gathering space for vets; no connection to the GRCM was proposed nor implied. There is no "annex." Zoom in on the plan to see that the "festival space" is on Sheldon, in the street, delineated with special pavers.

I'm referring to its current/recent-past use.  Last time I saw it, it had flags/banners on it reading "Children's Museum Annex."

If it is currently a public restrooms, then some improved signage would certainly be needed.

I poked my head in during ArtPrize 2010, to see what it was, and it held the Children's Museum admin offices at that point.

Archived