Baton Rouge Transportation

ehyfield

There's more enough right of way on most of Nicholson.....just have to reconfigure the lanes to widen the median to at least 36' at platforms and 28' everywhere else- and loop it around the Old Capitol and River center downtown. The newer cars are barely wider than a standard city bus. You'd lose left turn lanes.

No point in having rail if it falls victim to traffic just like busses.

Edited by cajun
  • Like 1

Couldn't agree with this any stronger.

I should probably add....no point in having rail if it falls victim to automotive traffic and poorly timed street lights.

This is one of many areas where the New Orleans street cars are pretty bad. I hope they use Houston as a model and not New Orleans, or Memphis.

A lot of times there are too many stop lights too close together that are never timed right, but some red lights can be a good thing. If the line runs on the inside next to or in the median red lights can make it safer for pedestrians crossing the road to board the train by causing car traffic to have to stop. Red lights also end up being the train stops a lot of the time. It's a different story if it runs on the outside without its own ROW.

Edited by ehyfield

The lights have to be deactivated by remote on the train, ensuring the train doesn't have to stop for any reason unless there is an actual platform.

My concern with placement is that intersections will draw more cars out over the tracks if they are placed on the outside lanes. If they are there when the light turns red and the train approaches, they'll get hit or the train will have to stop. This could be mitigated somewhat if the median can be widened to accommodate the lines. It would also move the train out of the lowest grade on the right of way, which I imagine would help significantly with long term corrosion and maintenance of both the running gear and equipment. I remember reading that Memphis screwed this detail up on Madison Ave...but they use heavy/slow antiquated, but aesthetically pleasing equipment like New Orleans does. They value form over function. IMO Baton Rouge should use more modern equipment with readily available replacement parts and standard low costs service contracts instead of refurbished historic cars. I also think Memphis puts a lot more salt and brine on their roads for winter months than the gulf coast does- that may also be a contributing factor to their street car hassles.

Dual lines would also be wide enough for cars to cross and make either left turns or U-turns where allowed- so the median will be dual purpose even if the far left lane is completely separated from the rail lines.

On the other hand, a separated rail line next to the sidewalk could help move traffic farther away from the pedestrians and encourage more walking. This would unfortunately require the most right of way since the need for a median and U-turns would still exist....and I doubt the state will let anyone remove capacity from Nicholson.

Fanin street through the Houston medical district was the setup I was envisioning. I think we can do that on Nicholson. There's also wider sections south of there that have both tracks to one side of the right of way and 5 lanes of automotive traffic on the other, which might be nice south of LSU.

I also think the Siemens Avanto cars would be ideal. They can operate as a street car of sorts downtown and along Nicholson, but can easily and smoothly accelerate to about 65 mph if they have a separate grade with long distances between stops (such as across a viaduct or within the median of a freeway). This might be useful for future tie-ins with a larger metro system or a connection over to Bluebonnet or Perkins in southern Baton Rouge (or up to the airport).

The MAX rail in Portland has larger trains that I don't recommend for this. Their Bombardier cars are too large for street car use, and whatever little rigs they use for street cars had a major speed trade off. Same with MARTA in Atlanta. Baton Rouge needs something that can be both a street car and a future metro connection.

The Siemens cars in Houston are the best of both worlds. Something like that or comparable would be ideal. Notice they are low enough to accommodate disabled riders with just a 4-6" curb based platform.....but can also speed up for sections of line with fewer stops and more cars can be added to trains for big events.

Edited by cajun
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

I think the huge fault of Cats is it's main terminals location. Why would you put in a place that no one goes to? FAIL. I would say they need one terminal downtown, one in the Mall of LA area, and one by Town Center. Seems like it could get the most use in those areas. Sadly our city lacks smart urban planners and good politicians.

I think the huge fault of Cats is it's main terminals location. Why would you put in a place that no one goes to? FAIL. I would say they need one terminal downtown, one in the Mall of LA area, and one by Town Center. Seems like it could get the most use in those areas. Sadly our city lacks smart urban planners and good politicians.

They now have hubs at Mall of LA, EKL, Towne Center, and Cortana.

http://www.brcats.com/splash

Towne Center? You think Towne Center shoppers would be caught dead riding a bus???

LOL

• Like 1

Well I must give it to cats, it looks like their giving effort! @itsjustme3 I live close to that area and I sure as heck would use the bus. The problem was it's location, with a Town Center hub I can actually use the system. And sure maybe not all of Town Centers customers will use the bus I'm expecting them to have a few more people.

• 4 weeks later...

Allowing Interstates to be tolled would most likely lead to 10-12 being tolled through the city while the loop would remain free of tolls. Tolls are best when used as a means to control (discourage or promote) use on certain roads, not as a means to pay for them. Austin is considering a similar proposal right now, their new toll roads haven't met projected vehicle counts and may default on their bonds. However I-35 through downtown remains congested, tolling I-35 and making the current toll roads free, to alleviate congestion, is the current proposal floating around Austin to solve their traffic woes.

• Like 1

They would most likely only toll 10-12 through the city, if they loop were built as a free alternative. It would be the most effective means at reducing traffic congestion within the city and increasing use of the toll roads (which always add miles and time to ones trip). I am not saying it would ever happen in BR, but it is an idea being thrown around other cities that built billion dollar toll roads only for them NOT to alleviate traffic.