Legacy Union (former Charlotte Observer redevelopment)

Missmylab4

Hooligans, Belfast Mill, Valhalla, The Wine Room, Metropolitan, The French Quarter and Nefelies are all open at night.  Seems like quite a bit to me.

I really dislike a few of those places but the lower 1/2 of the half block IS active. So we have 1/4 of a block to build on. If the upper block was used at night and Latta open, including upper floors, we could really have something exciting! I've never been upstairs and many of the places on the first floor are built around a lunch crowd. It's a beautiful, yet severely underutilized, building in a prime spot. Why? Lack of vision?

I really dislike a few of those places but the lower 1/2 of the half block IS active. So we have 1/4 of a block to build on. If the upper block was used at night and Latta open, including upper floors, we could really have something exciting! I've never been upstairs and many of the places on the first floor are built around a lunch crowd. It's a beautiful, yet severely underutilized, building in a prime spot. Why? Lack of vision?

It is only in the last 5 years or so sort of becoming visible again from total obscurity, and the resurgence to what it is now, even if not totally to your taste, is something. When I first moved uptown 8 years ago the only thing of worth open was French Quarter, and everything else was either vacant or lunch-only.

I do think an overhaul of the Latta interior along with weekend and nighttime hours is inevitable, and once access from Tryon is opened up through there it will really come alive. Even in its current state, personally its my favorite part of uptown and I genuinely like most of the bars even if none of my favorites are there.

• Like 1

I disagree.  I do not think that Latta Arcade has ever been obscure.... and just because it is not active 24hrs a day, or at night (when you are there)...  does not mean it is underutilized.  Latta Arcade was a POWERHOUSE when I worked uptown 2000-2003, has been since, and was before that.  I rocked Gus' Sir Beef as often as my arteries would allow, and patronized as many small shops in there as I could.  It was elbow to elbow every day of the year no matter the weather outside.  Latta Arcade rocks, and it has for something like 100 years.  If you want to "fix" it good luck.  I think those who are running it probably know what they are doing.

I disagree.  I do not think that Latta Arcade has ever been obscure.... and just because it is not active 24hrs a day, or at night (when you are there)...  does not mean it is underutilized.  Latta Arcade was a POWERHOUSE when I worked uptown 2000-2003, has been since, and was before that.  I rocked Gus' Sir Beef as often as my arteries would allow, and patronized as many small shops in there as I could.  It was elbow to elbow every day of the year no matter the weather outside.  Latta Arcade rocks, and it has for something like 100 years.  If you want to "fix" it good luck.  I think those who are running it probably know what they are doing.

"Total obscurity" may have been too strong, but for years it seemed underutilized as I lived uptown but worked outside of it, so from 2008-2011 or so I almost never got to see anything open there since it was so lunch-focused, and it remained mostly off-limits to people like me. I don't think it needs "fixing" at all, and was just saying that I think the natural track it is currently on is solid. 

And Catalyst is basically a corporate dormitory for Wells Fargo....so, I guess it all makes sense???

To somehow try to loop this back to the Observer site, if retail does become the primary use for that site, I see Stonewall as the primary growth corridor for retail, not S Church.  Not sure what Duke's long term plans are at their current fortress, but if they "could" anchor an office component at Observer site as well, and that would open up redeveloping both their current building block, as well as the parking deck between Mint/Graham.

The only impediment to then making Stonewall a full-on shopping street then becomes the Convention Center, and its loading drive down Stonewall.

And Catalyst is basically a corporate dormitory for Wells Fargo....so, I guess it all makes sense???

To somehow try to loop this back to the Observer site, if retail does become the primary use for that site, I see Stonewall as the primary growth corridor for retail, not S Church. Not sure what Duke's long term plans are at their current fortress, but if they "could" anchor an office component at Observer site as well, and that would open up redeveloping both their current building block, as well as the parking deck between Mint/Graham.

The only impediment to then making Stonewall a full-on shopping street then becomes the Convention Center, and its loading drive down Stonewall.

Murals, maybe interactive features.

Westin Hotel will be just as much as a dead space as the convention center.

Yeah, sorry for the fork. Just dreaming about the best spot for a retail block if the observer isn't it.

I meant to ask, is the closed goodyear place part of this parcel or can it be?

The closed Goodyear and the rest of the block is Tryon Place. So you will get 35k retail right there plus Apartments, Hotel and Office component.

http://www.experiencetryonplace.com

Edited by Guest

• 2 weeks later...

To continue the conversation of Stonewall corridor hotels, I think this site work really good, as well.  In my vision of keeping the existing building, I could see a high-rise hotel at the corner of Tryon and Hill Sts.

There was a core-sampling machine boring holes straight through the concrete parking deck in the rear (along Hill St) last week.

Does anyone know what they're doing at the back corner of the observer lot, at 277, church, and hill st?  Looks like a small cell tower or something. Just seemed really strange given that the building is for sale and the CO intends to move out.

• 1 month later...

Totally disagree. It's basically a cafeteria for wells Fargo - Spillover from the oversteet mall. I'm talking about utilizing it in a matter that this block could become a destination.

The base is large enough to house my favoite, Marks and Spencer's and their food court/dining area.  What a great location for that.  Is there a Marks and Spencer's in the U.S.?

• 2 weeks later...

I hate to bump an old thread with no information but now that Lincoln Harris is set to close by late October, has any heard any rumors that sort of confirm that Lincoln could be joining forces with Simon? Lincoln Harris just seems like a developer that if you're in the loop of development, then surely Lincoln Harris is a place you have good contacts.

They seem to have their lips sealed. All articles online seem to indicate Lincoln Harris has declined to comment.