Guest 5th & Main Urbanite

The judiciary, however, is keeping Nashville as its top priority — because it argues that too much taxpayer money has been spent to turn back now. That tab is $25.1 million and counting, money spent to buy the land and design the building.

I wouldn't mind spending some of that $182 on a redesign. 

• Like 2

What a lot of people do not realize is the building planned is not big enough to house all the offices plus new courtrooms. The Customs House is leased to the U.S. Bankruptcy court. 

I dont know know if that is speculation on the writers part or not, but this was talked about years ago before Adam was here. I had heard numerous times the old building was still going to be used by the Feds.

So....what you're saying is they need to scrap the courthouse design and build a 20 story Greek Revival structure that will suit Nashville's needs.

Typically happens, "don't it"?  ...especially given the fact that there had been apocalyptic speculation on inadequacy of the planned fulfillment well before the current point in time of this protracted and ongoing delay.  But at least it's not quite as tricky as trying to forecast Nashville's regional and urban transit needs as a moving target (at least it doesn't quite appear on that scale).

-==-

Edited by rookzie
  • Like 1

So....what you're saying is they need to scrap the courthouse design and build a 20 story Greek Revival structure that will suit Nashville's needs.

I'll settle for a nice Second Empire high-rise. They sure as hell demolished enough of that style of courthouses across the country (and virtually every building in our downtown of that style, both home and business).

I'll settle for a nice Second Empire high-rise. They sure as hell demolished enough of that style of courthouses across the country (and virtually every building in our downtown of that style, both home and business).

Second Empire is nice, but I'm thinking of something to fit in with the historical theme of Nashville.

Second Empire is nice, but I'm thinking of something to fit in with the historical theme of Nashville.

Second Empire isn't a historic theme that would fit in Nashville ? Remember seeing the photos of the buildings along the east side of the old public square that looked like they came straight from Paris ? I'd definitely say it would be an excellent fit and a way to bring back part of what's been shamefully lost.

Edited by fieldmarshaldj

Second Empire isn't a historic theme that would fit in Nashville ? Remember seeing the photos of the buildings along the east side of the old public square that looked like they came straight from Paris ? I'd definitely say it would be an excellent fit and a way to bring back part of what's been shamefully lost.

Nashv'l's lost so much of what might have been dubbed as Second Empire thematic, that that aspect has become "lost in translation."  A number of the old residential structures east and west of the state house (capitol) could have fit that descriptively Baroque style, and I even recall having witnessed some of them with slated Mansard roofs (5th Ave. near site of Cordell Hull, the site of which previously had stood similar buildings; on the old grid between 7th and 8th, and Cedar and Jo Johnston (before the Jas. Rob. urban removal).  The fact is that many more pockets of such structures had existed right after my birth, although admittedly I happen to be one of the few active ones remaining here to be on the cusp of then and now (although I might act as if I have yet to grow up)

I'm just saying that that epic of architectural style, which during my early lifetime had remained significantly extant, virtually and almost abruptly (during a span of 30 years of less) had become all but extinct.  Perhaps then for that reason, a new breed of Second Empire Revival would be more of an anachronism than an eclectic blend for the CBD, while we leave other ancient and varied styles of structures intact (Customs House, Union Station,...)  Of course, the state house (Capitol) would have to be tornado'd or quaked down, since it is so venerated as "capitAl."

-==-

Edited by rookzie

I feel like there are several "Second Empire-esque" homes and structures around East Nashville...particularly the Edgefield area. At least we haven't lost them all.

Can anyone provide examples of a recently built structure that mimics this style? There are plenty of examples of original structures to be found around online, but I'm curious to see what a modern take on that aesthetic would look like.

if that was directed at me, not at all . I was just stating what I had understood to be the case. I want the old courthouse to remain as it is a nice building and the last thing we need to do is continue to tear down buildings because they are old. I have seen enough of that to turn my stomach. 

• Like 2

if that was directed at me, not at all . I was just stating what I had understood to be the case. I want the old courthouse to remain as it is a nice building and the last thing we need to do is continue to tear down buildings because they are old. I have seen enough of that to turn my stomach. 

No, I meant scrap the new design, not tear down the old building (but renovate it). The new courthouse should be 20 stories.:)

• Like 1

So...instead of building a new space large enough to fit their needs, they'll build a portion of what they need and keep the old building.  Then...in 30 years, they'll outgrow those two places and build a 3rd, yet still keep the other 2.  In 100 years, we'll have 5-6 federal buildings instead of just 1 large enough to do the job.

Sounds about right for the federal government.

• Like 1