The "We Need A New Outdoor Venue" Thread

grilled_cheese

I wouldn't be surprised if the reason is because any performance will have to compete with downtown noises.  Probably has some serious amplification.  Seems very high thought, doesn't it?  In this discussion, it occurs to me that one reason the seating area appears to be so small is it's relative to the enormous stage. 

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Grand opening of the new Riverfront Park and Amphitheater this Sunday.

Karl F. Dean

Free Community Day at Riverfront Park and Ascend Amphitheater on Sunday, Aug. 2 ... Free T-Shirts!

riverfront

Mayor Karl Dean, Metro Parks and Live Nation invite you to a free open house, which will take place from 1 p.m. to 5 p.m. on Sunday, Aug. 2.

Free T-shirts from past community health events hosted by Mayor Dean will be given away at the NashVitality tent on a first-come basis. Volunteers will also be giving away free hand fans that include a map of Riverfront Park.

Free parking for those attending Community Day will be available at Nissan Stadium with convenient access to Riverfront Park across the Seigenthaler Pedestrian Bridge. Other parking and transportation options include Nashville B-Cycle and Nashville MTA buses.

light meander

Lots of Family-Friendly Activities

Activities at Ascend Amphitheater will include live local music and DJs on the amphitheater stage from 2 p.m. to 5 p.m. and limited backstage access.

Concession stands will be open to purchase food and drinks.

Activities at Riverfront Park will include:

• Fitness demonstrations by Metro Parks and Recreation on The Green, including Pound and Zumba

• Guided tours by docents from the Nashville Tree Foundation of the Betty Brown Tree Trail, which includes 225 individual trees representing 43 different species

• Container garden demonstrations by Cheekwood Botanical Garden and Museum of Art at the Riverview Garden at 2 p.m., 3 p.m. and 4 p.m.

• Educational booths from NashVitality, Metro Parks Nature Centers and Greenways for Nashville.

Visitors are encouraged to bring their Frisbees and soccer balls and enjoy the soccer-field size area called The Green. Dogs on leashes are welcome -- and can roam free in the Dog Park.

The park also includes a variety of sports equipment and games, including two half-court basketball courts, game boards for chess and checkers, nine custom swings and a workout area with 11 fitness stations.

I'm watching News 2 and they just showed a live shot of the amphitheater, and Eric Church is performing tonight to open the venue. 

Well...it appears they have a portion of KVB (from 1st back up onto the bridge) blocked off coming across the river and into SoBro...and have all of Eric's tractor trailers parked on KVB back up onto the edge of the bridge.  Is this where they'll park busses and tractor trailers for concerts?!  Surely they thought about artist buses and trucks when building this venue...right?

IMG_1298.JPG

Yikes. Surely they can do something better than that. Of course, I'd never completely discount the chance that these trucks are parked illegally. The gall some delivery truck drivers can have when it comes to blocking streets to get 10 feet closer to an entrance can be shocking; I imagine it goes the same with people driving trucks for celebrity musicians.

Yikes. Surely they can do something better than that. Of course, I'd never completely discount the chance that these trucks are parked illegally. The gall some delivery truck drivers can have when it comes to blocking streets to get 10 feet closer to an entrance can be shocking; I imagine it goes the same with people driving trucks for celebrity musicians.

I'm thinking with all of the orange cones I could see, it would have to be the city who is shutting it down.

There is an area on the east (river) side of the stage, with space for 4 buses side-by-side. If they are double parked, then the number goes to 8-10 buses for that motor court area. Still does not seem to be enough for Mr. Church... so were there other acts? 

Ascend Amphitheater July 30 15 1617.jpg

I can imagine the venue supervisor getting there today and suddenly 6 buses and 3-4 semis pull up and he says, "wait...you guys have semi's, too?!"

I don't see anywhere on the venue campus where semi's could park...so I'm guessing this is the what they'll have to do every show for large bands like Eric Church.

I don't know who this Eric Church guy is, but it appears that like me, he's a chronic over-packer.

On a separate note, what are those structures on the right hand side of the above photo that appear to front 1st?

He's a fairly big Country name....but 3 trucks isn't all that ridiculous. I think the U2 tour that came by Vandy a few years back had something like 120. That's freakin' ridiculous.

As for the structures....I think those are related to the venue. Concessions/bathrooms, maybe?

A venue need not have parking at or near the dock for all the trucks required for a show. The equipment is unloaded and the empty is taken away to a parking lot somewhere and waits until the show is over. (Or along the KVB bridge and street, oddly, as was the case tonight.) That would be the same for a concert performance as with a theatre performance (where my direct knowledge of the issue is rooted). The long running tour of The Phantom of the Opera required twenty-six trucks to move from city to city. Needless to say, Tennessee Performing Arts Center does NOT have parking for twenty-six 18 wheelers! (This is also true for big trade shows that come into the Music City Center or Gaylord Opryland.)

Trucks still parked there for this morning's rush hour commute.  With the re-striping of westbound KVB to allow for 2 left turning lanes onto Hermitage Ave, this effectively means that with these trucks there is only one open westbound lane of KVB crossing 1st.  It was not fun this morning, but it didn't help that 2nd Avenue was closed as well.

We keep building and building...with no mass transit in the future...and then we park trucks on a main road into the CBD. :huh:  And tonight...almost every venue in downtown will have something going on and the westbound loop will be closed down for bridge repairs.  Gonna be a nightmare if you're going DT tonight.

He's a fairly big Country name....but 3 trucks isn't all that ridiculous. I think the U2 tour that came by Vandy a few years back had something like 120. That's freakin' ridiculous.

U2 built their own stage, in the round, with no existing rigging in open-air stadiums for the 360° Tour. Eric Church and subsequent acts are playing in a bandshell specifically designed to accommodate their equipment.

I can't keep today's country stars straight these days, anyway. Is Eric Church the one who finds a sylistic medium between cowboy and redneck and sings songs about drinking in hayfields with girls in sundresses and tight jeans while making nods to contemporary pop and hip-hop musical styles?

Edit: Never mind, I like "Talladega" if for no other reason than it acknowledges the fact, little-known by detractors of the sport, that NASCAR races are effectively 96-hour-long tailgate parties.

Not so much the tailgates and tight jeans guy.  You're probably thinking about Luke Bryan.

Ugh.

I actually had the opportunity to attend a CMA afterparty thrown by one of the labels at Sambuca in the Gulch a number of years ago. They had a number of artists perform during the party and a memory that stands out was seeing Eric Church play that night. He has a pretty massive sound to his live shows and such a small venue was a killer show.

The other significant memory from that party was a clearly frustrated Nicole Kidman tucked away in a corner booth with the curtains drawn as so to escape from the mobs of people that wouldn't leave her alone.

Anyway, carry on!

Archived