Manchester Development

Richmonopoly

I figured this would be a good place for the new announcement for development in Manchester, and a good place to highlight other projects in this area of the city.

Reynolds South property sold for development

Thalhimer Realty Partners Inc. has purchased a 17.2-acre site at Seventh and Hull streets, formerly home to the Reynolds South plant, for $9.25 million.

Advertisement

Posted: Friday, December 6, 2013 12:00 am {sodEmoji.|} Updated: 8:56 am, Fri Dec 6, 2013.

BY CAROL HAZARD Richmond Times-Dispatch

More apartments, retail and offices are coming to the Manchester area of South Richmond.

Plans call for three apartment buildings, two 13-story residential and/or office buildings and retail shops. Work will begin on the apartments, the first phase of the project, in January.

Thalhimer Realty Partners Inc. purchased a 17.2-acre site at Seventh and Hull streets for $9.25 million. The transaction closed Wednesday.

The site — encompassing about 7.5 city blocks — is the former location of Reynolds Packaging Group’s foil manufacturing plant, commonly called the Reynolds South plant.

The plan is to convert three historic warehouse and distribution buildings into 263 apartments, Drew Wiltshire, vice president of Thalhimer Realty Partners, said Thursday. Thalhimer Realty is the development subsidiary of

Cushman & Wakefield {sodEmoji.|} Thalhimer, a commercial real estate firm in Henrico County.

Some apartments will be ready by the end of 2014, but all will be finished by spring 2015, Wiltshire said.

The second phase will involve the development of retail space on 5.4 acres along Hull Street. “No one is beating on our door to build anything yet,” he said. “We will market it for sale or for lease.”

The final phase is to build two high-rise, high-density buildings 13 stories tall, one possibly for residential living and the other for offices, Wiltshire said.

“We see it as two buildings, 250,000 square feet each,” Wiltshire said, adding that the plan is preliminary and flexible. The two high-rises would be near Legend’s Brewery between Sixth Street and the river bordered by Porter and McDonough streets.

“The initial and only certain phase is the conversion of the three existing buildings into apartments,” Wiltshire said.

The property, which has been on the market about three years, is considered one of the most significant riverfront properties in downtown Richmond.

“This is a great development opportunity on the river. It will change the landscape downtown,” said Trib Sutton, a senior vice president with CBRE{sodEmoji.|}Richmond.

The transformation on the north side of the river will continue now on the south side, Sutton said.

Sutton, along with Rob Dirom, Scott Boyers, Scott Durham and John Carpin of CBRE{sodEmoji.|}Richmond, represented the seller in the transaction, Pactiv LLC, a Chicago-based packager and successor to Reynolds Metals, which had been based in Henrico.

The team was responsible for the sale of the North Plant property in February 2012 for $7.3 million. That site, housing a similar manufacturing plant on 6.8 acres, fronts the Kanawha Canal and the James River.

Developers Fountainhead Properties and WVS, buyers of the North Plant, recently finished the first phase of the

Reynolds North property with the completion of about 174 apartments and retail space.

[email protected]

(804) 775-8023

Let's see....

We have the Belle Summit Apartments (50 units):

rendering_manchester.jpg

http://www.richmondbizsense.com/2012/09/14/a-low-income-room-with-a-view/

Then there's that Port RVA building (102 units):

500-Hull-Street-5th-Street-Elevation.jpg

http://www.richmondbizsense.com/2013/04/11/manchester-apartment-project-goes-small/

Then we have the Iron House lookalike Hatcher Tobacco Flats (152 units):

Hatcher-Tobacco-Flats.jpg

And then there's the aptly titled 1200 Semmes Ave (129 units) and 908 Perry Street (# of units unknown):

333999-624x159.jpg

Publication4-624x441.jpg

And then there's the most recent BizSense piece that basically pieces it all together:

http://www.richmondbizsense.com/2013/10/29/neighborhood-turns-into-construction-zone/

I gotta say, I think these developers have a love for four and five story buildings.

(Credit to BizSense for all pictures except for last two preliminary pics from Monroe Properties' website)

Edited by RVA-Is-The-Best

Another one of those random visionary projects I always find while browsing the web. This isn't real (I think).

http://www.pricestudios.net/?page_id=331

Looks really nice!  It may be conceptional, but I think what is being proposed there can turn into something like this since the developer is very flexible...they will build to suit.  I'd like to see taller buildings than this, but not bad.

