AC Hotel on West Main

spartanburgh

I know GDJ has a lot of pull and has done a lot of great things for the Burg, but if he can pull off getting us an AC Marriot then he really is the MAN.

There are exactly 4 of these in the US and a couple aren't ready yet. The towns are NO, KC, Miami, and National Harbor in DC. How we fit into that mix is beyond me but I'm willing to try. These things are super lux!

http://achotels.marriott.com/en/cities/

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know GDJ has a lot of pull and has done a lot of great things for the Burg, but if he can pull off getting us an AC Marriot then he really is the MAN.

There are exactly 4 of these in the US and a couple aren't ready yet. The towns are NO, KC, Miami, and National Harbor in DC. How we fit into that mix is beyond me but I'm willing to try. These things are super lux!

http://achotels.marriott.com/en/cities/

AC seems a bit beyond Spartanburg or anywhere else in South Carolina (sorry Greenville :dunno:). 

While Marriott is one of their brand partners, OTO's most upscale properties carry the Hyatt flag.

I haven't weighed in very much on this thread but I gotta admit this is very exciting.  The west edge of downtown has so much character with the old building and railroad tracks.  I just hope OTO builds something that differs from the "mill look" of GDJ's other downtown buildings but still blends in with the neighborhood.

AC seems a bit beyond Spartanburg or anywhere else in South Carolina (sorry Greenville :dunno:). 

While Marriott is one of their brand partners, OTO's most upscale properties carry the Hyatt flag.

I haven't weighed in very much on this thread but I gotta admit this is very exciting.  The west edge of downtown has so much character with the old building and railroad tracks.  I just hope OTO builds something that differs from the "mill look" of GDJ's other downtown buildings but still blends in with the neighborhood.

There are lots of AC Hotels being built all over the U.S. They just don't show up on their website. The closet is in Asheville. All you have to do is google it. And I'm sorry to tell you that you are wrong. But you are. There have been discussion in the Greenville Forum about a AC Hotel being built on an empty lot on East Washington Street, and that I believe was a year ago, but then was said it was going where the hotel is going on the Greenville News Site as recently as weeks ago. Spartanburg's downtown is going to grow. It's gonna take time. And if it is determined that the new hotel is going to be an AC, then that would be a coup, and I will tip my hat to you. Who knows, Who would think a Hyatt, No a Hyatt Regency, hotel would be in Greenville. Even some in Charlotte wonder about that. You never know.  

According to this article, OTO is headquarted in Spartanburg (which I didn't realize until now). It would stand to reason that they want one of their hotels within walking distance of their offices in 1MS. It also mentions (vaguely) that the hotel concept probably doesn't exist in South Carolina, which would be supportive of the AC Marriott.

If it is an AC Marriott, then that should leave the door wide open for Jimmy Gibbs

to do a limited service hotel behind the current Marriott such as Court Yard, Spring Hill

Suites, Hampton etc. That market would still be underserved.

I agree 100%. Many people that visit the Burg for college events (like homecoming), weddings, high school reunions, holidays, etc. and want to be downtown, are not willing to pay for a high dollar hotel. Last year my wife had some girlfriends visit and I really wish we had a limited service hotel downtown for my escape. Not a snob, but the Village Inn beside Mellow Mushroom was not an option.        

I am optimistic (but certainly not holding my breath) that this growing need will lead to the renovation of either the Village Inn or the other motel adjacent to FedEx. Those are great candidates for a mid-century modern makeover. The Economy Inn and the adjacent shopping center need to be razed, but just bring back the Skillet.

I agree 100%. Many people that visit the Burg for college events (like homecoming), weddings, high school reunions, holidays, etc. and want to be downtown, are not willing to pay for a high dollar hotel. Last year my wife had some girlfriends visit and I really wish we had a limited service hotel downtown for my escape. Not a snob, but the Village Inn beside Mellow Mushroom was not an option.        

• 2 weeks later...

The second reading of the development agreement with OTO was unanimously approved tonight.  I suspect the new Event Rentals building will get moving ASAP, since completion of that dictates when hotel construction can start.  Now that this formality is out of the way, I hope the hotel brand and renderings / site plans will be released soon!

