More Accolades for Nashville

Guest 5th & Main Urbanite

My last job, we'd hire temp workers and sometimes I'd go and drop them off there (it's where they were living at the time). Needless to say my gun stayed close by (but unseen of course). Got a lot of weird glares from the residents there while dropping them off. 

They may have thought you were their pimp.  :shades:

Eventbrite charts Nashville expansion

http://www.tennessean.com/story/money/2014/03/27/eventbrite-charts-nashville-expansion/6938915/

From the Tennessean:

Eventbrite plans to offer flexible hours to its Nashville employees. Why?

Kilian: Our team can work from home, work from our office, work in four-hour blocks and choose their own shifts.

Durin: We believe that in creating enough flexibility in these four-hour work shifts that folks are going to be able to open up their lives in brand new ways. (It allows you) to be able to take a shift in the morning and catch lunch with an old friend you haven't seen in a while and then hop on the phone again in the afternoon and log off to spend time with your family, whatever combination makes sense for you, your life, your family, your loved ones.

There has also been a commitment to office massages, meal stipends and gym stipends. Tell me the thinking behind that.

Kilian: Fundamentally it aligns with our concept if you hire great people and treat them really well, they do a good job. They want to. They feel empowered. They feel valued and aligned in the mission of the company.

Geesh....wish I worked there!!!

Edited by nashmoney
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Enovate Medical to invest $13.1M, add 410 jobs in Murfreesboro

http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/blog/2014/04/enovate-medical-to-invest-13-1m-add-410-jobs-in.html

This is great news for the BORO area...they have been on fire lately with job expansions.

From the Bizjournal:

“The medical device industry is an important and growing part of our state’s strong economy, and today’s announcement supports our goal of becoming the No. 1 location in the Southeast for high-quality jobs," Gov. Bill Haslam said in a news release.

At a news conference Wednesday, Haslam said Nashville's strong health care industry made Enovate's decision to expand a "perfect match."

I like how Haslam touts Nashville and the state as an economic powerhouse, yet when it comes to issues like mass transportation, he's silent. Not trying to be political, but if TN is going to be come the "No. 1 location in the Southeast for high quality jobs", then we need the support of the the state and solid plans put into action for mass transportation - STATEWIDE.

We are not going to be able to get to these jobs if we are stuck in traffic.

• Like 1

I like how Haslam touts Nashville and the state as an economic powerhouse, yet when it comes to issues like mass transportation, he's silent. Not trying to be political, but if TN is going to be come the "No. 1 location in the Southeast for high quality jobs", then we need the support of the the state and solid plans put into action for mass transportation - STATEWIDE.

Haslam is in a tough spot, especially right now. I don't know his feelings about mass transit. I get the feeling he is not opposed to it. As the mayor of Knoxville, I think he at least has an understanding of what a growing city's challenges are (though not quite at Nashville's level).

However, as a politician, he seems to be walking on eggshells and not distance himself too much from the strongest element of the Republican Party, which is definitely to the right of his position. Even if he takes a moderate position on a lot of issues, he will flirt with the dangers of being labeled as a dreaded RINO or even a liberal by some in his party.

^As a Tea Partier, I can say that Haslam is not considered a "Conservative" by those of us on the right, but part of the moneyed Establishment wing. Were it not for the legislature and their veto override power, he'd likely prefer to lean more to the left (so likely more forthcoming with spending on expensive mass transit). This is why I did not vote for him in either the primary (I was supporting Ron Ramsey) or general (I voted for Independent Carl "Two Feathers" Whitaker) in 2010. I expect to vote for Independent Democrat John Jay Hooker in the general this year (I voted for him against Sundquist back in '98 when he was the regular Dem nominee).

^As a Tea Partier, I can say that Haslam is not considered a "Conservative" by those of us on the right, but part of the moneyed Establishment wing. Were it not for the legislature and their veto override power, he'd likely prefer to lean more to the left (so likely more forthcoming with spending on expensive mass transit). This is why I did not vote for him in either the primary (I was supporting Ron Ramsey) or general (I voted for Independent Carl "Two Feathers" Whitaker) in 2010. I expect to vote for Independent Democrat John Jay Hooker in the general this year (I voted for him against Sundquist back in '98 when he was the regular Dem nominee).

Let's make sure what the phrase "lean more to the left" means to you. As I have witnessed that would be about 40 degrees to the right and about 100 degrees from just left of center.

Guys, I really need to keep the threads on track with so much happening. The politics can go in the Coffee House. I am trying not to step on toes, but there is so much going on, we can't get sidetracked. I do appreciate all of the participation on the board and value your comments. Do not take this personal. I am just trying to keep some order in  the chaos that is Urban Planet. :)

Cheers :alc:

• Like 1

I can no longer find the article on the Tennessean website, but Geno Auriema from UCONN loves the city of Nashville and the article stated how much the 50 staff people from UCONN loved Nashville. A few said they wanted to live here! If I can find the article, I'll post it.

Sorry, it was the Nashville Post:

http://nashvillepost.com/blogs/postsports/2014/4/9/auriemma_says_nashvilles_first_womens_final_four_wont_be_the_last

Edited by Urban Architecture
  • Like 1

I can no longer find the article on the Tennessean website, but Geno Auriema from UCONN loves the city of Nashville and the article stated how much the 50 staff people from UCONN loved Nashville. A few said they wanted to live here! If I can find the article, I'll post it.

Sorry, it was the Nashville Post:

http://nashvillepost.com/blogs/postsports/2014/4/9/auriemma_says_nashvilles_first_womens_final_four_wont_be_the_last

The city has been very successfull in excuting large sporting events...Music City Bowl, SEC Basketball, OVC championship, and others. The CVB and mayor's admin are really great at branding these events. Plus, having Bridgestone Arena right on Broadway with all of the clubs, bars, and restaurants, and the proximity to hotels in walking distance plays a big role...and it's only going to get better.

• Like 1

Let's make sure what the phrase "lean more to the left" means to you. As I have witnessed that would be about 40 degrees to the right and about 100 degrees from just left of center.

I specified my leanings as a "Tea Partier." You consider me ultra-right because you're on the ultra-left (albeit to the right of our friend John). :D

If the only discussions are about new buildings going up, what type of materials are being used, etc. then no politics enter the thought process. When you start discussing the merits of things like The Amp, or the Convention Center when that was up for debate you are always going to have politics involved because that is all it is. I am certainly not without sin on this subject and I am not hiding from that, I just think you will have a hard time stopping it on certain subjects.

No, fieldmarshaldj, I did not start any political comments and prefer not to go there, but since you and others had, I added my two cents.  I have no problem if we all agree to keep our political opinions to ourselves and stick to relevant information and facts on development projects.  We all have our opinions and arguing other sides won't change mine and I'm sure not yours or anyone else's.  I'm the new guy here and not sure the inner circle here is too welcoming of us new outsiders to the group.  Hope that is not true.

No, fieldmarshaldj, I did not start any political comments and prefer not to go there, but since you and others had, I added my two cents.  I have no problem if we all agree to keep our political opinions to ourselves and stick to relevant information and facts on development projects.  We all have our opinions and arguing other sides won't change mine and I'm sure not yours or anyone else's.  I'm the new guy here and not sure the inner circle here is too welcoming of us new outsiders to the group.  Hope that is not true.

Very welcoming of newbies. No fear. Please come and join us at a meet sometime too. Easier to post when you meet folks too. This is a little different as we do get together over coffe and have some heated discussions but we all like each other. I like you too Jamie. Lol

You would also think Nashvillebound and urban architecture would come to blows but it's normally hugs believe it or not.