15(+) Story Office Building Planned for Downtown

Richmonopoly

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Definitely not bad for paint!

Eventually. I'd like to see all of the streets downtown converted to 2-way, and thus the diagonal street may become unnecessary, but I would love if they could somehow keep that little triangle as a green space/plaza as you have in your mock-up/rendering.

I have to completely disagree on the two way streets as they create many more conflict points from cross-lane left turns plus the mess of double parked cars (I really wish this was enforced more).  As a commuter the intersections become more gridlocked as the traffic is less and there is more potential for accidents.  These same intersections also become more dangerous as a pedestrian (negating the theory of slower traffic being more pedestrian friendly).  One way streets are only really a problem for the suburbanites that are unfamiliar with the area.

That's nice, Cam.  I like the Jeffersonian dome.

TBurban also has a sensational design for that lot.  Can you bring it over here, Tommy?  

For those of you who have not seen them, go to the thread titled 'Designed for Richmond' on the 2nd page of this forum.  Then scroll down to TBurban's entries dated September 7th, 2012 at 2:51PM.

• 1 month later...

"Clayco is fielding interest from potential tenants for the property, Clark said, including companies in the Richmond suburbs that are considering a move downtown."

Any guesses on what name will be atop the new building?  Notice the last line in this article:

"The kind of tenants we’re talking to, we’d be glad to give them the signage,” he said"

also..

"There are certain tenants that’s very important to,” Clark said. “Consumer products companies and banks, they get more pop out of it.”

and...

http://www.richmondbizsense.com/2013/03/20/anchor-tenant-doesnt-want-to-fly-its-flag/

• 1 month later...

It looks like Clayco and Colliers Int'l are really vying for a second tenant to make Gateway Tower 21 stories vs. the current proposal of 15.  They've added a sub-section to their website, "Limited-Time Opportunity."  In addition to the article posted above back in March, it looks like they've formally submitted a POD with the city on April 3.  An additional rendering with potential singnage options has also been posted on their website:

rendering_large.jpg

Definitely hoping for those additional 6 stories. The more floors, the larger the height! Although this location still (and it does upset me a little) is supposed to be home to a signature tower. But this one will probably grow on me. And it's a pretty modern and neat design, especially for contemporary Richmond,

They've got to get started regardless of whether they have another tenant as it has to be completed by July/August 2015 -- that is a FIRM deadline.  My understanding is that they can just keep adding floors up to 21 on the same foundation so they can start without the new tenant.

• 1 month later...

There's "push" and they're actually talking about changing the design a bit and to make the tower taller so that it is a "signature tower" for Richmond.  You can read that part about half way through the article, but it's the first glimmer of hope I've seen regarding this project.  Let's hope they can get more tenants to make it taller and let's get a redesign of the top to make this Richmond's "signature tower!'

http://www.timesdispatch.com/news/local/city-of-richmond/richmond-financing-for-gateway-skyscraper-advances/article_ca5a22ab-1ae4-585c-82dd-db05be0dc2f9.html

Since this must be complete by August 2015, I don't see how there is any time to change the design.  More floors yes, new design, no.  I understand there is no way to go above 20 floors without fundamentally changing the foundation of the building which would greatly increase the cost. 

There's "push" and they're actually talking about changing the design a bit and to make the tower taller so that it is a "signature tower" for Richmond.  You can read that part about half way through the article, but it's the first glimmer of hope I've seen regarding this project.  Let's hope they can get more tenants to make it taller and let's get a redesign of the top to make this Richmond's "signature tower!'

http://www.timesdispatch.com/news/local/city-of-richmond/richmond-financing-for-gateway-skyscraper-advances/article_ca5a22ab-1ae4-585c-82dd-db05be0dc2f9.html

As much as I am excited for a new +20 floor tower in Richmond (especially after Centennial towers never happened) I am hoping the developer was given a history lesson of the significance of that piece of property they are building on as being the last remaing visible piece of the Great Turning basin of the Kanawha Canal sytem.

Furthermore, I would hope they would incorporate a historical element/display in the design that acknowledges this part of Richmond's history.

After all it was George Washington who initially designed the  Kanawha Canal.

Richmond Map 1850s:

richmondcanals.png

The Great Turning Basin as it was in the 1800s:

great-turning-basin-om.jpg

Basin Bank St. (marking the edge of the tow-path of the former Basin:

DawnGTB_today_m.jpg

The Canal is the first in two of Richmond's greatest engineering legacies that has been completely obscured and left uncelebrated.

The other being that Richmond implemented the first successful electrically powered streetcar/trolly system in the entire United States.

All we have to remember of that great accomplishment are partially exposed rails imbedded in in cobblestone,concrete and asphalt throughout the streets of Richmond and Manchester.

Point being, I hope they build a 21st century masterpiece for the skyline, but at street level will acknowledge the significance of the site and the roll it played before the railroad spread across America.

Since this must be complete by August 2015, I don't see how there is any time to change the design.  More floors yes, new design, no.  I understand there is no way to go above 20 floors without fundamentally changing the foundation of the building which would greatly increase the cost.

It's possible if McGuire Woods is able to negotiate a short term extension at James Center.

There are major disagreements regarding the extent to which renovations are needed in the James Center and the parties are millions of dollars apart. The plumbing in that building is a disaster and having the bottom half of the building isn't exactly the ideal situation.

There are major disagreements regarding the extent to which renovations are needed in the James Center and the parties are millions of dollars apart. The plumbing in that building is a disaster and having the bottom half of the building isn't exactly the ideal situation.

Ah!  Got it!  I didn't know any of the background regarding their need for a new space.  Now I know.  Makes sense, plus Richmond gets a new tower...I just hope it is a signature tower, but somehow I doubt it will happen,  :/

BTW, when does this break ground...it has to be soon, right?

• 3 weeks later...

The good news today is that this morning I was browsing around on the Gateway Plaza website and it appears that there are only 4 floors out of 19/20 that aren't leased yet.  Looks like floors 7-9 are still available as well as floor 18 (Penthouse floor).  I didn't know if they had made any progress until I looked at their website this morning.  I'd still like to see someone gobble up another few floors, at least!  Gimme a 25 story building (if the structure can allow it - I think it will handle about 22 -23 floors if I read that correctly a while back).  Let max this one out!

Archived