"Bordeaux" LESS than 10 minutes to Bridgestone

AgentNorth

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...

Hello everyone!

I'm new here to Urban Planet. I stumbled upon the site and I am thrilled with the wealth of information. I currently live in the Bordeaux area, near Ashland City highway and Eatons Creek. We have a wonderful subdivision called Jordan Ridge. I love how quiet and multi-cultural it is. Great homes for good prices. I am glad that the Bordeaux area is finally getting some much needed development. I hope it encompasses more than a Waffle House though. Thank you so much for the history lesson. I have lived in this area my whole life and never knew that. I expect great change to come for this area. I, personally, am supporting Loniel Greene for District 1 councilman. I really appreciate his views on controlling gentrfication and bringing businesses (especially small businesses) to our area. I would love to see something similar to the Shoppes on Fatherland in Bordeaux. I think Loniel Greene will be a breath of fresh air and actively promote and lobby our area as the place to invest.

Hello everyone!

I'm new here to Urban Planet. I stumbled upon the site and I am thrilled with the wealth of information. I currently live in the Bordeaux area, near Ashland City highway and Eatons Creek. We have a wonderful subdivision called Jordan Ridge. I love how quiet and multi-cultural it is. Great homes for good prices. I am glad that the Bordeaux area is finally getting some much needed development. I hope it encompasses more than a Waffle House though. Thank you so much for the history lesson. I have lived in this area my whole life and never knew that. I expect great change to come for this area. I, personally, am supporting Loniel Greene for District 1 councilman. I really appreciate his views on controlling gentrfication and bringing businesses (especially small businesses) to our area. I would love to see something similar to the Shoppes on Fatherland in Bordeaux. I think Loniel Greene will be a breath of fresh air and actively promote and lobby our area as the place to invest.

I think something along the lines of bringing that EN retail vibe up north would do wonders, especially for those who hold the views more appropriate for 10-20 years ago.

Welcome to the forum, enjoy your stay. Join us at a meet sometime if you're interested in what's happening with the rest of the city. Saturday, 10am, Provence on Church St in the Library. 

Hello everyone!

Great to hear someone else who also tripped over this site (Aug. 2013).  If you haven't already sniffed it out, AgentNorth and Alpine, the first of whom has posted periodically chunks of meaty stuff in this thread, have knowledge "upmanship" on the northwest sector of the city.  I'd also "listen" carefully to (read) bwithers1 comments, as he really does have a grip-hold on what goes, as far as Metro govt. matters are concerned.

Finally, (as a motor-mouth to a newcomer) I join dmillsphoto to welcome you to the forum.

-==-

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

http://www.tennessean.com/story/news/2015/07/21/cayce-place-transformation-takes-key-step-forward/30483929/

Bordeaux redevelopment plan approved. Landmark approval for nashville neighborhood. Get in why you can.  #4 miles to downtown #riverfront #amazing views

In other business Tuesday, the council also approved a new Bordeaux Redevelopment Plan after hearing from dozens of residents from the historically black neighborhood speak in favor of it. They said they believe it would spur development in an area where it has lagged -- a part of town that was once seen as Nashville's dumping ground.

The plan, also approved Tuesday on a second of three votes, creates a redevelopment district, which will offer guidance and tax-increment financing to help spur new developments, including attracting new residential and commercial projects while also preserving open space.

"This has been a long time coming," said Councilman Lonnell Matthews Jr., who represents the area and sponsored the ordinance. "This is the most significant piece of legislation that we can pass in Bordeaux over the past eight years. This will set the stage for things to come."

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
26 minutes ago, AgentNorth said:

3010 river drive up for auction today the court house. Close to river, 4 miles to downtown. Property site across the way from a Police officer. Great investment in neighborhood.

I would if I could.  Now I'm possibly about to be between jobs come Jan 16, so now I've got to keep on squirreling.  That's great news!
-==-

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I'm originally from Nashville and I lived in Bordeaux from 1975 to 1998.  I left Nashville for the Washington, DC area in 2000.  My parents built a home off Kings Lane between W. Hamilton and Eaton's Creek Rd in 1975.  The neighborhood was a very nice and quite area to live.  The demographic then and still is mostly African American families.  I loved the area because of its proximity to downtown, West End, and other areas, especially Metro Center, where I used to work.  When I graduated from college I purchased a townhome in Bordeaux off of Buena Vista Pike.  It was on the opposite side of Clarksville Pike from where I grew up, but I wanted to remain close to where I worked and the cost of the townhome was approximately $10K cheaper than an identical unit near Hickory Hollow Mall that I considered as well.  Plus there were no HOA fees since it wasn't a true townhouse development, they were duplexes given a different term called zero-lot lines.  So, you actually owned the yard space which was pretty large for a townhome.  I figured being fresh out of college this was a pretty good deal and I wasn't paying rent to somebody else.  I was paying a mortgage and making an investment.  After living there for quite some time, I decided to build my own home, so I purchased a lot on Kings Lane back on the side where I grew up that was part of a new subdivision (non-track homes), that was literally behind where my parents had built their home in the 70's.  Unfortunately, due to a downsizing, I never moved into that home.  With the uncertainty of not knowing where I was going to be working, I simply didn't want to risk moving forward with moving into my custom built home.  Thankfully as my home was being built many people had stopped by peeping at it and my real estate agent and my builder knew they would be able to sell it so they let me out of the contract.  I had already sold my townhome and was living in the Midtown area while the home I was hoping to move into was under construction.  Unfortunately that didn't work out for me.  I was really looking forward to living in that area and in a single detached home.

