25 Ottawa Makeover - Arena District

joeDowntown

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The only reason I'd think "not soon" on the Fulton/Ionia lot is because of how much money they put into redoing the brick and adding windows to the south side of the Trust Building. But maybe the brickwork was necessary and the windows weren't too much extra to spring for?

Joe

Iv always liked this building. Really curious if CWD is going to go forward with the 8 story glass tower across the street! Prly not but who knows. I'm really excited to see this building get some new life in its blood!

• 3 weeks later...

Those were probably minor costs.  They have been doing a lot on the inside of the Trust Building as well as some of their other properties.  How wisely that money is being spent is a matter for some serious debate, but it's their money, and they have mountains of it...  I would think before building anything new, they would want to fill some of the enormous amounts of vacant space they already have, and with the unfortunate reputation they have been building among many--some of it deserved, some not--it may be an uphill battle.

Franklin Partners, on the other hand, seems to know how to knock the ball out of the park.  I cannot quite imagine how they will make Arena Station take off with the location it's in, but I will keep my fingers crossed.  With the announcement of a major new development right across the street it might get a bit easier, although it makes parking an incredible challenge.

The only reason I'd think "not soon" on the Fulton/Ionia lot is because of how much money they put into redoing the brick and adding windows to the south side of the Trust Building. But maybe the brickwork was necessary and the windows weren't too much extra to spring for?

Joe

Joe

Those were probably minor costs.  They have been doing a lot on the inside of the Trust Building as well as some of their other properties.  How wisely that money is being spent is a matter for some serious debate, but it's their money, and they have mountains of it...  I would think before building anything new, they would want to fill some of the enormous amounts of vacant space they already have, and with the unfortunate reputation they have been building among many--some of it deserved, some not--it may be an uphill battle.

Franklin Partners, on the other hand, seems to know how to knock the ball out of the park.  I cannot quite imagine how they will make Arena Station take off with the location it's in, but I will keep my fingers crossed.  With the announcement of a major new development right across the street it might get a bit easier, although it makes parking an incredible challenge.

I'm confused here.  At first I thought Joe just mistakenly wrote Trust Building when he meant Trade Center.  But then x99 wrote the same thing.

Is it Trade Center:

http://www.cwdrealestate.com/property-profile/50-Louis-Grand-Rapids-MI-49503/157

or Trust Building?

http://www.cwdrealestate.com/property-profile/40-Pearl-Street-NW-Grand-Rapids-MI-49503/164

Like so many old buildings downtown, they are both owned by CWD.  If it's the Trust Building what's that have to do with the Fulton/Ionia lot? 

Not a darn thing, I suppose.  Just that the proposed new CWD tower roughly across Fulton from 25 Ottawa isn't likely to happen.  Personally, I am really interested to see how Franklin deals with this building.  From most accounts, they pulled off a miracle with 99 Monroe, both in terms of bringing in Panera and with the renovation.  If they do another major overhaul, it will be interesting to see an "outsiders" take on an historic Grand Rapids building versus what some of the locals have done.  The article is fairly encouraging.

Like so many old buildings downtown, they are both owned by CWD.  If it's the Trust Building what's that have to do with the Fulton/Ionia lot? 

Not a darn thing, I suppose.  Just that the proposed new CWD tower roughly across Fulton from 25 Ottawa isn't likely to happen.  Personally, I am really interested to see how Franklin deals with this building.  From most accounts, they pulled off a miracle with 99 Monroe, both in terms of bringing in Panera and with the renovation.  If they do another major overhaul, it will be interesting to see an "outsiders" take on an historic Grand Rapids building versus what some of the locals have done.  The article is fairly encouraging.

I think what needs to happen with 25 Ottawa is that the bottom floor needs to be totally blown out, maybe even somewhat combined with the 2nd floor with a two-story atrium. That skywalk creates the impression that the bottom floor is in a basement or something. Maybe even re-do the skywalk and make it all glass on the bottom, something splashy to make it pop. With what Franklin did with 99 Monroe, they have the wherewithall to do a bang up job I think. I believe they have the majority of 99 leased out now. Kudos to them.

Keep in mind that 25 Ottawa will be losing Do More Good (goofiest name ever if you ask me) to the new Arena Place project, so that opens up space in 25 Ottawa.

Sorry, I meant Trade Center. Speaking of that building, has anyone noticed that they lopped off an entire section of the top floor on the southwest corner? I think it's the location of a freight elevator. Don't know if the "notch" out of the top level is temporary or part of the design?

As for 25 Ottawa, it's actually a great building, and I bet Franklin Partners will fill it up. I agree with GRDad, the whole entrance needs a redo, but it has a lot of beautiful loft space. The footprint is pretty huge. If they can reconfigure each floor to allow for smaller spaces (maybe 3-4 per floor), it'll fill up fast.

I personally like the Arena Place Building. It's not an architectural superstar, but I think it will look a bit like 38 when it is done (I didn't like those renderings either). All depends on the facade choices...

Joe

• 3 months later...

Interesting update on 25 Ottawa via MiBiz:

Franklin Partners to renovate 25 Ottawa

Franklin Partners could make a decision as early as this week on the design concept it will pursue in the renovation of the Arena Station building at 25 Ottawa Avenue SW in downtown Grand Rapids.

The company purchased Arena Station in December, and the site was the firm’s second downtown office building after 99 Monroe Avenue, as MiBiz first reported.

“What we’re doing is really dramatically different, but not unlike what we did with 99 Monroe,” said Principal Don Shoemaker. “The designs also fit with the Arena South visioning plan, making it a more retail-friendly environment.”

Franklin Partners is meeting with its design team this week to review sketches and make a final decision on the direction for the project, Shoemaker said.

Wright Heerema Architects of Chicago is designing the exterior and common areas, and Grand Rapids-based Concept Design is responsible for the tenant space planning and layouts. Owen-Ames-Kimball Co. is again serving as the construction manager on the project.

Work on Arena Station could start as early as June 1, Shoemaker said.

“We have a lot of enthusiasm for the project and more plans are brewing,” he said.

- See more at: http://mibiz.com/news/design-build/item/21505-priceline-expands-call-center-operations-in-wyoming#sthash.toe76vGJ.dpuf

Interesting update on 25 Ottawa via MiBiz:

Someone I know had posted some of the concepts on Facebook, looked pretty cool. Completely opening up the ground floor with floor to ceiling windows across the entire front (and presumably side).

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

The rendering above seemed to allude to that.

That name change will be a game-changer for sure.

I wonder if they'll change the structure of the stairways inside.  I remember using the skywalk in the dead of winter when walking to the bus station, and would always have to take the elevator down from floor 3 to 1 because there were no apparent or readily visible stairs between floors 2 & 3.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Archived