Development Projects - Belknap Lookout Area

GRDadof3

Speaking of highways, this angle of the gateway project site almost makes it look like I-196 doesn't exist, like it's a capped freeway. :)

22638116030_aed2cb07bc_b.jpg

22204955743_971f33dd00_b.jpg

Maybe when GVSU also builds on this side, a capped freeway might actually be a reality (with enough pressure at the state level). If they sell the development rights over top of the cap, it might actually pay for itself. 

Edited by GRDadof3

• 2 weeks later...

They have started moving dirt on the Clancy Lofts project!! A crew has been out there staking and leveling the site for the past week or so. I guess the plan is to build the rowhouse building first nearest the convenience store at Clancy and Fairbanks. After that, it's any bodies guess when they will do anything else on this site.

The Artesian Group is also gearing up for another big project on the 600 block of Coit. If you go to their Facebook page they posted some renderings of the condo buildings that would fill the entire block. Essentially that entire block would come down except for a house or two.

I guess there is going to be a ground breaking ceremony next Monday, the 23rd, for the Gateway project by Orion. At least that site won't be a dirt pit eye sore like the Clancy Lofts has been for the past year and a half.

And lastly, there was a neighborhood development meeting about a month ago where a developer was planning on putting in townhomes/condos along Fairview just north of the houses where Trowbridge dead ends at the bluff, which I thought looked nice and would've been a nice addition to the neighborhood with the condos overlooking Monroe North, but the home owners of the Trowbridge houses literally said "not in my backyard"...

And just like that they essentially ran that developer out of the neighborhood.

• 2 weeks later...

Foundations for both projects are going in. Every morning when I'm leaving for the office, there are usually a few trucks outside the lofts project waiting to haul away mounds of dirt.

Clancy Lofts:

cb618635789c155e18d2e34e32d21dc3.jpg

And the Gateway:

803e0e5522eee9d887178adffe619c48.jpg

This is from the corner of Coit and Hastings where they say the restaurant will be. I took that pic a few days ago and they have already made a ton more progress on the foundation.

• 1 month later...

Well I sure was surprised on my way home from work yesterday to see steel going up on the Gateway project.

d4b03c691e5330fca29ff811b2089e3a.jpg

Also they have dug down quite a bit under where the apartment portion of this project will be and have started a rather tall foundation wall along Clancy, does anyone know if there will be underground parking for this project? It was tough to get a good picture of the size of the foundation wall.

7aa74be3f3558cb21daeb6bad72f6dfe.jpg

1a3d4e565bd3c35298aa825cedaef887.jpg

And across Trowbridge there is now this:

9d147f8577b704a199c3ea01b665861b.jpg

They have started going vertical on the right most building on the previous picture with the foundations going in for the two middle buildings.

ebf8fbe379a90a2885bf8caa1af6ef8a.jpg

2 hours ago, mielsonwheels said:

Well I sure was surprised on my way home from work yesterday to see steel going up on the Gateway project.

Also they have dug down quite a bit under where the apartment portion of this project will be and have started a rather tall foundation wall along Clancy, does anyone know if there will be underground parking for this project? It was tough to get a good picture of the size of the foundation wall.

It's hard to say, from the most recent site plans I've posted on here it doesn't look like underground parking but it may have changed.

• 5 weeks later...

I'll try to get some new pictures of both the Gateway and Clancy Lofts projects sometime this week, with the weather being a bit nicer it's been easier to motivate myself to get the dog out for a walk.

In new development news, the Artesian Group has released a nice video showing their newest project:

http://www.theartesiangroup.net/untitled.html

This is the block between Trowbridge/Fairbanks and Coit and the shared alley with the Clancy Lofts project.  The garages shown at about the 30 second mark are the alley side of the project (in case it isn't that obvious).

41 minutes ago, mielsonwheels said:

I'll try to get some new pictures of both the Gateway and Clancy Lofts projects sometime this week, with the weather being a bit nicer it's been easier to motivate myself to get the dog out for a walk.

In new development news, the Artesian Group has released a nice video showing their newest project:

http://www.theartesiangroup.net/untitled.html

This is the block between Trowbridge/Fairbanks and Coit and the shared alley with the Clancy Lofts project.  The garages shown at about the 30 second mark are the alley side of the project (in case it isn't that obvious).

