Twelve Weston (Formerly known as 35 and 41 S Division)

ModSquad

Scott, the owner of Adtegrity is on this forum. Good for you guys! I think the article got it a little wrong though. As far as I know they have space in 38 and across the street on the top floor of the Corl-Knott building. 

I almost posted a picture of a duck swimming in the "pond" that is sitting on this site. Kind of an amusing sight.

Joe

• 3 months later...

You have to wonder if some developers are a bit concerned about absorption with so much coming online.

This and Arena Place are the only office buildings coming online, as far as I know?? There's a lot of old outdated office space downtown being brought up to today's standards. Is that what you mean?

This and Arena Place are the only office buildings coming online, as far as I know?? There's a lot of old outdated office space downtown being brought up to today's standards. Is that what you mean?

Yes, existing upgrades to to places like the Ledyard Building, The Trust and Trade Center Buildings.  Class A on S Division is a bold move.  Hope it works out.  

25 Ottawa is also being upgraded to class A. Not an insignificant amount of space, though it's my understanding that much/most of it is already spoken for.

It is. I think the only leasable space is on the first floor, and that is going quickly. Single tenant is taking the rest of the building. The restaurant is set (2nd concept for restaurant owners already in downtown). So 25 Ottawa is basically off the market.

Joe 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
10 minutes ago, ctpgr34 said:

I was told was they were not going to start anything until they had more tenants signed.  Hope this means they signed more tenants!!

I thought about that and I also wondered if it was work related to Rockwell/Republic's building. That seems to be where the work is focused. 

On 12/3/2015 at 5:49 PM, joeDowntown said:

I've walked by the site the last two days and it definitely looks like they are digging around the wall of Rockwell/Republic. Still hoping this work is an indication that something will happen sometime soon. 

Joe

Looks like they're repairing or fortifying the base of the Rockwell/Republic building. They're spraying cement onto a steel mesh along the base of the wall. 

23570743502_61854d458e_h.jpg

19 hours ago, GRDadof3 said:

Looks like they're repairing or fortifying the base of the Rockwell/Republic building. They're spraying cement onto a steel mesh along the base of the wall. 

23570743502_61854d458e_h.jpg

Looks like they've installed ground anchors beneath the Rockwell/Republic building foundation - to prevent settling or collapse during excavation. I bet they'll start soon.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
On 8/25/2015 at 11:17 AM, arcturus said:

Yes, existing upgrades to to places like the Ledyard Building, The Trust and Trade Center Buildings.  Class A on S Division is a bold move.  Hope it works out.  

'Office Tower Project Stalls' - https://mibiz.com/item/23660-proposed-12-weston-office-tower-project-stalls-developer-to-explore-other-options

Concerns realized.  Maybe they can turn it into a really deep downtown swimming pool!

10 minutes ago, arcturus said:

'Office Tower Project Stalls' - https://mibiz.com/item/23660-proposed-12-weston-office-tower-project-stalls-developer-to-explore-other-options

Concerns realized.  Maybe they can turn it into a really deep downtown swimming pool!

Kind of saw that coming. Maybe they'll end up going residential. 

Does this point to a saturation of downtown office development?  It kind of falls in line with the fact that Warner Tower only has one spec floor designed into the project. On one hand with Grand Rapids' red hot economy it's surprising there isn't more demand for new class A space.  Wonder how things will play out with the Keeler and the Calder Plaza building.

The signs have been pointing to a level of saturation for a few months now.  It feels like a major office tenant needs to locate downtown to keep the momentum going.  Since it's unlikely that any of the Fortune 500 sized companies in the suburbs would ever relocate downtown, we need The Right Place to step it up and get a major company from outside the area to move here :D

1 hour ago, mpchicago said:

Does this point to a saturation of downtown office development?  It kind of falls in line with the fact that Warner Tower only has one spec floor designed into the project. On one hand with Grand Rapids' red hot economy it's surprising there isn't more demand for new class A space.  Wonder how things will play out with the Keeler and the Calder Plaza building.

Most of that growth is healthcare related (Spectrum, Trinity, Metro Health) and Spectrum is doing more than its fair share of taking over Class B space, like in Brassworks, etc.., Trinity is investing in its campus already, Metro is pretty well set in Wyoming. The rest of majority of the growth is manufacturing related, and trucking. They don't really want to be downtown. 

If you look at the jobs data, every sector is pretty hot, except for professional and business services and information. Those are the two most likely candidates for class A downtown. They've pretty much plateau'd over the last 6 months. Part of me thinks though that it must be partly due to re-classification of labor by the BLS, because it wouldn't make sense that every other sector was growing, population is growing, we're basically at full employment, and professional business services WOULDN'T be growing. 

http://www.bls.gov/regions/midwest/mi_grandrapids_msa.htm#eag

I'm surprised that LMCU didn't consider downtown. Or maybe they did, and decided the parking hassles would be too much (*ducks*) for customers who come into the HQ's for appointments/meetings.