Ascent Uptown - 33 stories (3rd and Poplar)

navigator319

So this one is on record as being 335' tall and to include 3,000 sq ft of retail. I really hope the retail embraces the park properly. 

That's really not very much right? 1 restaurant space or 2 cafe/boutique size spaces? I guess with a pretty small site and need for some kind of lobby its understandable but still sounds a little disappointing.

They named the building after the park, there is no chance they don't orient their design toward the park.   

So far, the only parcel tied to this project is the very small corner lot east of the Poplar and 3rd intersection.  That means that unless they expand the footprint, the whole lot is 13000sf.  3000sf is as much retail as you could expect considering everything else that must go to the ground floor.

They named the building after the park, there is no chance they don't orient their design toward the park.   

So far, the only parcel tied to this project is the very small corner lot east of the Poplar and 3rd intersection.  That means that unless they expand the footprint, the whole lot is 13000sf.  3000sf is as much retail as you could expect considering everything else that must go to the ground floor.

The submittal lists two parcels totaling 0.6 acres. Parcel 07301505 & 07301511. 

So this one is on record as being 335' tall and to include 3,000 sq ft of retail. I really hope the retail embraces the park properly. 

Not Bad! That will be just taller than 525 N. Tryon, and about 13 feet taller than Trademark.

The Bearden final approved plans were loaded into Acela. 

Summary:

328' in height

VERY glassy

Rounded corner at Poplar and 3rd

Retail fronting the corner and all along 3rd (aparment lobby front Poplar)

Floors 1-2 retail, 3-11 parking deck (screened with metal panel), 12-31 aparments, 32 is club level with pool

The rear alley becomes part of the building, and the Packard Place parking garage access is now share with the ground-floor internal drive for this tower.

Wow, great height, it'll be almost identical to the TradeMark, and love the layout of the building, when can we see renderings???

The plans look awesome, I can not wait for this thing to get going....combine these cranes with the 300 S Tryon cranes....!!!!!! Awesomeness

Edited by Jayvee

VERY glassy is good... At least we know this should be a quality product and not cheapened to stucco. As someone mentioned earlier, given the name it sounds like it should be quality. 

Such a very interesting building! I like that they are making the parking deck so interesting looking as well. It isn't just a blank wall, there are windows and planters, and decorative paneling. I Love it. 

post-17104-0-60640500-1415219214_thumb.p

post-17104-0-66738600-1415219215_thumb.p

post-17104-0-36119900-1415219218_thumb.p

post-17104-0-01869400-1415219221_thumb.p

I would have posted this sooner but my CEO was in my office for the past hour.

It should be noted that the back side facing the east will have a spot for a HUGE mural. Hopefully hornets themed ;-).

Edited by Guest

It should be noted that the back side facing the east will have a spot for a HUGE mural. Hopefully hornets themed ;-).

Absolutely love it, but i dont understand the mural facing east? Won't that be facing down Poplar skewed by the existing garage? Or will it be high enough up that it wont be? Wouldn't it make the most sense to have it on the 3rd or Poplar side?

Edited by Jayvee
  • Like 1

I was able to go into the plans and take out all the levels and random notes and clutter so we can get a better idea of the look without all the noise. The is the backside. I'll post the other side when I have time later.

post-17104-0-47016600-1415220929_thumb.j

post-17104-0-33508800-1415222080_thumb.j

If you download them they are about 4.7mb each.

Edited by Guest

It looks much bigger than slender trademark.

The tip is missing something for me. Maybe an overhang fin. Overall nice infill

Are you sure it isn't an optical illusion?  It is on a smaller footprint than Trademark, and taller, so I'm not sure why it would look fatter unless it is something about the Trademark design that is 'slimming' or else distortion in the rendering. 

I think I like it.  But I am most excited about the greenish hue/glass and the more modern variations in the facade.   I was walking last night to Bearden after voting and my friend was joking that Element looks like it was from a beach in FL.  I told him all the UP boys say the same thing.   (Damned Beige EIFS!)   This is vastly better, in fact it looks like something that should be called Element. 

There is no way the mural is of lumbersexual brooklynites (read this) or Hornets.   It is clearly going to be a Bearden-inspired collage... ok maybe of hornets and beards and trumpets, always trumpets.  

Honestly the bulk of the building is probably nearly identical. Trademark is wider, and longer at the midway point. On the trade street side it stays the same width. On the mint street side it steps up into a much smaller top.

The difference here is the building stays In a consistent silhouette with no set backs. So ultimately you get a building 20 feet taller than Trademark, but same width the entire way up. So yes it'll be bulkier, but it will look great. It is designed to have 4 sides, and the parking deck is not just blank walls, it's a HUGE step in the right direction.

After spending the last hour looking at the designs and taking it all in, I think people are taking this project for granted already. There are a lot of really cool features on this building. Lots of curved lines that are subtle. The balconies in the middle make an S shape from one side of the building to the other and the balconies on the mint street side taper up to a point. It's a far more complex design than it appears when looking at it as a whole. There are subtle Art Deco curves that wrap all sides. I For one am very excited for this project. Plus two floors of retail, woohoo!

I cannot wait for 300 South Tryon, Woodfield at Graham, The Bearden, The Mint, the new Knights Hotel Tower, the redesign of 400 south Tryon parking deck, and the hotel at 300 South Tryon to further change this neighborhood. It'll be unrecognizable.

I will Photoshop it into the skyline tomorrow.

Pardon mistakes this was written on my iPad

Edited by Guest

After spending the last hour looking at the designs and taking it all in, I think people are taking this project for granted already. There are a lot of really cool features on this building. Lots of curved lines that are subtle. The balconies in the middle make an S shape from one side of the building to the other and the balconies on the mint street side taper up to a point. It's a far more complex design than it appears when looking at it as a whole. There are subtle Art Deco curves that wrap all sides. I For one am very excited for this project. Plus two floors of retail, woohoo!

I cannot wait for 300 South Tryon, Woodfield at Graham, The Bearden, The Mint, the new Knights Hotel Tower, the redesign of 400 south Tryon parking deck, and the hotel at 300 South Tryon to further change this neighborhood. It'll be unrecognizable.

I agree with you if for no other reason than the minimal use of EIFS.  The design is not bland and have breathed a sign of relief with it.  The retail facing the park is just great, lets start to hope it gets used in the right way.  I'm not sure it is 2 floors though.  It looks like just the ground floor with a ceiling height of 2 floors.

My only 'issue' possibly only perceived is the massing/proportions, it just looks a little bit off to me.  This can be easily fixed... just add another 8 floors to the top :)

Edited by navigator319