JW Marriott - 385' - 34 Floors

smeagolsfree

I suspect that the demo company may salvage materials form site for recycling. That may be why they are doing it this way, to take the metal and then the marble off instead of just a wrecking ball that would be much faster.

I need to find that wrecking sub-contractor, to acquire some of those darker-colored panels at the ground level (either granite or terrazzo).
-==-

Edited by rookzie

Looks sad!  Anyone know the history of the buildings at that site.  It would appear that the lower (printing plant?) section is older than the "new" office building. I had heard somewhere that the "new" section was built in 1956... and it was one of the first privately built air-conditioned buildings in Nashville. If so, that would put it a just a year or two older than the L&C tower.

Hopefully the Capitol won't be touched by all this growth... IMHO one of the top five state capitols in architectural history, beauty and significance. 

I've expressed this before. I really hope the state doesn't divest the green park-like space around the capitol building. It creates a pediment appropriate for our magnificent and extremely significant building (if Billy Strickland had anything to say about it, probably the most significant Greek Revival building in the country).

• Like 2

I've expressed this before. I really hope the state doesn't divest the green park-like space around the capitol building. It creates a pediment appropriate for our magnificent and extremely significant building (if Billy Strickland had anything to say about it, probably the most significant Greek Revival building in the country).

Hate to say it, but I would not be surprised when I'm gone (you think?), that the state might even partially restructure its surface parking assets within the roughly quadrant-shaped land bordered by 9th Ave N. and 10th Circle (shared with TSU Avon Williams Campus).  The First Baptist Capitol Hill property won't be touched, since it was a "settlement", so to speak, for the condemning of the original church site at 8th and Charlotte back in the late '60s.  What I see is the state considering some higher-capacity re-use, as perhaps multi-level parking garages, or even some deal involving some multi-modal transportation project which has long yet to be conceived as a even a glimmer (maybe by 2041).  Even without it obstructing the overlook view from Capitol Hill toward the NW, I just cannot see the state not eventually mulling over a staged re-utilization of some fof that land ─ even the concept of working with the city to tunnel Jas. Rob Pkwy, south of Nelson Merry Street, and all the way to just north of Church St., thereby covering the existing canyon that channels Jas. Rob.  Just a wild-haired thought.  This is not green-space as is that east of Rosa Parks Blvd (8th Ave N.)
-==-

I woke din the building briefly, and too be honest, the building had lots of issues, especially the former printing plant which was used just for storage. They could have made cool lofts out of the red brick buildings, but the Keeble Building needed lots of work. Again, I wish they could have saved the building as well and converted it to something, but alas; the razing of 1-10 story buildings will continue. It seems it's only the large monoliths we save. I will be upset if the towers on the Lifeway site come down.

• 3 weeks later...