Founders Brewing Company Expansions

GRDadof3

Founders is seeking Brownfield incentives for two more expansions that will give them capacity for 900,000 barrels a year. They'll finish this year at about 270,000 barrels. They plan to completely fill in the block (and the city is looking to rebuild the surrounding streets).

http://www.mlive.com/business/west-michigan/index.ssf/2014/09/founders_brewing_expansion.html#incart_river

post-2672-0-59258600-1412128803_thumb.jp

http://grcity.us/design-and-development-services/Economic-Development/Brownfield/BRA%20Agenda%20Packet%2010-2-14.pdf

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I always found it so odd how despite the popularity and success of Founders, not to mention the GR Ballet, and the transit station being right across the street, that so much of the area around it is still pretty shabby. There seems to not have been really any spin-off development especially in the area behind the brewery or to the south.

But anyway, It is completely amazing how that company just keeps on growing. Taking that dilapidated truck garage and turning it into all of this so fast.

I always found it so odd how despite the popularity and success of Founders, not to mention the GR Ballet, and the transit station being right across the street, that so much of the area around it is still pretty shabby. There seems to not have been really any spin-off development especially in the area behind the brewery or to the south.

But anyway, It is completely amazing how that company just keeps on growing. Taking that dilapidated truck garage and turning it into all of this so fast.

Much of that land (which there really isn't that much land) is owned by Wolverine Printing. And the corner of Wealthy and Grandville is Grand Die.

I disagree, I don't think the area around Founders is at all shabby, I think in general it looks very nice.  Custer, Hopson Flats, Central station, the Ballet, and even the Fire house look good. The streetscape looks nice too, and the city is planning more with the Founders expansion.   I would agree that it's surprising that we have not seen more apartments, bars and restaurants given the huge draw of Founders.  I guess the Tin Can, a bar our of Lansing is moving in next to Hopson.  I'm sure more will come, but Dad is right, Wolverine takes up an entire block with it's blank wall.  

What's up with the old Horseshoe building, did that ever take off? 

I disagree, I don't think the area around Founders is at all shabby, I think in general it looks very nice.  Custer, Hopson Flats, Central station, the Ballet, and even the Fire house look good. The streetscape looks nice too, and the city is planning more with the Founders expansion.

I was afraid that I was being too ambiguous when I said that! :^P

I was clumsily talking about the area W and SW of Founders. Especially that strange gas station Pacific Pride(?) that would be an awesome place for an apartment building.

But looking at the map, I see this is going to be part of the expansion anyway, so Doh!

Hopefully this will lead to some great developments happening in that plot of lad between Grandville, Finney, Bartlett, and Wealthy

• 4 weeks later...

It would be nice if the tall part of the addition could have nicer materials than the current metal siding.  The tall windows are nice but its still going to look like an 80' tall factory.  Granted, thats what it is, but in an urban setting it would be a nice touch to add more detail.

It would be nice if the tall part of the addition could have nicer materials than the current metal siding.  The tall windows are nice but its still going to look like an 80' tall factory.  Granted, thats what it is, but in an urban setting it would be a nice touch to add more detail.

So true.  The black and white photo puts the rendering to shame.

I was impressed with the Founders addition until I scrolled down to the old GRBC pic.  Thanks  :ermm:  The sad news is they just don't build them like the used to.  Anyway, still awesome to see Founders fill out that entire block. I think you will be able to see the Founder's Brew Co sign from 131, and that's pretty cool too.

I was impressed with the Founders addition until I scrolled down to the old GRBC pic.  Thanks  :ermm:  The sad news is they just don't build them like the used to.  Anyway, still awesome to see Founders fill out that entire block. I think you will be able to see the Founder's Brew Co sign from 131, and that's pretty cool too.

You really can't build a modern manufacturing facility like the old days, they're actually better TODAY than they were then, and cleaner/better for the environment. Those old factories look great on postcards, but what's not seen in the old pictures is the constant layer of soot in the air from furniture factories spewing unscrubbed burnoff into the downtown and surrounding neighborhoods. Those guys in the picture are probably dumping the byproducts of the brewing process into the storm drains.

But we love to romanticize the past. :)

Urban areas have manufacturing plants. Those plants provide more jobs than an apartment building does.

You really can't build a modern manufacturing facility like the old days, they're actually better TODAY than they were then, and cleaner/better for the environment. Those old factories look great on postcards, but what's not seen in the old pictures is the constant layer of soot in the air from furniture factories spewing unscrubbed burnoff into the downtown and surrounding neighborhoods. Those guys in the picture are probably dumping the byproducts of the brewing process into the storm drains.

But we love to romanticize the past. :)

Urban areas have manufacturing plants. Those plants provide more jobs than an apartment building does.

We all understand that these new buildings are much more efficient, but some of us still pine what was destroyed in urban renewal.  I would think that the Founders development has to be one of the biggest manufacturing expansions in the city limits in a while?   

We all understand that these new buildings are much more efficient, but some of us still pine what was destroyed in urban renewal.  I would think that the Founders development has to be one of the biggest manufacturing expansions in the city limits in a while?   

I know, but to suggest that Founders brewing operations could occupy a building that looks like that, today, is... well... :)  If that building were still standing, it would be interesting to think of what it could have become for sure.

I would think it's the largest expansion in the city in a while. There were some expansions along Oak Industrial Drive when that went Ren Zone. Rapistan/Dematic has had growth and shrinkage. Pridgeon & Clay and Benteler are about the same size they've been for a while.

Thinking of other areas like the old Lear plant on Alpine has a few manufacturers in it (?).  Autodie and GR Spring & Stamping? No expansions that I can think of.

There's a manufacturer on Michigan Street near college that has had quite a few expansions lately. Can't think of the name. Firstronic?

I agree its not realistic to build what GRBC once had, but its not unrealistic to have more brick on the exterior.  That would just help the building blend better in the context of being downtown.

Virtually every building in that neighborhood has metal siding, other than the buildings right on Grandville. Not every neighborhood downtown needs to be Pearl District Lite.

Did some posts disappear from this thread or did I just imagine it?  I was enjoying this discussion but I feel like something is missing.

I don't recall deleting any comments from this thread. The discussion about the new building you mean?

I don't even think the ink has dried on the Brownfield Credits, but Founders is forging ahead and they have even built a parking lot! Behind Wolverine Printing. (when was I here last? Last week?)

15590390020_a3bc962962_z.jpg

15751491336_9fd103c97c_z.jpg

And caged bike parking for employees.

15776759012_5719eab200_z.jpg

• 1 month later...

Archived