Camperdown (Greenville News Building Site)

gman

Something doesn't add up to me. They turned down the previous proposal for the hotel because it didn't fit what they were looking for, but they approve the redesign that is the exact same building with a few more frills on the siding? If this were a whole different design it would make sense, but it is basically the same size, shape, design, type of architecture, etc, with just a few tweaks to the exterior. :wacko: 

The building ties in well with the rest of the buildings that will be in the site and also the new entry covered patio. The video made by the City's GIS department showed it quite well. 

Something doesn't add up to me. They turned down the previous proposal for the hotel because it didn't fit what they were looking for, but they approve the redesign that is the exact same building with a few more frills on the siding? If this were a whole different design it would make sense, but it is basically the same size, shape, design, type of architecture, etc, with just a few tweaks to the exterior. :wacko: 

http://upstatebusinessjournal.com/news/inside-the-drb-a-glimpse-into-the-monthly-greenville-design-review-board-meeting/

In the informal review portion of the meeting, the property next to Rick Erwin’s and the Army-Navy store may finally be getting a much-needed restoration. Preliminary plans showed a restaurant at street level and office space up top. The planter in front of the building on the sidewalk that always trips people up will be removed and the windows will be brought to the sidewalk. Expect to see this for formal review in the September DRB meeting.

Good news. That storefront has been vacant for as long as I can remember 

Even though I was hoping for more height, I am glad the DRB approved the project. The design IMO is nice and any further delays could have killed the project. Camperdown is going to be MUCH better than what is currently on site no matter how you slice it. 

Even though I was hoping for more height, I am glad the DRB approved the project. The design IMO is nice and any further delays could have killed the project. Camperdown is going to be MUCH better than what is currently on site no matter how you slice it. 

Agreed. This is going to end up being a great addition to downtown.

Sadly, it is just internal at this point. 

Bummer.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Will the News move to temporary space to allow demo on their offices? or maybe the garage doesn't take up a much space as I'm envisioning..? It will be nice to finally see this move forward. 

Its a a shame that they've abandoned the movie theater. Now they need a strong retail tenant to consume space and draw people into the plaza.

"He said previously announced plans for a dine-in movie theater were abandoned because of the traffic and parking issues that go with such a theater."

Really???  So they dont want a tenant because they are worried it will bring in too many customers?  That is the first time that I have heard that one.  Maybe because it is dine in and they think no one will bother to go to surrounding establishments.  I dont see how a movie theater is any different than the Peace Center accross the street regarding traffic and parking needs.  So according to this logic, we are done, no more venues that attract large numbers of people and/or cars downtown.  Doesn't add up.

I gotta laugh whenever people in Greenville complain about traffic. Seriously? Have they been to any other city? Greenville has little to no traffic in comparison. I wonder if these are the same people who continue to drive through the gridlock on Main Street, instead of going a block or two over.

Greenville does not have a traffic problem. Greenville has a problem with people who don't want to make the slightest bit of effort to investigate alternate routes.

• Like 2

Tell me this. Why do everything have to be auto accessible. It's like everyone is scared of walking. I know some will say, that's the reason for the deck their building. Better yet,  that's the reason for all the other decks that have been built. But a many people go right by them looking for good ole fashion open parking. For the ones who are asking, that's street or lot parking. People are creatures of habit and won't change until they have to. But back on subject. They had/have to be looking at this through the eyes of a suburban developer. Not an urban one. There are many, and I do mean many, examples of successful theaters. And some of them are in more congested areas than what they have there. In my opinion. There's had to be more going on to that  than traffic. 

• Like 1

I live downtown and to get from where I live to the other side of town I have to go through downtown and I really don't want to deal with gridlock. It may not be an issue just yet but if we build enough in the wrong places it will become a problem. I really would not enjoy the type of traffic right after the fireworks show on the Fourth of July every Friday night.

I live downtown and to get from where I live to the other side of town I have to go through downtown and I really don't want to deal with gridlock. It may not be an issue just yet but if we build enough in the wrong places it will become a problem. I really would not enjoy the type of traffic right after the fireworks show on the Fourth of July every Friday night.

I am guessing the the stores and venues downtown would probably love to have this problem.  Urban cores are not meant to be driven like suburban strip malls are, they are walked or public transportation/light rail/trolly/etc would be used.   If you aren't elderly or handicapped, it really isn't hard to walk from one side to the other.  If you live downtown, I am surprised you are trying to drive, well, anywhere downtown unless you are picking up a big screen tv.  Just walk.  Everyone, myself included, can get so attached to their cars it seems.   Cities are more for pedestrians than cars (and yeah, you still need somewhere to park, but at some point, expecting street level parking or driving from one shop to another a quarter mile across town, just doesn't make sense).

Edited by gvegascple
  • Like 2

The Camperdown project just continues to go down hill. At one time it was sounding exciting but not so much anymore. The project has become ho-hum not to mention it sounds like it will take years and years to complete if it ever is.

While losing the theater is disappointing, there is no reason to believe this will take years to build. The plaza, garage and hotel are clearly required to be built at the same time, and probably the entire project other than the News building. There will need to be something to draw people into the plaza, but a theater would have only had draw in the evenings, so maybe something more 24 hour can take it's place.