Google Fiber coming to Charlotte?

HopHead

According to Google, they're exploring bringing Google Fiber to new cities and Charlotte happens to be on their radar:

http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2014/02/exploring-new-cities-for-google-fiber.html

1200map_updated_green2.png

No timetable is given, but apparently they are going to work with each city on how they may be able to accommodate their needs to bring it to residents (i.e. using existing infrastructure). This is welcome news on the heels of the Comcast/TWC announcement last week. I don't see any cons in Google Fiber coming to town. It would be nothing less than awesome.

• Like 1

Even if people don't want to pay the monthly $70 for gigabit access, I can't think of a single person who would pick the $35 a month Time Warner slow access over the one-time $300 fee for standard Google service. I'm pretty okay with my standard TWC internet but I'd sign up for the standard Google service in a heartbeat.

Everyone should go through the entire suite of information Google presents - Google is working directly with city governments to try and make this happen. Hopefully some young soul will have the energy to start a grass roots campaign to put pressure on local gvmt.

I also like the sweet NC-GA-TN cluster - this could be a major deal for our part of the country.

I don't think the city government will need much compelling to try and make something happen - Patrick Cannon's office and the Chamber have already been tweeting about this - I'm more worried about the NC General Assembly passing some inane law to protect TWC/Comcast. 

Seems like the NCGA would rather just have delivery boys run messages, solve the unemployment problem at the same time.

• Like 1

I hate to say it, but we aren't hip enough for Google fiber.  I'd be stunned if we got it over the likes of San Jose, Portland or even Raleigh.

Even though Austin was one of the first cities to get it, I don't think "hipness" had anything to do with the decision as much as the moderate size and their local government's receptiveness to the idea. Given our track record, I think if we're on Google's radar now it's going to happen if not this round then the next. I wouldn't be surprised if Raleigh/Durham is first in line though.

One thing that I thinkk helps Charlotte is its one municipality, which theoretically is easier to deal with, though mayble multiple towns around Kc shoot down that theory.

For a non-tech person, how big of a deal is this? Like, is it worth relocating a small business to a city with fiber if you are a tech firm?

One thing that I thinkk helps Charlotte is its one municipality, which theoretically is easier to deal with, though mayble multiple towns around Kc shoot down that theory.

For a non-tech person, how big of a deal is this? Like, is it worth relocating a small business to a city with fiber if you are a tech firm?

I'm wondering the same thing.

It seems like the other cities will have surrounding towns to get Fiber also where as Charlotte will be only city limits.... Not trying to be a horrible Metrolina citizen, but I hope it stays that way. Surrounding towns have the advantage of being cheaper, this will give us an advantage hopefully on jobs that might go to Mooresville or Rock Hill (maybe?)

The CO article seems to imply that it would be really big for attracting new tech-driven companies and retaining companies who would use the new fiber optic network... No one likes downgrading once you're spoiled.

With all the DataCenters in this area, Hmmmmm

The article in the Observer said it took about 2 years to implement the fiber service in Kansas City. One of the best parts about Google Fiber is that it's forcing the other companies to up their game and offer similar services. I know I would gladly switch even if TWC/Comcast offered the same gigabit service.

I'm more worried about the NC General Assembly passing some inane law to protect TWC/Comcast. 

I can picture something like this happening with the current General Assembly: "We didn't need the Google to write the Constitution so we don't need the Google now!"

• Like 2

I'm wondering the same thing.

It seems like the other cities will have surrounding towns to get Fiber also where as Charlotte will be only city limits.... Not trying to be a horrible Metrolina citizen, but I hope it stays that way. Surrounding towns have the advantage of being cheaper, this will give us an advantage hopefully on jobs that might go to Mooresville or Rock Hill (maybe?)

I couldn't disagree with you more. This has been on my radar for a couple of years. I live in Cornelius and I want Google Fiber. I honestly don't give a flip if Charlotte gets it or not. Now, would I really go around saying that or even root for it? No, that would be a total jerk move. The internet is a democratizer, not a commodity to give one city an advantage over another.

I hate to say it, but we aren't hip enough for Google fiber.  I'd be stunned if we got it over the likes of San Jose, Portland or even Raleigh.

I don't think Charlotte is in competition with the other 8 metros. I think Google will put in the network in all 9 if it works out.

Not to kill any buzz, but it takes FOREVER for it all to be implemented. Its almost been a year since it was announced for Austin and its still not available yet. It is being made available (supposedly) to business in late summer. It will be quite some time before Charlotte sees this up and running.

Google's problems in Austin are the reason they are doing pre-announcements.  From the Business Journal:

Google is trying something different from its previous buzz-inducing announcements in cities such as Austin and Kansas City.

“Before, we just made the announcement,” Hester says.

And now? Nine markets were announced as potential spots for the service.

It’s a change that appears to give Google some leeway, should administrative bureaucracy rear its ugly head and create headaches.

Hester says that after the announcement in Austin, things didn’t move as quickly as Google had hoped, as the company soon realized there was a lot more work to do.

I couldn't disagree with you more. This has been on my radar for a couple of years. I live in Cornelius and I want Google Fiber. I honestly don't give a flip if Charlotte gets it or not. Now, would I really go around saying that or even root for it? No, that would be a total jerk move. The internet is a democratizer, not a commodity to give one city an advantage over another.

I don't think Charlotte is in competition with the other 8 metros. I think Google will put in the network in all 9 if it works out.

I'm not talking about the personal aspect (because i could honestly careless about faster Internet etc) I'm talking about the business recruitment/retainment side. I wonder if this could give the city limits an edge over keeping business in the city as opposed to other cities (Shelby, Kings Mountain or across state lines in Ft. Mill, Rock Hill etc) in the metro that offer lower taxes and cheaper cost of doing business.

I could make a big list of jerk moves; Making an incentive package for Boeing. Now that's a jerk move. Etc.

I don't think trying to retain a tax base is a jerk move. Especially when those jobs/dollars flow out of state

Edited by AirNostrumMAD