Development Projects - Belknap Lookout Area

GRDadof3

This plan sounds a bit like the townhouse project that was proposed for Seward on the Near West Side. According to the article, 5 homes are proposed to be demolished.

http://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapids/ind...dents_obje.html

There should be more details when the May 14th agenda packet is published on the city's website. I know people who live in Belknap Lookout, but the situation to me sounds a lot like the Seward Ave proposals.

The Artesian Group, which owns or controls more than 50 properties in the neighborhood overlooking downtown and the Michigan Hill medical complex, wants to tear down five houses and replace them with new apartment buildings that will feature six two-bedroom apartments.

Them again? I'm writing a letter.

So this is for 5 separate buildings spread over a couple of different blocks... not sure if that's better or worse. It is different from the Seward project though. I can't fore sure but it seems like there will be 5 buildings each with 6 apartments. That's a big change in density for a 50 foot lot. But maybe I'm reading it wrong.

So this is for 5 separate buildings spread over a couple of different blocks... not sure if that's better or worse. It is different from the Seward project though. I can't fore sure but it seems like there will be 5 buildings each with 6 apartments. That's a big change in density for a 50 foot lot. But maybe I'm reading it wrong.

The map wasn't there when I first posted this article. Now I see that it's nothing like the Seward proposal. It's more like brownstones squeezed between houses (which is not like it's never been done before historically).

Wouldn't increased density be a good thing?

The map wasn't there when I first posted this article. Now I see that it's nothing like the Seward proposal. It's more like brownstones squeezed between houses (which is not like it's never been done before historically).

Wouldn't increased density be a good thing?

Yes, I would think so. Especially if each one is somewhat unique-ish. But to go from a single family (rental?) to a six unit buildings with each unit a two bedroom is quite the jump. Brownstones-type buildings usually have 3 to 4 units typically, no? I'm just not sure based on the limited info available. I can see why the neighborhood is raising questions.

Yes, I would think so. Especially if each one is somewhat unique-ish. But to go from a single family (rental?) to a six unit buildings with each unit a two bedroom is quite the jump. Brownstones-type buildings usually have 3 to 4 units typically, no? I'm just not sure based on the limited info available. I can see why the neighborhood is raising questions.

You'd have to look at the specific houses being targeted though. From my observations, some houses in that neighborhood have already been split into 2 or even 3 units. Going from 2-4 units is still a 100% jump, but that's less than a 400% jump in density.

I do think that the master plan should be finished before something like this is attempted. Similar to the Silver Line, the developer will need to convince the neighborhood that his plans will be a good for the neighborhood, and get allowances for this type of development into the Master Plan. One of the I've heard and read about, is that new developments like this will make the neighborhood less affordable and those concerns need to be addressed as well.

It seems like the increased density at Newberry Place would be an example that could be used to support the idea. But, it's really something those in the neighborhood need to address.

• 3 months later...

MLive just reported some of the details of Belknap Lookout's Area Specific Plan. A small map is included.

Plan takes shap for neighborhood around GR's Medical Mile - MLive

The status of the townhouses are mentioned as well:

[Later this month] the commission will hear a proposal by Concept Design Group, a Grand Rapids firm that wants to build five six-unit apartment buildings along Livingston Avenue NE...

Michael Van Scelven of Concept Design said the project may not fit the latest plan, but will be consistent with development in the neighborhood. "In the end, it needs to align with economic reality," he said.

The proponents of the latest plan are hoping the Planning Commission will reject the Concept Design proposal while their plan works its way through a six-month approval process that ultimately will make it part of the city's Master Plan.

Not Sure this is how you do this, but there is a bunch more information at fox news, they did a story on it last night. I tried posting the link here, we will see if it works.

Interesting stuff.

http://www.fox17online.com/videobeta/watch...4&src=front

Thanks for the link, and welcome to UP, T.mg.

