MSU Biomedical Research Campus - Phase II

GRDadof3

Some insight; now could someone please explain it all to me in a way I can see it in my head???

http://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapids/index.ssf/2015/06/roundabout_reconfigured_i-196.html#incart_river

If you click a few times on the map provided with the article you can "blow it up" to see the direction arrows etc.  

The notation in the article that much of the project funding would come from the city's vital streets tax revenue is surprising.  They have extra money for this, and the ability to fix every crumbling street in the city?  If Knapp between Plainfield and Fuller is any indication on how the city plans to fix the roads than they have some serious issues.  Has anyone seen what they did there?  It's a joke. I must be misunderstanding something about what they did on Knapp?  Frankly, the fix on Monroe at Riverside Park is pretty bad too.  

Some insight; now could someone please explain it all to me in a way I can see it in my head???

http://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapids/index.ssf/2015/06/roundabout_reconfigured_i-196.html#incart_river

MSU wants exit and entrance from the west I-196. So Ottawa exit splits, feeding one lane south to Michigan, and a second lane Ottawa north.

Ionia entrance lane will include an entrance from Division on to 196.

To make it easier for MSU staff the Newberry Roundabout lets them flow better to take advantage of the exit changes.

All this said, it is not clear how the Division entrance ramp works without a light on Division -- will north bound traffic on Division from out of the MSU parking be able to cross to the entrance ramp?

On the bright side, there is the bike path into downtown, so that probably counts for something.

Those graphics that MLive gets from the city are terrible. The road construction graphic for the Founders area was unreadable. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Based on the building's design, I would guess a tower crane would be used.

Yeah, the footprint is pretty wide and long so you'd need quite a few boom cranes around the perimeter to service the entire site. Tower crane reduces a lot of that. In my non-degreed opinion.

Boom cranes don't usually show up on site to erect tower cranes until after a crane base is installed.  There isn't even anything else on site that needs to be lifted with this crane.  So something must be getting delivered real soon.  

These constructions cameras are awesome - especially for those of us who don't live in the area.  And two (kind of) projects can be seen with this one!  With all of the construction going on in Downtown Austin we don't even have a singe construction camera.  :(

Boom cranes don't usually show up on site to erect tower cranes until after a crane base is installed.  There isn't even anything else on site that needs to be lifted with this crane.  So something must be getting delivered real soon.  

These constructions cameras are awesome - especially for those of us who don't live in the area.  And two (kind of) projects can be seen with this one!  With all of the construction going on in Downtown Austin we don't even have a singe construction camera.  :(

They are probably a little less excited about new construction in Austin than we get up here.  It's a little more routine maybe?

They are probably a little less excited about new construction in Austin than we get up here.  It's a little more routine maybe?

LOL, I think the construction cams are set up moreso for the client's use, to see updates. Although having them publicly accessible means they're at least hoping the public can check them out. 

There is that concrete "box" in the center of the site that may have a tower crane base in it...

The boom crane has moved to the interior of the building footprint this nice foggy morning, and a lot of steel has been delivered. My hopes of a tower crane are waning..

http://oxblue.com/open/msu/grrc

Edited by GRDadof3

This seems to be moving quickly!  Is it typical for a building like this not to have a basement?  I'm guessing that's why this project is moving along at a faster pace.

That does seem unusual. Usually there's at least one floor of underground parking under most commercial/institutional buildings like this, especially to handle service vehicles, etc.. and parking for the top brass. 

Edited by GRDadof3