New projects on the West Side

GRDadof3

Big news.

616 Development & Rockford Construction partner to buy complex of buildings on Alabama Avenue. 

GRBJ: Developer buys urban property for $1.6M

I love that warehouse facing Alabama. Glad to see 616 doing something with it finally. Seems like GR has reached the point where every last remaining building downtown to be redeveloped will have a project attached to it before the end of this year. This Alabama project actually wasn't the deal I was alluding to in my above post.

Here are the properties that show Hyatt as owning as of yet on the county's website:

14209398461_92377c7ca3_b.jpg

I love that warehouse facing Alabama. Glad to see 616 doing something with it finally. Seems like GR has reached the point where every last remaining building downtown to be redeveloped will have a project attached to it before the end of this year. This Alabama project actually wasn't the deal I was alluding to in my above post.

Here are the properties that show Hyatt as owning as of yet on the county's website:

Jeff,

You are so correct about D-town buildings.  I predict that buildings in the first ring outside the D-town will be next.

The county records have been updated to show that Lofts on Alabama LLC not only owning 420 and 421 Alabama.  But also 448 & 458 1st Street.  They now own the entire NW corner of that block plus the parking lot across the street.  The mailing address for Lofts on Alabama LLC is the same as 616 Development's.

The county records have been updated to show that Lofts on Alabama LLC not only owning 420 and 421 Alabama.  But also 448 & 458 1st Street.  They now own the entire NW corner of that block plus the parking lot across the street.  The mailing address for Lofts on Alabama LLC is the same as 616 Development's.

Yes, it was in the article above that 616 Development (with Rockford Construction) bought the properties.

• 3 months later...

Anyone know what's going on in what looks to be an old gas station on the corner of Bridge and Garfield? I drive by everyday and they have finished demoing the interior, some changes to exterior and pallets of building materials have arrived inside now.

I believe its going to be a small construction company/contractor office. I'll have to check my records this weekend.

http://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapids/index.ssf/2014/09/where_gas_station_is_proposed.html#incart_river

New gas station proposed for west side,  developer needs to residential lots to be rezoned to build.  SWAN APPROVES!   I'd say call Guinness but I'm pretty sure that these are the types of things SWAN likes. 

http://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapids/index.ssf/2014/09/where_gas_station_is_proposed.html#incart_river

New gas station proposed for west side,  developer needs to residential lots to be rezoned to build.  SWAN APPROVES!   I'd say call Guinness but I'm pretty sure that these are the types of things SWAN likes. 

OK, got it.  For those of you keeping score at home:

- Gasoline, cigarettes, bags of chips, and fountain drinks = Yes!

- Young, hip, modern, collegiate, professional, housing = Boo!

OK, got it.  For those of you keeping score at home:

- Gasoline, cigarettes, bags of chips, and fountain drinks = Yes!

- Young, hip, modern, collegiate, professional, housing = Boo!

I guess they have been hurting for a place to get scratch-off lottery tickets.  :ermm:

Strangely they aren't afraid of "traffic, noise, crime, drunkenness, trash and all types of evil from this. Good old SWAN!

• Like 1

http://www.mlive.com/business/west-michigan/index.ssf/2014/09/project_calls_for_85_apartment.html#incart_river

Plans announced  85 more units to the 1000 already in development or under construction.    Plan is to Modify current structure at 420 Alabama, and build new structure across the street at 421 Alabama, if i'm reading it right.   Will SWAN fight this too?    I think this is awesome for the Bridge Street corridor.  It's already started to see a momentum shift,  do you think this and the other projects are enough to boost it to the momentum level seen in the East Hills?

I think Bridge street is the northern boarder of SWAN. And 420/421 Alabama is north of Bridge street.

Here's a snippet from the Brownfield Redevelopment Finance Authority agenda (9-18-14)

"The Developer has met with the West Grand Neighborhood Association and has
received support for the project, and the Economic Development Project Team
reviewed the project at its meeting on September 9, 2014."

Looks like this project is in West Grand.

• 2 weeks later...

For some reason I was under the impression that this area was now part of SWAN from West Grand.   I could be mistaken, it's not hard to confuse me. Perhaps thebeerqueer can shed some light,   Dave am I wrong?

Matt, you're right. When John Ball merged with SWAN, the boundaries were redrawn to extend north all the way to the highway. I don't think the city has the updated information on their website. That being said, the Alabama St project, is clearly a shared interest to both SWAN/JBAN and WGNO and should enhance the area.

• Like 1