Greenville Water System Campus

vicupstate

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

I spoke about this project earlier. The park and its arrangement are in trouble. They are getting opposition from the both neighborhoods about these changes. It's everything from the big oak tree on Washington street coming down unnecessary to the surprise of the park. alot of folks think this whole project is/was mismanaged. 

It was originally intended to keep the large oak on Washington.  It was only decided to remove it after having it evaluated by a professional arborist who determined that it was in decline and not likely to survive much longer.  The park is still an open green space with the main difference being the elimination of the amphitheater, which I don't think the space had much of a need for to begin with.  I think the new park space provides options for a wider range of uses rather than limiting it to just an amphitheater.  

The arborist was brought in after the fact. They took the tree down before they knew if it had to be done in the first place. People from the neighborhood associations started questioning why it was done. When the plans didn't call for you to even nowhere near the tree. They said that the tree wouldn't survive all the construction. Not that it was going to die anyway. How do I know? Because I was there in the neighborhood meeting when it was said. And in regards to the park. Well the reason they needed the amphitheater is because of the mixed-use component of the project. Mo matter what you read in the paper. Usually I don't really complain about many things. But people when get their information second hand and then start putting it out there as fact then that is just bad business. 

Further more. If this goes through. It will be because of the mayor. He's on the water system's board and just want this thing done. It's becoming a big headache to all involved. One member, won't put them out there, said they wish that they would have put it on fairforest way like they started to. 

I've been involved with the project long before the tree was removed so I'm not putting out second hand information here.  I know for a fact that the arborist was used to evaluate the health of the tree before it was taken down.  Again, it was originally intended to keep the tree, but no sense in building around it if it would end up declining in the near future.  And in the end the park is an open green space available for public use.  Does having an amphitheater or not really make a difference?

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Archived