New Hotels in/around Uptown

cltbwimob

Since there seems to be a flood of hotel proposals that are scant on details, I was wondering if anyone had any information such as brands, construction time frames, etc. on the following hotels:

-SREE at the arena

-Crescent Tryon Place (Boutique hotel site)

-2nd Crescent parcel (Full service hotel site)

-Levine's hotel in Midtown

-Former 210 Trade

-Marriott rebranding to JW Marriott

-300 South Tryon hotel site

-Possible Loews hotel

Obviously, these projects have received attention in other threads, I just wanted to consolidate.

Theoretically the following sites are in play:

Ballpark office/hotel building.

Parking lot behind Trademark (though this may be dead as it looks like the site sold to Preferred Park instead of OHM unless they are going to partner)

Homewood Suites adjacent Carillon fronting Church St.

Also, I believe The Worthington Hotel in Dilworth is moving forward, though I don't know timeframe for breaking ground.

Also, the most imminent is the 10-story Embassy suites that just cleared Land-Use approval, and I believe is now entered into permitting. 

^I think the OHM deal can be considered dead. Like you said, preferred parking bought the site in March. Preferred was also entertaining an offer to flip the land to an apartment developer, although that deal may already be dead given the size of the parcel and how expensive it would be to build apartments on. That said, if a hotel developer came around, it appears that Preferred is a willing seller, so it could still be in play. 

The SREE project is on that oddly shaped piece of land across 5th from the arena right? Has there been any more info about that one? Seems like its been a while since anyone has mentioned anything about it.

I see no evidence of any further progress, since we last spoke. Perhaps someone else has some insight. 

• 1 year later...

Looks like the Grand Bohemian is on...I was worried that this project wouldn't get built but it appears to be moving forward.

http://m.bizjournals.com/charlotte/blog/real_estate/2015/09/kessler-purchases-uptown-site-for-grand-bohemian.html

whoops yeah forgot to post this. More info coming soon. This will be an awesome project. 

^^^Grand Bohemian hotels, from what I can tell, are awesome.  So this will be a nice addition to our hospitality scene.

Now if the rumored W at Tryon Place, Kimpton (hopefully Hotel Monaco) at 300 S. Tryon, the rumored Loews at Crescent Stonewall, and the rumored Hyatt Regency come to fruition we will have a nice little portfolio of hotels uptown.  All we would need then is a JW and Hotel Indigo, and we would have a nice mixture of luxury, boutique, and full-service brands to round out our list.

CHA had, at one point, put the property up for sale. I believe it was originally built and used as a hotel too. 21c would be a huge asset to uptown. They typically look for incentives from the city, which I wouldn't be opposed to since it would renovate, restore and make one of our remaining historic buildings a focal point uptown. It would also bring momentum to the N. Tryon corridor, which is a big initiative for the city.

Just came across the article below about the original hotel. Interesting history of guests...Richard Nixon, Judy Garland, Elvis, etc. They refer to it as once being "one of the South's finest hotels."

http://www.hotel-online.com/News/PR2009_1st/Jan09_Barringer.html

Edited by Prodev
  • Like 1

^^^Grand Bohemian hotels, from what I can tell, are awesome.  So this will be a nice addition to our hospitality scene.

Now if the rumored W at Tryon Place, Kimpton (hopefully Hotel Monaco) at 300 S. Tryon, the rumored Loews at Crescent Stonewall, and the rumored Hyatt Regency come to fruition we will have a nice little portfolio of hotels uptown.  All we would need then is a JW and Hotel Indigo, and we would have a nice mixture of luxury, boutique, and full-service brands to round out our list.

In all honesty, I think we could live without a JW and Hote Indigo if all those other hotels came to fruition. 

In all honesty, I think we could live without a JW and Hote Indigo if all those other hotels came to fruition. 

It would be nice to have them for the business traveler who wants to stay in them (consultants). I loved staying at the Hilton in Uptown and always wished there was one in South Park since I had to stay at the Double Tree too often due to last minute bookings and the Hilton being too full.

