Bridgestone HQ 30 stories - 460' | Retail.U/C

MLBrumby

I predict this goes nowhere. Nashville has invested way too much in the convention center to let one developer overbuild (sobro, encore, and now sheet music) right next door. This kind of project casts a very long shadow over the neighborhood, and while the surface parking space in sobro needs to be utilized better, a project like this could end up being a much greater liability for the city.

On a side note, it sucks for the people at the Encore. Rather than having a series of buidings that step down in height from the river (as the originial sobro plan calls for), Tony is building the tallest (presumeably, most lucrative) buildings he can, and literally blotting out the sun for people who bought condos with great views.

I predict this goes nowhere. Nashville has invested way too much in the convention center to let one developer overbuild (sobro, encore, and now sheet music) right next door. This kind of project casts a very long shadow over the neighborhood, and while the surface parking space in sobro needs to be utilized better, a project like this could end up being a much greater liability for the city.

On a side note, it sucks for the people at the Encore. Rather than having a series of buidings that step down in height from the river (as the originial sobro plan calls for), Tony is building the tallest (presumeably, most lucrative) buildings he can, and literally blotting out the sun for people who bought condos with great views.

Huh?  It'll be a liability for the city because it's a solid object and casts a shadow?  Alex Palmer, is that you?  :dontknow:

• Like 1

gnon33, First, welcome to the forum.

While it will suck for people in Encore who have a view now, This is certainly one of the known caveats to living in a downtown setting. As far as investments in the MCC causing one developer to overbuild - I'm not sure I understand what you mean. What does it matter if a single developer is doing all the work? Nobody else is doing it...

gnon33, First, welcome to the forum.

While it will suck for people in Encore who have a view now, This is certainly one of the known caveats to living in a downtown setting. As far as investments in the MCC causing one developer to overbuild - I'm not sure I understand what you mean. What does it matter if a single developer is doing all the work? Nobody else is doing it...

I agree , nobody but Mr . Giarratana has shown the passion, nore the drive for the city as much as he has. He sees the potential and has the eye for what most of us always wanted to see in our downtown .

• Like 3

So someone suggested that Lockheed Martin could possibly be the company TG is in talks with for this tower. What do you guy's think? I did a little digging and found a few older articles about Lockheed Martin possibly wanting to relocate to Nashville, and one things in the article that got my attention was that they said Lockheed Martin was needing about 200,000 square ft of space with room for expansion. That sounds an awful lot like what TG said this company he is in talks with is needing. I know I know...that isn't saying much, and it could be just a coincidence, but do any of you guy's think this is a possibility?

Here is the article I'm talking about.

Lockheed Martin targets downtown Nashville, sources say

http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/stories/2010/08/23/story2.html?page=all

Would be odd for Lockheed Martin to locate to Nashville; not much aerospace business in Nashville like you have in places like here in Huntsville.

Well we have this.

http://www.triumphgroup.com/companies/triumph-aerostructures-vought-aircraft-division

Triumph Aerostructures - Vought Aircraft Division is a leading global manufacturer of aerostructures for commercial, military and business jet aircraft. Products include fuselages, wings, empennages, nacelles and helicopter cabins. Its customer base consists of the world’s leading aerospace OEMs, and more than 80 percent of its programs are sole-source, long-term contracts. The company has about 6,000 employees in seven U.S. locations and does business as two operating divisions:

It's not always about relocating to a city with same industry specialization. If that were the case then Lockheed Martin would already be in Huntsville, and every hospital corporation and music label would in Nashville. There are plenty of other things that come into play as well. Things like coporate taxes, quality of life, geographic location, amenities, building amenities, airport facilities, cost of living, state and local incentives, public transportation, expansion options, etc etc... Even things like is the overall image of the building what is expected of the company, to dining and hotels come into play. The list goes on from there, and I think you get the picture.

Here is a good example for you.

In 2000, Boeing looked to relocate its world headquarters in Seattle. Announcing a series of changes to its corporate structure, the company wanted a leaner headquarters staff located separately from its existing businesses. Narrowing down possible geographic locations to Denver, Dallas-Fort Worth and Chicago, the company led an extensive site evaluation process. Visits to each of the three metropolitan areas were just the beginning. Each city provided proposals outlining the benefits and reasons for Boeing to locate there, extensively noting everything from possible locations, down to public schools, commute time, cost of living and incentives.

