20 Fulton E, Mixed Use Development

GRDadof3

According to this month's DDA agenda this project is to start at the end of this year or early 2016.

Also looks like they have changed architects for a different design, and that might have been part of the delay.

http://grcity.us/design-and-development-services/Downtown-Development-Authority/Downtown Development/DDA August 12 Agenda Packet.pdf

• 3 months later...
9 hours ago, GRDadof3 said:

20 Fulton St E is on the city's commercial permit report. I don't recall seeing it on there before. Pioneer Construction as the applicant. 

I've been on this sight WAY to long to be asking this question so I apologize.   Is a commercial permit, a permit for construction?  As in this is an indicator they are getting ready to build?

10 hours ago, MJLO said:

I've been on this sight WAY to long to be asking this question so I apologize.   Is a commercial permit, a permit for construction?  As in this is an indicator they are getting ready to build?

It says:  CONSTRUCTION OF NEW 12 STORY BUILDING WITH PARKING RAMP

Sometimes on these big projects, like MSU for instance, it will say:  "This permit application applies only to the foundations, structural steel and underground utilities. Balance of work will having drawings issued in July"

But 20 Fulton St E does not. Just says the above. And that it's "IN REVIEW." From my experience in looking at this report for about the last year (when it was made public online) a project goes on this when the construction drawings are mostly finished and it's ready to get the ball rolling. 

So with this project at one end of Fulton and Venue Tower at the other, we may be in for a busy construction season next year. 

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, chgrnative said:

None that I can share at this point .  It does look to be 12 floors, 133' tall and parking garage has some sort of mesh/screen on the Sheldon St. side.  I've only seen black and white copies.

What's the big secret??!!  So at 133 feet tall it's a little shorter than Grand Rapids City Hall and a little taller than 240 Ionia, which is another Brookstone project. The Galley on Fulton is supposedly 179 feet tall. 

I didn't mind the design of the first proposal , I know some did not like it at all.  I hope this one is not overly value engineered....   Doesn't the new design have to go before the planning commission and city commission again before they can begin construction with the changes?

3 hours ago, chgrnative said:

None that I can share at this point .  It does look to be 12 floors, 133' tall and parking garage has some sort of mesh/screen on the Sheldon St. side.  I've only seen black and white copies.

Is it a big departure from the last rendering? Hoping it doesn't get value-engineered to death?

Joe

2 hours ago, MJLO said:

It makes sense,  Brookstone is wrapping up their other projects aren't they?  This will pretty much be the only project they will be working on.

AFAIK, yes it will be the only project they are working on. Their State St project appears to be wrapped up. 

On 12/1/2015, 4:03:02, mpchicago said:

What's the big secret??!!  So at 133 feet tall it's a little shorter than Grand Rapids City Hall and a little taller than 240 Ionia, which is another Brookstone project. The Galley on Fulton is supposedly 179 feet tall. 

I didn't mind the design of the first proposal , I know some did not like it at all.  I hope this one is not overly value engineered....   Doesn't the new design have to go before the planning commission and city commission again before they can begin construction with the changes?

After re-reading this it's sort of a bummer that it will be this short. Basically the same height as 240 Ionia. At least it's something there I guess. I hope the retail space fills quickly (if they are keeping retail space?)

On 12/8/2015, 8:50:55, GRDadof3 said:

After re-reading this it's sort of a bummer that it will be this short. Basically the same height as 240 Ionia. At least it's something there I guess. I hope the retail space fills quickly (if they are keeping retail space?)

I was looking at 240 Ionia today and there's no way it's close to 133 feet. It's only 6 floors of residential on top of 1 floor of retail. The 128 feet they show on Emporis for 240 Ionia was for the old proposal, which was supposed to be 12 stories. 

If 20 Fulton East is still slated to be about 12 stories, then it hasn't changed much from the previously released plan:

11229441286_ab778cc0eb_b.jpg

4 hours ago, MJLO said:

I actually like that rendering, it'll be interesting to see what that looks like from the other side of Monroe Center.

I don't know if that's what the final design looks like. That one is from 2013, if you can believe it. 

They were going to town on the site today, closing it in with concrete blocks for the construction fencing. 

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, joeDowntown said:

Drove by today and there is a ton of equipment at 20 E. Fulton, including a crane (for you crane lovers). 

When will we see new renderings? It looks like they are full speed ahead on this project. 

Joe

I got a shot of it today. It's hard to get a good vantage point. 

23590668373_25c111b745_b.jpg

• 2 weeks later...