Why not?  I'd like to see something with an "industrial" style (not overdone, of course).  I'd also like to see some bright-color accents, and a good bit of glass.  We need something "different" downtown.  The last thing we need is another faux-historic, bland, tan-and-brown, boring building (1MS, both East Main office bldgs, etc, etc, ad infinitum).

I agree Westsider. Its time for Spartanburg to have more modern buildings with a more diverse

architecture. Although, I am more concerned about all the overhead utility lines and poles that

drape that corner. That will be a real eyesore that is now masked by the trees and shrubs. I

counted 13 utility lines on Daniel Morgan that pass by that site. I hope that getting these

underground is a part of the plan.

Why not?  I'd like to see something with an "industrial" style (not overdone, of course).  I'd also like to see some bright-color accents, and a good bit of glass.  We need something "different" downtown.  The last thing we need is another faux-historic, bland, tan-and-brown, boring building (1MS, both East Main office bldgs, etc, etc, ad infinitum).

I just hope the hotel is not a clone of the other GDJ buildings downtown if you know what I mean.

Well, we don't know for sure it will be an AC.  Plus that KC one is not really downtown and judging by Street View looks to be a renovation (not new construction).  And our Urban Code would prevent that design anyway.  The one planned for Raleigh (though not downtown) looks much better.

Also I agree with you about the unsightly overhead utilities and really hope that they'll be buried, too.

Well, I'm biased because here in Charlotte we have a lot of that style of architecture and I think it looks like crap more often than not. Generally speaking, I think metal looks bad as a type of siding.

I will agree, however, that the GDJ 'style' is getting old. Something different would be fantastic... you'll just never see me get behind anything in the realm of 'modern' architecture.

Yeah, I never really expected something that wild for a project like this.  Like most of us, I'm just desperate for something different. I would prefer it be more QS/1-like than GDJ office building-like, at the least.  I wouldn't mind something similar to this Holiday Inn in DT Charleston (but hopefully with a more active ground floor).

post-24605-0-92474700-1426811599_thumb.j

• 1 month later...

Quick update: the new Event Rentals site has been graded, a construction fence was just put up, and there's a bunch of rebar on site, so I suspect actual building construction will start soon.

I wonder when we'll hear more details about the hotel.  It's been really quiet since the project got approved.  I would think they'd need to start getting parts of the project approved (DRB, etc.) over the next few months, so they can start building immediately upon completion of the Event Rentals building.  I'm getting impatient.  Need more info! :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

It looks like they're about to pour concrete for the Event Rentals foundation.  There was also some utility work going on at the back of the hotel site near the railroad (looked like water lines).

I have to say, I'm a little perplexed at the complete and utter silence on the hotel since the announcement.  We're going on almost 2 months now with zero info.  Can we get a brand? Rendering? Site plan? Size and orientation on the lot? Anything? Bueller?

And if it really is going to be an AC Hotel, OTO has now missed the opportunity to claim it as the first of the brand in SC, because one was just announced for Greenville.  Maybe I'm just impatient because we seem to be in a development lull right now (other than Drayton). I feel like Fall could be really busy, but I need something to tide me over until then.

The AC Marriott for Greenville looks really nice, its a shame that Spartanburg takes forever to make something happen.

In other news, the old Abby's and the 3 story art building across Wall St. have been sold. Both properties will be

totally redeveloped with an upscale steakhouse going in the old Abby's and an undetermined use for the 3 Story art

building. The plan is to fast track this and have both properties operational asap.

The AC Marriott for Greenville looks really nice, its a shame that Spartanburg takes forever to make something happen.

In other news, the old Abby's and the 3 story art building across Wall St. have been sold. Both properties will be

totally redeveloped with an upscale steakhouse going in the old Abby's and an undetermined use for the 3 Story art

building. The plan is to fast track this and have both properties operational asap.

Patience folks!  We're gonna get a hotel but it will take a bit more time to put everything together.  As difficult as it may seem, things don't happen that fast in Greenville either!

Great news about the former Abby's Grille / Cornbread & Caviar and the other building.  Downtown is on a roll.

Archived