In a much hyped and anticipated decision, Boeing selected Chicago for its new world headquarters location in May, 2001. The company noted that no single factor made the difference, but a combination of all the data that aided the decision. The State of Illinois agreed to provide Boeing with up to $41 million in tax breaks and various state grants over 20 years, while the city of Chicago offered an additional $19 million in property-tax relief over a similar period and a $2 million grant. The city also promised to establish a downtown area heliport that can be used to transport executives to and from the central city, along with agreeing to contribute $1 million to retire the lease of the existing tenant in the space that Boeing would occupy. Overall, Boeing could be eligible for up to $60 million in incentives over 20 years. Of the many reasons, Boeing chose Chicago because of its overall geographic location, efficiency as a transportation hub and highly educated workforce.

As you can see, the fact that Huntsville might have an edge in "aerospace business" compared to other cities, doesn't really mean much. It's really about everything else that corporations look for when they search for new locations to relocate to. Evidently Nashville was considered by Lockheed Martin because THIS IS NASHVEGAS BABY!!!!!!!.... :yahoo:  LOL!  I kid! I kid!

Also remember that many companies these days have the corporate hq and main facilities in very different places. Sure, Boeing may have moved the hq to Chicago, but don't think for a second that they are shutting down in Seattle. The have one of the worlds largest service facilities there.

Nissan for example. Had their main North American production facilities in TN. But the hq was in southern cal. In their case, they decided to move the hq close to production.

I guess my point is that the "suits" and the "coveralls" don't always need to be in the same place. I don't see how Nashville's lack of significant aviation facilities would make a big difference to Lockheed Martin.

Would be odd for Lockheed Martin to locate to Nashville; not much aerospace business in Nashville like you have in places like here in Huntsville.

Nashville is still rather close to Huntsville. That on top of what I'm sure are some pretty lucrative tax breaks could be a very real possibility. Nashville is very hot market for any company right now. Also, keep in mind that this wouldn't be a HQ relocation, but an expansion for a contract. And of course, that article was three years ago, so much could have changed, but you never know. Then again, 3000 of their employees were just furloughed....

Edited by satalac

The way I read the article from 2010 this wasn't really a HQ relocation. It was a large section relocation/opening that was dependent on a large contract going through. I would be very surprised if the international headquarters relocated from the DC area to Nashville. Their business is primarily government contract work, so being in DC helps considerably because of all the ex-military and ex-government talent.

Not exactly. The Arnold Air Force Base is near Tullahoma as well as one of the top aerospace programs in the country at MTSU in Murfreesboro. There is also the large Smyrna airport/Tennessee Army National Guard, and Nashville International Airport, the list goes on. So Nashville is certainly no stranger to this type of business.

http://www.arnold.af.mil/

http://www.mtsu.edu/aerospace/

http://www.smyrnaairport.com/about_us

http://www.flynashville.com/about/Pages/default.aspx

Do mistake me I hope Nashville can reel them in; I'm not complaining "why would we not get that over y'all" Lockheed's presence is already here, but I'm just saying when I think of Aerospace Nashville doesn't usually come to mind.  Not exactly an industry Nashville's tapped, where as Huntsville it's there only industry.  I did consider the things said though; would be close to Huntsville (Redstone and Marshall), Tullahoma (Arnold), about an hour flight to Dayton (Wright Pat), maybe an hour to hour and a half flight to Langley and I don't know but maybe Fort Campbell may do Aero stuff as well. 

Off topic, but I don't really get why MTSU calls their program aerospace. Do they do anything with space? IMO, it seems like aviation or aeronautical is more fitting. I think they should go ahead and get ABET accredited and start an official engineering school as well!

UTSI is worth a mention. However, it is sadly going the way of the dodo bird. :(

Off topic, but I don't really get why MTSU calls their program aerospace. Do they do anything with space? IMO, it seems like aviation or aeronautical is more fitting. I think they should go ahead and get ABET accredited and start an official engineering school as well!

UTSI is worth a mention. However, it is sadly going the way of the dodo bird. :(

A majority of NASA's engineers are mechanical and electrical with a few aerospace engineers.  Most of the aero guys branch out to two area's; data crunching in aerodynamics or fluid dynamics, so where there would be some differences in fluid dynamics (jet fuel vs. cryo's.)  the study in aerodynamics in aerospace and aviation would mostly overlay.  I would say if your background is in one you could do the other, besides Lockheed and Boeing do both Aerospace and Aeronautical.

