The "We Need A New Outdoor Venue" Thread

grilled_cheese

• 2 months later...

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Drove by the amphitheater site this morning and steel is going up for the stage.      As I watch this take shape, the stage looks even closer to KVB than I thought it would be.    Although when I look at the renderings, the stage is going exactly where it was drawn (directly across from Molloy St).     It really will be a pretty small venue and 6500 should pack it pretty tight.    

It should be a nice venue when finished, but I don't see it as a viable alternative for events like Live on the Green, with its recent crowds of 18,000 (except last night).    Idea: close KVB during shows and turn the bridge into a foodtruck court.   

Drove by the amphitheater site this morning and steel is going up for the stage.      As I watch this take shape, the stage looks even closer to KVB than I thought it would be.    Although when I look at the renderings, the stage is going exactly where it was drawn (directly across from Molloy St).     It really will be a pretty small venue and 6500 should pack it pretty tight.    

It should be a nice venue when finished, but I don't see it as a viable alternative for events like Live on the Green, with its recent crowds of 18,000 (except last night).    Idea: close KVB during shows and turn the bridge into a foodtruck court.   

Enough with the food trucks! I'll be glad when this fad goes away! Now if we could only rid the country of this bacon addiction, we will be okay!

Yes, I aired my concerns about the size of the venue earlier in this thread.

But to compare it to live on the green, a free concert series, is a stretch.  Live Nation will be operating it so the prices for the events that take place there will be LN prices.  If they charged 1$ for LotG then I guarantee they would cut that crowd by a 1/3.  Filling a venue at $40-$60 a pop is not always as easy.  We'll see.  Hoping for the best.

It can house quite a few lower-level bands...but we'll never be able to see a really well-known band in the amphitheater, because of its size (or lack of size).  Personally...I wish they would have backed the stage up to where the "green" is located and allow for at least 10k+.

Too late now!  :dontknow:

• 3 weeks later...

Pretty good article on live music economics and booking.  It specifically mentions how the new riverfront amphitheater will be a good size but then they say the actual desired size is x amount bigger in the same breathe (???).

http://www.nashvillescene.com/nashville/the-record-industry-is-dying-the-concert-industry-is-booming-the-club-scene-is-nervous/Content?oid=4693094

Good read either way.

Pretty good article on live music economics and booking.  It specifically mentions how the new riverfront amphitheater will be a good size but then they say the actual desired size is x amount bigger in the same breathe (???).

http://www.nashvillescene.com/nashville/the-record-industry-is-dying-the-concert-industry-is-booming-the-club-scene-is-nervous/Content?oid=4693094

Good read either way.

He says..."I think it's the right size (6,800)"...but then goes on to state that 8000-12,000 is the right size.  

I actually agree that it should have been at least 10k...and could have easily been that if they had moved the stage north a little.

I think there will be many occasions in the near future where they slap their foreheads and say, "what were we thinking?"

Take another look at the renderings, folks... The current layout allows for a very wide spread (95+ degree angle) with everyone being a reasonable distance from the stage. The farther back they move the stage, the longer and narrower the venue (pie wedge) would be...

Diminishing returns, if I had to guess.

I drive over KVB bridge most mornings (heading for my Crema fix).   On recent days, as I've had the windows down sitting on the bridge at the light next to the amphitheater construction, what I've noticed is how loud traffic is on KVB, particularly with trucks accelerating up the incline of the bridge.   I expect the amphitheater will have some sort of fence or wall to enclose it from the streets, but it will almost need something that acts as a sound buffer so people on the upper slope don't have the music drowned out by KVB traffic.     

I drive over KVB bridge most mornings (heading for my Crema fix).   On recent days, as I've had the windows down sitting on the bridge at the light next to the amphitheater construction, what I've noticed is how loud traffic is on KVB, particularly with trucks accelerating up the incline of the bridge.   I expect the amphitheater will have some sort of fence or wall to enclose it from the streets, but it will almost need something that acts as a sound buffer so people on the upper slope don't have the music drowned out by KVB traffic.     

Have you seen that tv show, The Dome?  I'm thinking they need something like this over the amphitheater.  :shades:

Archived