It would be nice to have them for the business traveler who wants to stay in them (consultants). I loved staying at the Hilton in Uptown and always wished there was one in South Park since I had to stay at the Double Tree too often due to last minute bookings and the Hilton being too full.

I think it would be nice to have those as well. 

Perhaps they could go to Southpark instead of Uptown.  A couple of years ago, some developer (I think Pappas but perhaps I'm wrong) was planning a Hotel Indigo near Southpark, but the deal fell apart.  Supposedly there were sites in Southend that were being evaluated for an Indigo as well, but I think those fell through as well.  Seems as if there is a desire by some developers around town to place an Indigo in Charlotte but nothing ever seems to pan out.

The Hall House is still in fairly good shape the last time I was in the building back in the spring. A few coworkers that work in that area said they were told it was suppose to be condos. For all I know they could of just been blowing smoke. Either way I hope they increase security for the building, we found evidence of recent homeless activity (burning cigarette butts) when we were inside. I guess it didn't help that the front door was WIDE OPEN. And this was a night to boot. Hope they do something with it soon, it's a beautiful building. 

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, Jayvee said:

Supposedly Feb 2016 is when we will hear a full on announcement. Perhaps January, late.

Anyone else got the feeling that Hines is going to develop this hotel and then immediately turn around and sell the entire site?

9 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

Anyone else got the feeling that Hines is going to develop this hotel and then immediately turn around and sell the entire site?

Yes, especially given the fact they have full ground floor retail now (Bella Fresca is getting upfitted) and Hines is redoing the entire ground floor of the building (not sure what they are doing to it yet, trying to figure it out)

While this thread is revived....here is my current inventory of "Coming Soon" hotels uptown

Kimpton
Home2Suites
Embassy Suites
Homewood Suites
Canopy
AC Hotel
Residence Inn
Springhill Suites
Grand Bohemian
Ivey's Boutique Hotel
Charlotte Observer Site
Crescent Stonewall 2 (Likely a Hyatt Centric)
Tryon Place (Likely a Loews)
Edited by Jayvee

^^^Weren't there more?  I thought there were multiple Intercontinental Brand hotels including Indigo in the works for uptown.  Also don't forget the Curio that Levine intends to build 35 years from now in Midtown.

Edit- Tryon Place is now supposed to be a Loews?  Sheesh before that it was a W and before that it was either going to be a Hyatt Regency or JW.  I wonder how many more times it is going to change before we hat something.

Edit 2- Wasn't the Kimpton brand supposed to be announced by now?

Edited by cltbwimob

18 minutes ago, cltbwimob said:

^^^Weren't there more?  I thought there were multiple Intercontinental Brand hotels including Indigo in the works for uptown.  Also don't forget the Curio that Levine intends to build 35 years from now in Midtown.

Edit- Tryon Place is now supposed to be a Loews?  Sheesh before that it was a W and before that it was either going to be a Hyatt Regency or JW.  I wonder how many more times it is going to change before we hat something.

Edit 2- Wasn't the Kimpton brand supposed to be announced by now?

The IHG Projects haven't been formally announced to the media, ink is dry on commitment for one of the brands, and they are one of the 2 hotel groups FFTC is talking to for the Carolina Theatre Project. As far as "wasn't that supposed to be announced by now" goes... don't we ask that question with every single project? No PR team is ever on time with announcements.

Edited by Guest

2 hours ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

The IHG Projects haven't been formally announced to the media, ink is dry on commitment for one of the brands, and they are one of the 2 hotel groups FFTC is talking to for the Carolina Theatre Project. As far as "wasn't that supposed to be announced by now" goes... don't we ask that question with every single project? No PR team is ever on time with announcements.

Yes we do ask that question all the time.  It's just that in August the announcement was supposed to come by September, in September the announcement was supposed to come by the end of October, then in October it was supposed to come by the end of November, now here it is the last day of November, and no announcement.  Inquiring minds want to know.