Is UTSI an aerospace/aeronautical school somewhere around Tullahoma?

Do mistake me I hope Nashville can reel them in; I'm not complaining "why would we not get that over y'all" Lockheed's presence is already here, but I'm just saying when I think of Aerospace Nashville doesn't usually come to mind.  Not exactly an industry Nashville's tapped, where as Huntsville it's there only industry.  I did consider the things said though; would be close to Huntsville (Redstone and Marshall), Tullahoma (Arnold), about an hour flight to Dayton (Wright Pat), maybe an hour to hour and a half flight to Langley and I don't know but maybe Fort Campbell may do Aero stuff as well. 

Lockheed has a very large presence in Oak Ridge TN. I have relatives who are engineers there.

A majority of NASA's engineers are mechanical and electrical with a few aerospace engineers.  Most of the aero guys branch out to two area's; data crunching in aerodynamics or fluid dynamics, so where there would be some differences in fluid dynamics (jet fuel vs. cryo's.)  the study in aerodynamics in aerospace and aviation would mostly overlay.  I would say if your background is in one you could do the other, besides Lockheed and Boeing do both Aerospace and Aeronautical.

Is UTSI an aerospace/aeronautical school somewhere around Tullahoma?

UTSI is the University of Tennessee Space Institute. It is technically in Tullahoma, but it resides on Woods Reservoir on AEDC land just outside of Tullahoma. While it is on AF land, it isn't within the gates of the AEDC base where testing facilities and contractors are located. UTSI is a very historic and priceless institution to aerospace and the Tullahoma-Manchester-Decherd-Estill Springs-Winchester area. Even to Mid TN itself. Many do not know about it, yet it is a cliche diamond in the rough. Unfortunately, UTSI has been on the decline and is an absolute heart breaking waste of potential for the state of TN.

Regarding aerospace and MTSU/aviation, I was referring to MTSU's "aerospace" program. Call me anal retentive, but I have a "problem" with them calling it aerospace because from what I can tell they do nothing with space itself. I could be wrong and was wondering if anyone was more close or knew someone close to their program to know about their questionable "space" program. Thus, IMHumbleO, I would think aviation or aeronautical would be more fitting since aerospace is "technically" a blend of air and space. In addition, they are not an ABET accredited institution for engineering.  I wish they would start up an engineering school though.  They could take advantage of the lack of aerospace engineering programs in the state.  UTSI is the only one, but the place is in severe decline due too poor leadership and vision.

I would have to disagree with being able to do aviation or aerospace (one or the other) if one has the opposite background. IMO, aviation or aeronautical is more plane oriented and more specifically, what I am referring to is pilot oriented. MTSU, no doubt, has one of the best programs for this. UTSI has/had one of the best avaition system programs as well, but it too, with the school, has fallen into severe decline. In fact, all the astronauts UTK lays claim to studied at UTSI. Most of them got their MS in Aviation Systems. So, I am definitely not knocking pilots, but it can be hard and difficult to do different things even within the same field, forget "similar" fields. However, most of the astronauts did have engineering backgrounds, usually a BS in mechanical. In fact, the brilliant leadership at UTSI decided to fold AS as a specialty of AE. The AS people complained that they didn't want that because the AS degree is less intense with math and such.

• 11 months later...

Tony has no experience in office development, so this was an important move on his part. I was talking to William W last week and told him that Tony could team with a local office development company and it looks as if he picked a winner. This may speed the project up by a lot now that he can get some good international marketing exposure.

Now, if he can get 505 CST out of the ground and Sheet Music, he will have to start on his next big project whatever that is, but I will be the has ideas and dreams.

Highwoods Properties has VERY deep pockets. Without even a flinch or hiccup they bought the Pinnacle tower last year for $152M, then almost immediately after announced the $700M Ovation in Cool Springs which is now underway. These guys don't mess around. This is huge step forward for Tony G. and Sheet Music and I agree with Ron that he couldn't have picked a better partner to team up with. This is awesome news and this project is looking MUCH more realistic. 

Edited by mirydi
  • Like 1