Montford Drive

Miesian Corners

The way Park Rd is blowing up, it won't be long before it's tentacles are latched on to Southpark, creating one gigantic blob of grey splotched in the middle of a sea of green.  This area needs a transit connection sooner rather than later, but I think a built out greenway is definitely going to help.

Edited by ah59396

• 4 weeks later...

Large redevelopment of the land near Brawley's Beverage, between Mockingbird and Abbey.  Grubb is planning their Link Apartments with possibility of retail and hotel use.

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/blog/real_estate/2015/08/park-road-site-targeted-for-big-mixed-use.html

Edited by rjp212
  • Like 1

I love the area. My only issue with growth is that it is not friendly towards pedestrians. The sidewalk on Park Road heading south is extremely narrow. With the addition of new apartments and businesses, it will be a real challenge. I often worry about tripping and falling in front of a car and truck walking towards Fairview on Park. I don't know how the situation will ever be improved, but it is a huge point of concern.

So this project, which will create ped activity on both sides of Park road,  along with the growth of SouthDil straddling South blvd (and the LRT), along with the merging of Southend and Uptown (separated by 277) has brought Charlotte to a crossroads. We can either facilitate bridging these barriers (a cap, pedestrian islands, road diets or something more innovative) or we can shrug and let auto arteries asphyxiate walkability.

I may be making too much out of this, but I do think how we address this situation is as much of a make-or-break for urbanism in Charlotte as the transit tax.

rant over

I was very surprised that the Parkwood building put all their eggs in truliant's basket. That building is getting very outdated on the interior, and would have been a prime parcel for redev, although I know the neighborhood around there is tough re: traffic concerns. 

• 4 weeks later...

People love the walkability in the neighborhood and want more walkability. Interesting that those were the top choices.

I think this neighborhood has one of the best chances of becoming a yuppie infill neighborhood in the city. It would be a few miles down from the one already started near East Blvd (which has a ways to go).

The CHOPT sign is now up at Park Road Shopping Center - looks like they will be opening very soon.  Also, the former Quaker State (not sure what it has been, but the building is very colorful and has JUMP painted on the building) is be demo'd today (saw the approved site plan - will be a bank and two restaurant spaces).  

^^ It was last a Monkey Joe's. A little fun fact about that building. A friend of mine worked in there waaaay back when it was a restaurant/bar called Champs. He told me that there is a sizeable basement that was used when it was previously a YMCA. From that basement is a tunnel that goes underneath the McDonald's alongside Woodlawn all the way to Park Rd. Said he only walked the length of it once because he swears up and down that it's haunted.

The way Park Rd is blowing up, it won't be long before it's tentacles are latched on to Southpark, creating one gigantic blob of grey splotched in the middle of a sea of green.  This area needs a transit connection sooner rather than later, but I think a built out greenway is definitely going to help.

The crazy thing is that I think that whole south charlotte area will be the last corridor to get mass transit. Partly because their affluent tax base anger. But also it doesnt help that the park rd/Providence rd area was so heavily built out with suburban filth that it would be really, really difficult to do. I mean, widening the road for rail in the median is hard when the land you'd have to take is someone's subdivision. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Perhaps we should change this to Montford Area Projects.  But two new Townhome communities being planned in the area. 

49 units at Halsted and Woodlawn.

http://ww.charmeck.org/Planning/Rezoning/2016/001-016/2016-013 site plan.pdf

19 units across from St. Ann's Catholic Church.

http://ww.charmeck.org/Planning/Rezoning/2016/001-016/2016-004 site plan.pdf