Gaslight Village

upnorthnow

Just curious, moved away a couple of years ago and wondered what if anything has happened with the Jade Pig development there.

Technically I don't think Jade Pig Development exists any more, does it? I thought the one partner joined CWD?

I don't know if they are "not following through". The Derby was a pretty bold plan, and it hit at the absolute worst time for housing. I think the plan got pummeled by the economy. I could see it coming back. The rest of the development seems pretty vibrant and the Row Houses (which also stalled at the same time but re-emerged last year) on Bagley are almost done / sold. It seems like it would be a good time to start floating this idea again.

Joe

• Like 1

Yes, Scott Wierda, but I think he still represents the property. That's a shame that they never followed through with their plans.

Yeah, I would agree with Joe that it wasn't that they didn't follow through, I believe they never met the bank's threshold for starting, which back then was at least 50% pre-sold under contract. It might be even higher threshold for new high-rise condo projects now. Banks are still acting wonky, and getting a new condo to appraise might be tricky.

• 5 months later...

Now this is a great project! Density is definitely the way to go!

I would love to see more of this in GR. One thing I notice about EGR is that they are more willing to take chances and let homes go so that new up-to-date ones can be built. I've seen this many times driving around. There seems to be multiple home construction projects going on during the summer at any given moment all around their town.

We here, in some instances, have a bizarre tendency to want to turn huge areas into "historic" districts just because the houses are old. New and contemporary designs like this are practically non-existent in central GR. That one modern home on Diamond near Wealthy had to go through heck just to get built. They freaked out over its design, yet the homes next to it aren't really all that well kept. Go figure.

Edited by GR_Urbanist

Now this is a great project! Density is definitely the way to go!

I would love to see more of this in GR. One thing I notice about EGR is that they are more willing to take chances and let homes go so that new up-to-date ones can be built. I've seen this many times driving around. There seems to be multiple home construction projects going on during the summer at any given moment all around there town.

We here, in some instances, have a bizarre tendency to want to turn huge areas into "historic" districts just because the house are old. New and contemporary designs like this are practically non-existent in central GR. That one modern home on Diamond near Wealthy had to go through heck just to get built. They freaked out over it's design, yet the homes next to it aren't really all that well kept. Go figure.

A neighborhood has to be a really hot neighborhood (for people willing to buy and live in the home, not rent it out) before an infill project like this can happen. East Hills behind ICCF is one example. East GR is land-locked, and there are maybe a handful of lots that have never been built on. So if someone wants to live there bad enough, you get creative solutions like the guy on Lake Drive that is turning that huge mansion 90 degrees or so to get two more houses on the lot.

There may be some areas of GR that are getting close. It'd have to be the right neighborhood, the right number of lots that could be assembled, and the right developer at the right time. A lot would have to be "right" in other words. :)

Downtown for newly constructed condos is getting close, and the market is coming back, but the only real projects to look historically at were all financial sinkholes to get off the ground (Icon, River House, Fitzgerald). That's the view from over here at least.

Interesting project. I thought I heard of this a week or so ago, but had no idea of the scope. I figured it was the same as Lovett (the next street west) where several houses had been torn down and rebuilt.

I'm curious to the price point for these units. The area around the high school is seeing some density that I am surprised that the old Jade Pig project has not been revived in done format.

Every time I see a house bull dozed in EGR I figure the city is happy as the property tax bill probably doubles or triples in some instances.

I have to say, I admire Rapid Growth's ongoing commitment to avoiding photo captions at all cost.  Why provide people with any detail on the picture at which they are looking?  A sense of mystery will make it more interesting...

"Hey, look at our home page!  Like these big pictures scrolling across the top?  Want to know what it is?  Where it is?  Dream on sucker.  We're not saying.  If you were cool like us you'd already know."

