Cotswold Area Projects

Miesian Corners

Rumors are flying around the neighborhood that the Randolph Park Apartments and Kangaroo gas station will be demolished to build a Target and Walgreen's.

Gotta sounds like a nimby for a second but... Like this area really needs anymore traffic.

The neighbor who told me about this said that the developers of Target and Walgreens will pay to widen Sharon-Amity and install a turn lane with a signal at the main Target entrance (next to the Fifth Third Bank).  The rumor mill continues with this tidbit: the 4-year old Starbucks at Cotswold Shopping Center will close and demolished and relocate adjacent to the new Publix. This will allow entrances to Publix and Cotswold SC to be lined up for turn lanes and signal.   

Rumors are flying around the neighborhood that the Randolph Park Apartments and Kangaroo gas station will be demolished to build a Target and Walgreen's.

Heard the same rumor this weekend. A patient of my wife lives in the apartments and they have been told no new/extended leases and they plan to sell and demo the site. The "office people" hinted to the renters that it was a Target.

• 3 weeks later...

Rumor has it (via the Cotswold Elementary principal) is that in addition to the demo of the BP station, the Cotswold Bojangles is set to be/is sold.

The principal also stated that Publix is working with the school to create some sort of bus turning lane to help alleviate the backups there during drop off and pick up. The school is also trying to work with Sonic on adding a road along the apartment property they bought along Colwick and demo'd to add another entrance to the school, specifically for buses.  Sonic said they don't have any plans for the site at this moment.  That would go a long to alleviate the traffic nightmare at pickup time.  Since Cotswold is a magnet and half the kids live many miles away from the school, many many parents (myself included) drive in to pick up their kids at 4pm. 

As much as I love Target, the traffic in that area is horrible. The Harris Teeter parking lot is like a death trap ugh.

I always worried about traffic when I moved to Cotswald. I've been here 2 months and I have to say that the Harris Teeter at Sharon Amity & Randolph not only has a much better selection of basically everything, but also has a much better parking situation than my old HT at Kenilworth Commons. I haven't experienced anything as bad as that here. Also, I have to say when coming home, the traffic at that intersection is WAY less than I expected. It's really not as bad of an intersection as I had dreaded it would be. Granted, a Target might make it that, but would awfully damned convenient for us.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't really mind the Target, and am really happy about the Publix, especially if it is giving the area an opportunity to add/adjust some roads to improve the existing traffic issues. It means I don't have to leave the area at all if I don't want to and maybe a little better selection of bar/restaurants will pop up with all this development. 

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

So I've gathered that the Target may be built where the Randolph Park apts currently sit and the Starbucks will join from across the street - is that right?    Will there be any other shops/restaurants as part of that build?  

IMO - Cotswold is in dire need of a restaurant with some shaded outdoor seating, preferably dog friendly.  I was bummed when I heard about the bank on the corner to replace the BP.   Why in dire need?  Oh just because that's what I would like to do - walk my dog up to a place to sit down and have a beer.  I moved recently from Plaza Midwood and I really enjoyed that availability of walking to restaurants.   You don't know what you have until you lose it!  

If nothing comes along I guess I'll just have to invest in the backyard set up, which is seems is the trend for the neighborhood.   I guess it's easier for young families to stay home...makes sense as this area seems more family centered.   

Not sure where to put this, but looks like Publix is taking another location pretty close by.  They are going to the corner of Fairview and Providence, where the Caramel on Providence apartments are currently (i don't think this has been previously mentioned).

• Like 1

Not sure where to put this, but looks like Publix is taking another location pretty close by.  They are going to the corner of Fairview and Providence, where the Caramel on Providence apartments are currently (i don't think this has been previously mentioned).

I've heard it's Teeter, which would also make sense given the long history with them and Raley Miller. 

• 2 weeks later...

Just out of curiosity I called Randolph Park Apartments today, inquired, and was told I can lease a unit long-term beginning October 1st. It doesn't sound like there is imminent development at this site. The current rumor in our neighborhood is that Target will also be at the rezoning site at Fairview and Providence. Hopeful.

Target is 100% not going to be at the site on Fairview and Providence. Maybe long-term they could wind up at Strawberry Hill, if they redevelop further, but the Raley Mill/Levine site has a condition that will cap the retail at 95,000 sf. Ignoring the Harris Teeter and Walgreens planned there, a Target alone is typically 135,000 sf and a super target is 175,000 sf, so there's no Target going on that site. 

Regarding Randolph Park, I wouldn't count a redevelopment out by the leasing agent's response. Typically, in a contract to develop on a site with an existing use, the seller has the right to operating business as usual until the end if their due diligence when the deposit becomes non-refundable. Usually from that point on is when they are limited to a certain term lease. That's typically when the rezoning application will be filed too. Since it hasn't been filed yet, they are probably still just operating under normal circumstances. Even after the zoning petition is filed, it will be approximately 1 year before they would be able to break ground, so it makes sense in either scenario that you can still sign a longer term lease there. 

Teeter is a partner in the land with Raley Miller, so subtracting 53k from the max number leaves 42k. There's no Target happening here. 

Buzzkill! That would have been much closer for me than a Cotwold Target now that my kid is no longer going to go to Cotwold Elementary.

In a related note, thank god because Fairview/Providence is already one of the most congested intersections in Charlotte at rush hour!

Not sure if this was posted anywhere, but Harris Teeter will be remodeling their store in Cotswold, and adding a second level:

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/business/biz-columns-blogs/whats-in-store/article26721913.html

Will be interested to see how this unfolds. If they shut down before Publix is ready, there's no grocery store close in to Cotswold, if they did it after Puiblix is open they would be handing over a lot of business.  

Will be interested to see how this unfolds. If they shut down before Publix is ready, there's no grocery store close in to Cotswold, if they did it after Puiblix is open they would be handing over a lot of business.  

Do you think they'll need to shut down for this?  It's not really much of an expansion.  

• 4 weeks later...