New Holland Brewing Co - The Knickerbocker Brewpub and Distillery - West Side Gateway Project

GRDadof3

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The big issue with this project IMO is going to be the request to provide NO on-site parking for patrons or the 150 or so employees of New Holland. Especially since it's so far from downtown and any real neighborhood density (other than Union Square). There is a bus route nearby but maybe 5% of the population uses transit, especially to get to the bar (when the bus stops running well before last call).

It also will only provide 11 parking spaces for 36 dwelling units (studios, 1 br, 2 br).

I can hear it now "I love New Holland but there's no where to park!"

Anyone know if the DASH 7 lot by Big Boy/YMCA is open on weekends? That's certainly within easy walking distance.

Parking wasn't a problem for the Cini-Mini.  That's just what I heard.  From a guy my cousins friend works with. 

How did Founders just get around their expansion parking situation? 

Founders actually caught a lot of flack for that and said they will provide a long term parking "solution" soon, whatever that means. The city is also building a lot across Market Avenue and Founders is a lot closer to the wide swath of parking in Heartside. Plus the big bus station across the street, which connects with you basically every route in the Rapid's arsenal. Plus the parking lot they built behind the printing company that is always full.

I just drove by the DASH 7 lot earlier and the gates were open. IF, the city agrees to make it available every weekend, even for a small charge, problem averted. 464 spaces in that lot should suffice, and it's about the same distance from New Holland as Founders lot is from their door.

New Holland as designed will be a destination, not a neighborhood pub. Most of the patrons I imagine will drive from 5 - 10 - 50 miles away. They're certainly not walking there or making multiple transfers to find the right bus there.

http://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapids/index.ssf/2015/01/parking_ramp_city_lots_could_s.html#incart_river

I see they waived the rest of the parking requirements with talk of Rockford building a parking garage in the area.However, someone from MLive asked if the 1 handicap spot would fit with the ADA. I don't have any idea where that comes into play from an approval standpoint.

http://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapids/index.ssf/2015/01/parking_ramp_city_lots_could_s.html#incart_river

I see they waived the rest of the parking requirements with talk of Rockford building a parking garage in the area.However, someone from MLive asked if the 1 handicap spot would fit with the ADA. I don't have any idea where that comes into play from an approval standpoint.

"A parking ramp across Seward" from this project must be where the big gray cube is, where Rockford is suggesting a parking ramp be built? Not a bad idea, especially if they can squeeze some retail into the ground floor on a couple of sides.

16246500632_cc622de39b_o.jpg

16061203699_2083e9b898_o.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Looks like Dadd's Magic Bus is trying to cash in on this New Holland development and the 616 project, and get out of the neighborhood.

http://www.greenridge.com/property/property-list.asp?PRM_OrderBy=preciprocity+asc%2C+pprice+desc&PRM_Location=turner&PRM_Maximum_Price=&PRM_Minimum_Price=&PRM_Minimum_Beds=&PRM_Minimum_baths=&PRM_PropertyTypeCode=COM

407 can be yours for only..........

$1.5 meeeeeellion dollars.

And the lot to the north, 425 can be yours for only......

$1 meeeeeeellion dollars.

I especially like the caption on 425:
"The 1St Photo Is Only A Possible Building Which May Be Built On This Ideal Commercial Property Located Near Bridge St In Downtown Grand Rapids Using Feasibility Studies That Coexist With The Use Of Newly Projected New Holland Brewery & Restaurant Planned For The West Side In 2015."

14053499_1000.jpg

• 1 month later...

I assume for the demo?

I think so, since they wrapped around the entire parcel including the cini-mini. Demo and probably turn right around and start construction of the New Holland portion. It's supposed to be ready in 2016 so it makes sense that they'd be starting now.

I seem to recall they are doing this project in phases? New Holland section first with the residential as a second phase?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Archived