New Holland Brewing Co - The Knickerbocker Brewpub and Distillery - West Side Gateway Project

GRDadof3

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've come around a bit on the "shared street" concept and think it will be interesting with this project in mind.  If there is going to be as much pedestrian foot traffic as I think there is (with customer parking located offsite), it may help giving them room to maneuver rather than cramming them on the sidewalk.  And shared streets aren't revolutionary at all, lots of streets are built that way, in cities that predate cars (especially overseas).  That being said, I'm concerned about Bridge Street traffic, but I don't think it will be a disaster.  People get on MLive and go nuts about the sky falling every time the slightest change in road configuration is announced.  And yet, somehow everyone still manages to get in their cars and get to where they're going.

With the highway just a block away, I imagine traffic will easily find other routes when it has to.

I'm also not sure pedestrian traffic will be very high at the same time as rush hour traffic.  With what's going into the area, the peak times for foot traffic are likely to be around lunch and evening-night.  I'm guessing these are not the times vehicular traffic will be at its peak.  I think it may work well.

To add to that, if I recall, the design plans showed large planters right about where they'd exist in a non-shared-space design, so the pedestrian traffic will likely keep to what were once the sidewalks, the vehicle traffic to the middle, not because they are required to but because visual stimuli encourages it.  Such an arrangement allows for greater versatility than a segregated space while still preserving the order of one.

Edit: Or at least I thought I saw plans.  I can't find them now.  Is my memory failing me?

• 4 weeks later...

Looks like Dadd's Magic Bus is trying to cash in on this New Holland development and the 616 project, and get out of the neighborhood.

http://www.greenridge.com/property/property-list.asp?PRM_OrderBy=preciprocity+asc%2C+pprice+desc&PRM_Location=turner&PRM_Maximum_Price=&PRM_Minimum_Price=&PRM_Minimum_Beds=&PRM_Minimum_baths=&PRM_PropertyTypeCode=COM

407 can be yours for only..........

$1.5 meeeeeellion dollars.

And the lot to the north, 425 can be yours for only......

$1 meeeeeeellion dollars.

I especially like the caption on 425:

"The 1St Photo Is Only A Possible Building Which May Be Built On This Ideal Commercial Property Located Near Bridge St In Downtown Grand Rapids Using Feasibility Studies That Coexist With The Use Of Newly Projected New Holland Brewery & Restaurant Planned For The West Side In 2015."

14053499_1000.jpg

i drove by DADDs today and the for sale signs are gone......

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, thebeerqueer said:

In other great Westside news:

http://www.mlive.com/entertainment/grand-rapids/index.ssf/2015/12/montes_lounge_closing_its_door.html

Where are all of the drunk, confused bros going to go now???

That place was Monte's, then the Establishment, then it went back to Monte's, now a new restaurant. I wonder how long before it goes back to Monte's again? :P

I think until some of these market rate projects start filling up, we're going to see a large turnover of restaurants downtown and near downtown. There are only so many people you can draw from the burbs to eat downtown.  And to the West Side? I think a lot of people are just warming up to the idea that downtown is safe. 

Archived