Proposed Projects / Current Projects Underway 2017

TheLonesomeHobo

Despite being new to this board i've noticed over the last month or two that there are so many projects proposed / projects under construction that it has proven difficult to keep track of all of them / stay up to date with what's going on with them. That got me thinking that this could be a great opportunity to use this thread as a 'database' of where all ongoing / proposed projects stand.

I'd love to be able to continuously edit this thread to reflect a current status of all working / proposed projects to serve as a current database as information comes in about already planned projects and projects already underway. If everyone can all start adding to this thread with what they know about certain projects i'll start creating a list of projects via this post that are already under construction, suppose to be starting soon, or currently in the planning stages / proposed, respectively.

Let's see if we can make this work or i'm just throwing out a shot in the dark!

Despite being new to this board i've noticed over the last month or two that there are so many projects proposed / projects under construction that it has proven difficult to keep track of all of them / stay up to date with what's going on with them. That got me thinking that this could be a great opportunity to use this thread as a 'database' of where all ongoing / proposed projects stand.

I'd love to be able to continuously edit this thread to reflect a current status of all working / proposed projects to serve as a current database as information comes in about already planned projects and projects already underway. If everyone can all start adding to this thread with what they know about certain projects i'll start creating a list of projects via this post that are already under construction, suppose to be starting soon, or currently in the planning stages / proposed, respectively.

Let's see if we can make this work or i'm just throwing out a shot in the dark!

That would be great. I used to keep a thread going like that but it became a hassle to keep it constantly updated.

http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index.php/topic/19783-downtown-grand-rapids-development-roundup-2009/?hl=grand+rapids+construction+projects

But instead of people adding to it continuously (and the ensuing conversations that happen after each of those posts) it's better if you have the first post in the thread be all of the projects together. That way someone who stumbles on the thread can see all of the projects together.

You just have to keep editing your first post and adding info and images.

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone tried using the Urban Planet Project Database that's linked from the top of the thread list page? It seems like it was built for this sort of thing.

Years ago but it's too "formal."

Maybe some people can help me take a stab at this. I think apartment projects are the biggest numbers right now.

Apartments/Residential

Proposed:

820 Monroe Avenue conversion - 89 market rate, retail, restaurant

15969838849_446b1fae48_c.jpg

Warehouse on Alabama Ave conversion

15267357063_ae02716761_c.jpg

20 Fulton E

11229441616_c68254cc49.jpg

Venue Tower at The BOB

16156061425_687100aeb7_o.jpg

Lake Michigan Drive and Seward

15969885309_82183efd91_c.jpg

Coit and Hastings mixed use

16155966525_1e50c9b51e_c.jpg

345 State Street project

16155990275_6114ed0dd8_z.jpg

1359 Plainfield Lofts

16154100011_33d93154af_o.jpg

555 Michigan St - 2 buildings, 7800 sf commercial, 24 market rate apartments

15421934804_a456fe6800_c.jpg

601 Michigan St - 18 market rate apartments

16130237566_4ae479617a_o.jpg

New Holland Brewing Co/Mixed use project on West Side

15968597438_67a4b4d677_c.jpg

210 Monroe - The Rowe

16146362701_5e0dcd0cba_c.jpg

Under Construction

240 Ionia

Eastown Flats on Wealthy St

The Lofts on Michigan (616) - 54 market rate, 9700 sf retail

Brownstones in Belknap

Morton House

Arena Place

Klingman's Factory

Southtown Square Mixed use

Clancy Street project in Belknap

Aslan Apts at Seward and 7th

Croswell Mews Condos in Gaslight Village (EGR)

Other projects proposed/underway:

MSU Biotech facility

GVSU Belknap expansion

Hampton Inn - Mid Towne Village

Monroe North hotel

50 Monroe Hotel

Bobville

Midrise at Fulton and Ionia

Movie theater

Waters Building hotel conversion

25 Ottawa renovation

Grand River rapids restoration

I've gotta be missing some...

How is Southtown Square coming along?  That should be on this list too.

Also, not sure if you meant to keep the list within GR city limits, but there's also the Mosaic proposal on Croswell Street in EGR, and the proposal for Downtown Ada.

I added Mosaic. Downtown Ada has not been specific about what exactly will be added. Just a bunch of watercolors at this point. There are other projects like this as well, like the West Side "gateway" by Rockford that has been very vague.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not even sure how this would be accomplished, but apparently there's a plan floating around to put in an infill project at 32 Market (in the parking lot).

I guess there is about 10,000 square feet of lot there. Hope if they do it, they don't cover the facade of 32 Market.

post-2672-0-77107800-1411913362_thumb.jp

• Like 1

Interesting. It would be nice if they did something to the street level of 32 Market (similar to 25 Ottawa)- open up the first floor along Weston. Any other details on the infill project?

Joe

I'm not even sure how this would be accomplished, but apparently there's a plan floating around to put in an infill project at 32 Market (in the parking lot).

I guess there is about 10,000 square feet of lot there. Hope if they do it, they don't cover the facade of 32 Market.

attachicon.gif32 Market Lot.JPG

Interesting. It would be nice if they did something to the street level of 32 Market (similar to 25 Ottawa)- open up the first floor along Weston. Any other details on the infill project?

Joe

Nope, that's all I heard (in a conversation about 25 Ottawa and how it's connected to 32 Market by a skywalk that has been walled off).

http://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapids/index.ssf/2014/10/50_more_homes_in_grand_rapids.html#incart_river

Another one,  I'm pretty sure this is new.  East Hills neighborhood (corner of Cherry and Eastern).  Underground parking I really like the look of it, reminds me of the dense housing stock on Chicago's north end.  Sounds like the neighborhood association has some reservations about facade, and other things. As far as I know the East Hills isn't impossible like Belknapp and SWAN.  Infill like this happening everywhere.  It almost doesn't seem possible for GR not to break that 200k city pop. barrier with all of this infill happening,  the city be getting denser. 

[15227226340_3880347119.jpg

http://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapids/index.ssf/2014/10/50_more_homes_in_grand_rapids.html#incart_river

Another one,  I'm pretty sure this is new.  East Hills neighborhood (corner of Cherry and Eastern).  Underground parking I really like the look of it, reminds me of the dense housing stock on Chicago's north end.  Sounds like the neighborhood association has some reservations about facade, and other things. As far as I know the East Hills isn't impossible like Belknapp and SWAN.  Infill like this happening everywhere.  It almost doesn't seem possible for GR not to break that 200k city pop. barrier with all of this infill happening,  the city be getting denser. 

[15227226340_3880347119.jpg

Already on the list, Cherry and Eastern (both corners). One of these days I'll get back to the list and add pictures.

• 2 weeks later...