Growing up in that area was fantastic.  There was very little crime to contend with.  Neighbors knew each other.  There was a strong sense of community and at the time for African Americans in Nashville it was an area to build your dream and be around others like you who shared the same dream and made it happen.  It was an area of town where you saw people who looked like you aspiring to the same goals as you, actually living the dream.  It was the area of town where there was an influx of middle, upper middle and upper income African American families.  Unfortunately because of that demographic it was and probably still to some degree was not looked at by developers for commercial expansion and opportunities.  Davidson County also didn't do the area any favors with the county landfill being in the area for far too long, as well as animal control, the women's prison and other things not favorable to property values.

Given that it sill amazed me that Bordeaux was so underdeveloped then and remained so for such a long time, even today.  While there have been new residential communities to pop up from the Cumberland River out to the Joelton and White's Creek areas, the commercial development has remained stagnant if not nonexistent.  Other than the Kroger shopping center that was built in the 90's north of W. Hamilton on Clarksville Pk. there's been very little commercial development.  And, while long time residents have been against oversized strip malls, I do think the area is lacking in commercial development that would increase the property values in the area.  It would be nice if the area had a shopping center like the Nashville West shopping center.  At the very least it would be nice if Metro Center had some sort of shopping center that the people living in Bordeaux could benefit from.  I also think Bordeaux needs more apartments and townhomes to bring younger people into the area.

I will agree with those who have stated that there are some incredible views of downtown from several vantage points in Bordeaux.  I used to love seeing the skyline as you drive south towards the MLK Bridge.  There's property on the east side of Clarksville Pike behind the Bordeaux Hotel that has absolutely incredible views that would make for a lovely site for townhomes or detached homes built on the scale of a townhome.  I can envision homes with roof top decks so that they have views of the downtown, mid-town, west end, Tennessee State and more.  I used to take pictures from an empty lot on a hill in which you could basically see all of Nashville south of Bordeaux.  It really is an amazing view.  I also believe that the cliffs along the Cumberland River should be developed as well.  It just amazes me that properties like that have not been snatched up and redeveloped.  Back when Nashville had no skyline and Metro Center was a wasteland for the Ford Glass Plant, I could understand it.  But as the skyline grew and the development of Metro Center emerged, I just can't believe that the cliffs along the river didn't attract development.

So, I hope the area right as you cross the MLK Bridge will become more like a village retail and dinning area as you enter into Bordeaux with a consistent look in the style of buildings so that it doesn't look like a hodgepodge of fast food chains.  I'd also like to see the streetscape unified as well with nice light posts, bus stop benches, planters for trees and flowers; and I'd love to see the signage for businesses limited to the buildings or lowered in terms of height.  I think all of that would give the area a cleaner more welcoming appearance and help to revitalize the image of Bordeaux.

Hello Pillowtalk, welcome to the forum.

It is so good to hear from folks like yourself that really appreciate this area.  You've hit it on certain things like the view, that INCREDIBLE view of the city.  There are a lot of rumblings right now with redevelopment of this area, and residents like us need to get involved.  It is a matter of time until what we see right now to dramatically change, hopefully for the better.  Like you, we do not want "fast food row", but instead, a very unique building upon what already exists, and I would like to add on my personal spin of pet friendly everything, something that is dear to my heart but also a fantastic community booster.  What better way to bring people together than to have a cat cafe, or a dog friendly music workshop? We have been here for nine years, and we are starting to see more like minded people like yourself move in, and not "invest" in.  Actual residents who want to make things better.  Check out nashville.gov clarksville pike corridor, there are past artist renderings of the MLK bridge, redeveloped, much like you have described.  I am sure the money was not available at the time. Hopefully that will change too.  I know folks around here are tired of seeing all the money go elsewhere in the city.

• 2 months later...

Another development in this overarching Bordeaux area.  This time it is town homes.  In the past few months there have been at least three other housing subdivisions announced in the Trinity Lane/Clarksville Pike area north and northwest of downtown.  Really starting to take off.  It only makes sense as it is so close the CBD and on many hillsides there are terrific vistas of the city to the south.

http://www.tennessean.com/story/money/real-estate/2016/03/28/northwest-nashville-get-61-townhome-project/82357360/

Archived