New projects on the West Side

GRDadof3

So just the building at Broadway and Bridge will be built then?  The other is just a "serving suggestion"  if you will?  Damn I was dumb enough to hope that both were being included.   :)

Huh? No, the existing building at Broadway and Bridge where the lingerie shop was, is going to be torn down. It will not be included in the development.

Huh? No, the existing building at Broadway and Bridge where the lingerie shop was, is going to be torn down. It will not be included in the development.

Ok sorry I confused myself.  I wasn't talking about the existing structures.  I was talking about both buildings in the rendering.

Is DADs Magic Bus still going to be located there? Haven't heard any mention of that property being bought. Looks big enough where that would have to be included though.

Doesn't appear as though DADD's is moving. All the blue properties show as Bridge Street Gateway, DADD's does not (shows as Franklin and Cheryl Roberts).

post-2672-0-99975700-1412729834_thumb.jp

Although I should add, I don't know whether they plan to purchase DADD's property for this project.

Ok sorry I confused myself.  I wasn't talking about the existing structures.  I was talking about both buildings in the rendering.

Ah. The way they made it sound at the announcement, was that the whole project would be built at once. New Holland just gave them an anchor and the "confidence" to pull the trigger on the project.

Okay this is a completely non-sensical stab at something that does not need to be stabbed...

BUT...

When Hall Street Bakery opened David LaGrand (sp?) said that he wanted their next location to be on the west-side.) In this morning's MLive article about growth on the West Side and the New Holland announcement, I was struck by the last sentence in the article. VanGessel notes that the neighborhood could use a bakery, with the very last sentence being: “Bridge Street Bakery sure has a nice ring to it, doesn’t it?”

Like I said, total stab in the dark and really not all the important, but it did grab my curiosity.

http://www.mlive.com/business/west-michigan/index.ssf/2014/10/rockford_new_holland.html#incart_river

Okay this is a completely non-sensical stab at something that does not need to be stabbed...

BUT...

When Hall Street Bakery opened David LaGrand (sp?) said that he wanted their next location to be on the west-side.) In this morning's MLive article about growth on the West Side and the New Holland announcement, I was struck by the last sentence in the article. VanGessel notes that the neighborhood could use a bakery, with the very last sentence being: “Bridge Street Bakery sure has a nice ring to it, doesn’t it?”

Like I said, total stab in the dark and really not all the important, but it did grab my curiosity.

http://www.mlive.com/business/west-michigan/index.ssf/2014/10/rockford_new_holland.html#incart_river

Nice grab, I completely looked over that nugget. I agree its a stretch but one I'd really like to see.

Or 2 minutes by car, or does that no longer qualify as a neighborhood establishment, especially in the dead of winter?

you are right, that does not qualify as a neighborhood establishment.  we walk to cherry parlor or martha's vinyard but not pinkie's or cakabakery.  it could still draw from the area if there is an abscence but does not immediately serve the neighboorhood.

Edited by jas49503

Or 2 minutes by car, or does that no longer qualify as a neighborhood establishment, especially in the dead of winter?

Arnie's is a neighborhood establishment for the neighborhood that it's located in.

And it's not possible to walk to your car, drive to Arnie's, and walk to the door at Arnie's in two minutes.  It would take you 30 seconds just to get from your car in the parking lot to the entrance.

Arnie's is a neighborhood establishment for the neighborhood that it's located in.

And it's not possible to walk to your car, drive to Arnie's, and walk to the door at Arnie's in two minutes.  It would take you 30 seconds just to get from your car in the parking lot to the entrance.

Sorry, make it 3 minutes.

Sorry, make it 3 minutes.

You'll also wait about 60-120 seconds at the light at Seward and Leonard.  And 10-30 seconds trying to make a left into the Arnie's parking lot.  And it takes at least 60-90 seconds to drive Seward from Bridge to Leonard.  Plus the time it takes to get to Seward if you have to drive on Bridge.  And the time it takes you to walk to your car.  You're up over at least 5 mins now.  

I could have walked to Nantucket, my own neighborhood bakery, and back home in that amount of time. :)

You'll also wait about 60-120 seconds at the light at Seward and Leonard.  And 10-30 seconds trying to make a left into the Arnie's parking lot.  And it takes at least 60-90 seconds to drive Seward from Bridge to Leonard.  Plus the time it takes to get to Seward if you have to drive on Bridge.  And the time it takes you to walk to your car.  You're up over at least 5 mins now.  

I could have walked to Nantucket, my own neighborhood bakery, and back home in that amount of time. :)

Thank you fotoman.

Thank you fotoman.

Next time I'm at my in-laws, I'll make sure I visit the "neighborhood" mall (Rivertown). Maybe also the "neighborhood" Cabela's, but that might be a little far (2 miles vs. 1.5 miles).  

EDIT...Just measured, and actually it's only 1.8 miles to the "neighborhood" Cabela's and 1.2 miles to the "neighborhood" mall.  Even better.  I'm sure I'll be able to get there in two minutes, right?  Especially since the roads in Grandville are 5 lanes instead of three.

Edited by fotoman311

Next time I'm at my in-laws, I'll make sure I visit the "neighborhood" mall (Rivertown). Maybe also the "neighborhood" Cabela's, but that might be a little far (2 miles vs. 1.5 miles).  

EDIT...Just measured, and actually it's only 1.8 miles to the "neighborhood" Cabela's and 1.2 miles to the "neighborhood" mall.  Even better.  I'm sure I'll be able to get there in two minutes, right?  Especially since the roads in Grandville are 5 lanes instead of three.

I agree. The "West Side" is a huge area and I think when Rockford was saying that the West Side needs a good bakery, he was a) referring to a specialty bakery like Wealthy Street Bakery or even Nantucket b) he was referring to the Bridge Street neighborhood, where they are investing a lot of money. Leonard is a long way from Bridge Street, even though it's technically also on the West Side

Illustration. Leonard Street from Bridge is the same distance as Michigan Street and (almost) College. No one would ever say the McDonalds on Michigan Street is in the same neighborhood as the Anchor Bar.

post-2672-0-75525500-1413294585_thumb.jp

And sometimes arcturus, you can take a break from being "anti" everything. Thanks.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...