I took a few last week, but the more the better. I don't recall seeing anything about the Artesian project. How long has that been in the works? 

40 minutes ago, GRDadof3 said:

I took a few last week, but the more the better. I don't recall seeing anything about the Artesian project. How long has that been in the works? 

I believe I first heard about it last Sept/Oct or so, so anywhere from 4-6 months...  I think he said his plan was for a spring/summer start.

And I saw your project update post from last week, but with how fast they are moving, especially on the Gateway project, I'll try to get a weekly update.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/22/2016 at 1:01 PM, mielsonwheels said:

I believe I first heard about it last Sept/Oct or so, so anywhere from 4-6 months...  I think he said his plan was for a spring/summer start.

And I saw your project update post from last week, but with how fast they are moving, especially on the Gateway project, I'll try to get a weekly update.

That project is on the next Planning Commission agenda, FYI:

http://grandrapidscitymi.iqm2.com/Citizens/Board/1007-Planning-Commission

F. (2:40 p.m.) Clancy, Matilda, Lafayette Rezoning Address:

57, 126, & 128 Coldbrook St NE,

915, 1025 & 1027 Clancy Ave NE,

201 Matilda St NE, and

904 Lafayette Ave NE Applicant:

City of Grand Rapids Requesting: To rezone the subject properties from SD-IT Special Districts – Industrial Transportation and TN-LDR Traditional Neighborhoods – Low-Density Residential to TN-TCC Traditional Neighborhoods – Transitional City Center to facilitate future mixed-use development

This caught my eye looking at that agenda.  Maybe somebody with better posting skills could put together a map that shows where all these properties are in the neighborhood. I wonder if somebody has a project or two waiting in the wings for those lots.  Also, there is a neighborhood meeting March 8th to discuss a potential development at 613 Fairview, again. Last time the developer had quite a lot of pushback from neighbors regarding his project, I would love to attend this again just to watch tempers rise, but some recent family additions have made getting out of the house rather difficult.

Edited by mielsonwheels

3 hours ago, mielsonwheels said:

F. (2:40 p.m.) Clancy, Matilda, Lafayette Rezoning Address:

57, 126, & 128 Coldbrook St NE,

915, 1025 & 1027 Clancy Ave NE,

201 Matilda St NE, and

904 Lafayette Ave NE Applicant:

City of Grand Rapids Requesting: To rezone the subject properties from SD-IT Special Districts – Industrial Transportation and TN-LDR Traditional Neighborhoods – Low-Density Residential to TN-TCC Traditional Neighborhoods – Transitional City Center to facilitate future mixed-use development

This caught my eye looking at that agenda.  Maybe somebody with better posting skills could put together a map that shows where all these properties are in the neighborhood. I wonder if somebody has a project or two waiting in the wings for those lots.  Also, there is a neighborhood meeting March 8th to discuss a potential development at 613 Fairview, again. Last time the developer had quite a lot of pushback from neighbors regarding his project, I would love to attend this again just to watch tempers rise, but some recent family additions have made getting out of the house rather difficult.

That's all of this property up here, surrounding what used to be the Oliver Machinery building that burned down last year. Sounds like a similar rezoning as what they did down at Godfrey and Market.

Coldbrook.JPG

14 minutes ago, temporary.name said:

Wow..a Porsche Carrera GT. So I take it this is going to be all one unit with that much wealth.

I laughed more when I saw the garbage truck. I thought that was an odd element to a rendering (unless they are trying to show service access). 

Joe

14 hours ago, gvsusean said:

God, GVSU has a lot of land! Are they gping to elimintae the side streets and make a contiguous campus? 

I don't know, but I do know the city has signed an agreement with GVSU to have heavy input into how they develop the land (GVSU is not allowed to clear cut/demolish the entire thing if they develop it in phases, for instance).

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, ctpgr34 said:

Virtual flyover of the project.  Sounds like in the 200k-300k+ levels for cost  http://www.theartesiangroup.net/untitled.html

I just read that it sounds like they're going to be condos and not apartments. 

http://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapids/index.ssf/2016/03/coit_square_grand_rapids_condo.html