Those drawings for the proposed townhouses look pretty decent. I hope that now they can get them put in a roughly agreed upon area and move forward with making some progress in this neighborhood, but not pushing out all of the current residents, either.

Fotoman thanks for the welcome.

I read whats going on here from time to time to keep up with whats going on in the city.

Actually the two images of the townhomes are what prompted me to sign up and post. You guys here usually catch that stuff before anyone. Thats my good deed for the day.

Those images look amazing, especially the first brick image.

Would be great to see happen in this city.

Those images look too good to be true. While I should be really excited about this, I'm actually a lot more skeptical now, if only because we've seen project after project promise great things and then deliver crap. Maybe if it were one of the more established redevelopment companies like Bazzani I'd be less worried. Still, I'll hope for the best.

Who is the guy here who gets all the cool development images before anyone else. Like to see if he could get the high res images of those buildings?

That's GRDadof3. Some of those images I believe come from planning commission E-packets. Some he gets because he knows lots of people. Some he gets just because he's so handsome. :whistling::whistling::dontknow:

That's GRDadof3. Some of those images I believe come from planning commission E-packets. Some he gets because he knows lots of people. Some he gets just because he's so handsome. :whistling::whistling::dontknow:

Ha, thanks Josh. :blush: I put a request out for some updated drawings. I'll see what I get back. I too would be surprised if the brick ones get built.

Ha, thanks Josh. :blush: I put a request out for some updated drawings. I'll see what I get back. I too would be surprised if the brick ones get built.

Clearly, Bozo the Clown also gets a lot of development tips.

40680832.jpg

http://www.latimes.com/news/obituaries/la-...45.photogallery

I think it's the red hair that does it. :rofl:

Edited by fotoman311

Jeeze guys and girls, where's the optimism, the hope for our city. Why would you guys be surprised if the brick ones were built? Oh, and didn't get the bozo joke, but I did want to laugh along with you guys!

Good luck on the image hunt!

I think he's picking on my Irish red hair T.mg. :P

I'm optimistic that new townhouses will be built. I just don't see high-end $300+/sf townhouses going in. That price range hasn't done well anywhere in Grand Rapids for several years now.

I think he's picking on my Irish red hair T.mg. :P

I'm optimistic that new townhouses will be built. I just don't see high-end $300+/sf townhouses going in. That price range hasn't done well anywhere in Grand Rapids for several years now.

"It's easy to halve the potato where there's love." - Irish proverb

All in good fun on UP-GR. :thumbsup:

I just hope that the townhouses are not built by Allen Edwin. :)

GRdaddy,

I would agree about something in that range being a tough sell. They would have to be at least less then the average square foot price downtown, which I know a couple of years ago was between 200 and 250 sq.ft. not sure now.

I can see how the bozo joke would be funny now.

GRdaddy,

I would agree about something in that range being a tough sell. They would have to be at least less then the average square foot price downtown, which I know a couple of years ago was between 200 and 250 sq.ft. not sure now.

I can see how the bozo joke would be funny now.

Yeah, Rooks was on the low end (Union Square/Boardwalk) starting at $180 or so/sf. Icon and Fitzgerald on the high end of the scale.

Actually, I think maybe Hillmount was even lower than $180/sf. Townhouses like Fairmount Square would probably do well in Belknap Lookout.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

A friend who lives on Lafayette says that they were offered pretty much a blank check for their house. Her husband has spent years fixing it up, making sure to use era-appropriate materials...and along comes A Housing Investor and says "here." Without ever seeing the inside.

A friend who lives on Lafayette says that they were offered pretty much a blank check for their house. Her husband has spent years fixing it up, making sure to use era-appropriate materials...and along comes A Housing Investor and says "here." Without ever seeing the inside.

Can you have them come to our rentals on Coit and Clancy? Actually, after buying them at the peak of the market (can't see the future) and then spending a lot to fix them up they're now cash flowing. Then again, a blank check? Yeah, send 'em. =)