Style Weekly asks: "Is this Richmond's next great neighborhood?"

From this week's issue:

http://www.styleweekly.com/richmond/riverside-venture/Content?oid=2002052

edit: Never mind, don't read this article, it will only break your heart.

"Lots of surface parking"

I'm going to be sick

Edited by RVA-Is-The-Best

• 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Does anyone know if there is (or will be) a construction webcam set up for the 800 Semmes development in Manchester?  If not, keep you eyes out for one and if you find one, please post a link here.  From what I understand, this project has broken ground and work is ongoing.  I would like to watch this residential highrise go up!  Thanks!

Does anyone know if there is (or will be) a construction webcam set up for the 800 Semmes development in Manchester?  If not, keep you eyes out for one and if you find one, please post a link here.  From what I understand, this project has broken ground and work is ongoing.  I would like to watch this residential highrise go up!  Thanks!

I'm not sure about a webcam, but I walked over to the construction site yesterday. Crews were drilling steel pilings.

Maybe it is visible from the Clayco camera across the river?

I checked...It's just barely out of view.  So close! 

Thanks for the update ZUMAN!  Hopefully, they'll get a webcam up soon.  If not, at least some periodic photo updates!  :)

Any update on Port RVA? That's the Manchester development that I've been most interested in. It could look really good or really bad depending on the quality of materials used.

The development that 540_804 is referring to is this one:

http://www.richmondbizsense.com/2013/04/11/manchester-apartment-project-goes-small/

I really wish there was a webcam that overlooked the downtown and manchester areas so that we can all keep tabs on all the projects going up.  It's hard to keep up with them all...which is a good thing!  ;)

• 3 weeks later...

Residents are starting to move into the new 1200 Semmes Ave apartment building although construction is not completed. This is an attractive building with rooftop amenities such as a dog walk. Maybe I'm being too optimistic but it looks like there could be some retail spaces facing Semmes Ave (coffee and/or sandwich shop, please!).

http://www.1200semmes.com/

I don't see this mentioned anywhere, but a new 10-story condo tower is currently under construction in Manchester. Rendering in the article.

800 Semmes

http://www.richmondbizsense.com/2014/04/17/manchester-building-boom-heads-higher/

Plans call for more than 140 units built atop a two-story parking deck. The building will also have a club room, fitness center, rooftop deck and a tenth-floor lounge.

The units could be marketed as apartments initially, Miller said, if the condo market isn’t where he hopes it will be in the next half-year. The building’s owners will make a final determination on how to market the building about six months from now.

The units themselves will be about a 50-50 mix of one- and two-bedrooms. They’ll run from about 550 square feet up to 1,100 square feet with 100- to 400-square-foot outdoor terraces. A quartet of top floor penthouses will reach up to 1,400 square feet with terraces at about 500 square feet.

Miller described the terraces as almost full outdoor rooms, stressing they won’t be patios, decks nor balconies. He said the outdoor space would appeal especially to downsizing empty nesters.

“These are actually rooms where you can sit out, enjoy the view, enjoy the skyline,” Miller said. “You can have a table, sit four, have plants, have people over for dinner.”

This was mentioned somewhere before, but it's good to mention it again.  I'm looking for updated photos or a construction cam of the project - I'd love to watch this project go up!  From what I understand, they are still only drilling foundation holes/piles right now, so there might not be too much to see yet.  There should be a trend toward new, taller residential projects downtown in the near future since most, if not all, the rehab opportunities have been taken.  To me, this is a very exciting project!

This was mentioned somewhere before, but it's good to mention it again.  I'm looking for updated photos or a construction cam of the project - I'd love to watch this project go up!  From what I understand, they are still only drilling foundation holes/piles right now, so there might not be too much to see yet.  There should be a trend toward new, taller residential projects downtown in the near future since most, if not all, the rehab opportunities have been taken.  To me, this is a very exciting project!

Just took a walk over to the site. Looks like base of crane tower going into place.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

800 Semmes Ave:

Construction crane being assembled right now.

Sweet!  Thanks for the update!  A photo of it fully assembled would be awsome...which is what we are trying to get arranged (see the latest off-topic discussion going on).  Zuman, would you be willing to help?