A neighborhood has to be a really hot neighborhood (for people willing to buy and live in the home, not rent it out) before an infill project like this can happen. East Hills behind ICCF is one example. East GR is land-locked, and there are maybe a handful of lots that have never been built on. So if someone wants to live there bad enough, you get creative solutions like the guy on Lake Drive that is turning that huge mansion 90 degrees or so to get two more houses on the lot.

There may be some areas of GR that are getting close. It'd have to be the right neighborhood, the right number of lots that could be assembled, and the right developer at the right time. A lot would have to be "right" in other words. :)

Downtown for newly constructed condos is getting close, and the market is coming back, but the only real projects to look historically at were all financial sinkholes to get off the ground (Icon, River House, Fitzgerald). That's the view from over here at least.

Still, I think it's something that EGR is willing to tear down old houses for higher density, and I think the area could use some more successful precedents of this.  These projects put neighborhoods like SWAN to shame.  SWAN's market is not as hot as EGR's, but they've certainly tabled some good proposals in the past, and to say they're reluctant to add density is an understatement.  I mean, one neighborhood borders downtown, and the other is a quaint, upscale suburb.  Not knowing any better, which do you think would be more insular, and which would be more likely to see this project happen?

Anyways, interesting stuff, and it's nice that Gaslight Village is still finding room to build more retail space.

Edited by RegalTDP

I have to say, I admire Rapid Growth's ongoing commitment to avoiding photo captions at all cost.  Why provide people with any detail on the picture at which they are looking?  A sense of mystery will make it more interesting...

"Hey, look at our home page!  Like these big pictures scrolling across the top?  Want to know what it is?  Where it is?  Dream on sucker.  We're not saying.  If you were cool like us you'd already know."

I don't know if there's anything worse than big captions on masthead photos on a website like Rapid Growth. It's main purpose (the masthead photo) is to be "contextual," not informative, FWIW.

ModelD is the same way:

http://modeldmedia.com/

Still, I think it's something that EGR is willing to tear down old houses for higher density, and I think the area could use some more successful precedents of this.  These projects put neighborhoods like SWAN to shame.  SWAN's market is not as hot as EGR's, but they've certainly tabled some good proposals in the past, and to say they're reluctant to add density is an understatement.  I mean, one neighborhood borders downtown, and the other is a quaint, upscale suburb.  Not knowing any better, which do you think would be more insular, and which would be more likely to see this project happen?

Anyways, interesting stuff, and it's nice that Gaslight Village is still finding room to build more retail space.

I think SWAN is an anomoly. There are neighborhoods on the SW and SE sides that are having older (pretty much outdated) houses torn down to make way for new housing and mixed-use developments. LINC is doing quite a bit of it in their Southtown Square project.

• 7 months later...

With the Mews on Croswell selling well and dirt moving, I walked by the fenced off area of the Derby. I am a little surprised with the real estate market recovering there is zero movement on this. Any chances this project gets resurrected?

Thought the exact same thing when I was in EGR this weekend. Seems like it would be a good time to dust off this plan. 

Joe

With the Mews on Croswell selling well and dirt moving, I walked by the fenced off area of the Derby. I am a little surprised with the real estate market recovering there is zero movement on this. Any chances this project gets resurrected?

In this day and age, you pretty much have to have a condo tower all pre-sold before construction starts. That's a lot of real estate to sell in a very short period of time to keep momentum going, even in hot EGR.

• 8 months later...

That's just the first of two from what I understand. That yellowish looking building in the background will be the next to go. (The other condos are nearing completion on the opposite side of the street)

Yup. And I noticed today the foundation is in for the second live/work commercial building at the North end of the site. Nice looking project. I hear they dumped their sales guy because they weren't selling fast enough though. 

Yup. And I noticed today the foundation is in for the second live/work commercial building at the North end of the site. Nice looking project. I hear they dumped their sales guy because they weren't selling fast enough though. 

I was surprised to see the # of units that were still on the market granted that the other project sold out relatively quick in a worse market then it is today. I'm pretty sure they held off on that second live/work until it sold (which it looks like from GRAR it did)