Baton Rouge Inner Loop

richyb83

^

^I had typed a question that was answered in a post, lol.

But yeah, I kind of wonder if they shut down the hospital to make the price of land cheaper for redevelopment, among other things.

Hopefully they find a way to link this to I-10, seems like without the link it'd partially negate the purpose.

• 3 months later...

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

jpeg?1443104829636Public-private 'inner loop' idea to ease Baton Rouge traffic faces key review on Oct. 20   

Whether an $800 million “inner loop” toll road proposal around Baton Rouge is feasible enough to keep studying will be up for discussion on Oct. 20 by a key state committee.

The longshot plan, which surfaced in January, is called the Baton Rouge Urban Renewal and Mobility Plan, or BUMP.

It would link interstates 10, 12 and 110 as well as U. S. 61 and U. S. 190 in a high-speed route around always congested Baton Rouge.

The idea was offered earlier this year by AECOM, a Fortune 500 firm that paid $50,000 to get the process started.

The little-known Louisiana Transportation Authority, which reviews mega project proposals, then authorized the state Department of Transportation and Development to launch an economic feasibility study.

Jeff Burst, project management director for DOTD, said Wednesday that study will be presented to the LTA next month.

“They (LTA) will then deliberate and decide if they believe it is economically feasible project based on the guidelines in the statute,” Burst said.

The nine-member panel can toss out the plan, call for more time to review it or conclude that it should move to the next step, which would be for DOTD to solicit proposals.

Even if proposals are sought, Burst said, it is no guarantee that a loop will happen.

“There are many off ramps, both for the private partners and the LTA,” he said.

The proposal is called a public-private partnership.

That means a private firm -- possibly AECOM -- builds the road, then contracts with the state on how to recoup its costs, plus a profit.

Tolls are envisioned as a key revenue source.

However, like other big road and bridge plans around Baton Rouge this one faces daunting political and financial hurdles.

Part of the criteria on whether the LTA backs the plan includes how local jurisdictions would be affected.

City-parish leaders who have pushed for a full-scale loop around Baton Rouge may view BUMP as the death-knell for any such effort, which has long been plagued by lack of financing and other problems.

Public need is another part of the review, and Baton Rouge area residents often disagree on how and where roads should be improved.

The proposed loop would extend for 23 miles from I-10 near Pecue Lane in East Baton Rouge Parish, along a drastically overhauled Airline Highway and across the U. S. 190 Bridge to a point on I-10 about 4 miles west of the La. 415 interchange in West Baton Rouge Parish.

One of the key features is a redone Airline Highway that includes a four-lane freeway that allows speeds of up to 70 mph.

The economic feasibility study was done by HNTB Corp., a national consulting firm.

“We hired them as our independent advisors as required by the state law and LTA guidelines,” Burst said.

“They don’t say good or bad,” Burst said of the project. “They present findings and answer questions from the LTA, from board members.”

DOTD Secretary Sherri LeBas, a member of the LTA, was out of the state Wednesday and unavailable for comment, according to Rodney Mallett, a spokesman for DOTD.

Robert Schmidt, a Baton Rouge engineer who works for AECOM and is the local contact for the plan, generally declined comment Wednesday on the status of the proposal.

Schmidt noted that, if the plan moves to the next step where DOTD solicits proposals, advertisements would be required rather than simply designating AECOM to do the work.

That advertising process would take at least three months, Burst said.

http://theadvocate.com/news/13524840-98/baton-rouge-inner-loop-faces

If they could add 4 to 6 lanes to Airline and develop it like interstate 610  in Houston it could revitalize Airline Hwy from Mid City to NBR.                    RF_-_Houston_West_Loop_South.1.jpeg

While I would love to see this, I worrdo not believe that this alone will revitalize NBR and Mid City. Most people still do most transportation in SBR and have no need to go North. It does however create a great new airport connection which I could see greatly increasing not just the number of flyers, but also the development around the airport.

I'm not sure if I want to see elevated freeways all over town like that, but I would like to see Airline highway between Sherwood and the old bridge turned into a freeway with feeder roads similar to what you see in some Texas towns.....and a freeway "spur" route out from the Airport extended to the north/central part of East Baton Rouge along with more surface street connections across the Amite river at Hooper and S. Harrel's Ferry.

That would help get commuter traffic off I-12 and it would actually be building infrastructure to accommodate future growth instead of reacting to it for once.   

While I would love to see this, I worrdo not believe that this alone will revitalize NBR and Mid City. Most people still do most transportation in SBR and have no need to go North. It does however create a great new airport connection which I could see greatly increasing not just the number of flyers, but also the development around the airport.

Most of the east-west freight traffic does not go south towards New Orleans...it stays on 12 between Hammond through I-10 in Baton Rouge and towards Lafayette.    The northern route actually makes the most sense to me if the goal is to actually get traffic off I-10 in the city and provide alternative routes in emergencies, which seem to happen way too often in Baton Rouge.   If I'm going.from Florida to Texas, I won't be going south towards New Orleans....and any loop that runs that direction in Baton Rouge would be so far out of the way that it would be worth taking.  

I think the northern portion of the loop along Airline is reactive...meaning it should have happened 20 years ago and we desperately need it today.  Frankly, we don't have much of a choice but to proceed with something similar to the Airline proposal.  

A southern loop out towards Gonzales would be proactive, addressing traffic needs for the future and intentionally building infrastructure ahead of development.   We need some forward thinking like that as well.  

A southern leg would be appropriate for traffic going between New Orleans to Houston....but in theory, the new I-49 corridor would handle some of that.  So our need for a southern loop IMO is currently local.  To fill that demand and to build for future growth along the river, I prefer the idea of a west bank expressway connecting I-10 at Port Allen to the bridge south of Donaldsonville (which is reactive).  From there east of the river a new link could be made to I-10 near the Airline interchange south of Sorrento (which is proactive).  

Reactive measures are not unique to BR. The Dallas North Tollway, President George Bush Turnpike, and to a lesser extent the Sam Rayburn Tollway all needed a 4th lane a long time ago. They started that project earlier this year however many of us are complaining that they should be proactive and add a 5th lane. They aren't of course, and in a few years these roads will be just as bad as they are now.

Long term, I would love to see something like this:

1zqvpki.png

Red is interstate level toll roads. 

I live in an area where my only freeway options are toll roads. Trust me, you don't want this. You need some free alternative routes. Toll roads are nice in addition to the freeways but not when they are your only option. My typical monthly toll bill is around $100 and I still get to sit in traffic.

Reactive measures are not unique to BR. The Dallas North Tollway, President George Bush Turnpike, and to a lesser extent the Sam Rayburn Tollway all needed a 4th lane a long time ago. They started that project earlier this year however many of us are complaining that they should be proactive and add a 5th lane. They aren't of course, and in a few years these roads will be just as bad as they are now.

I live in an area where my only freeway options are toll roads. Trust me, you don't want this. You need some free alternative routes. Toll roads are nice in addition to the freeways but not when they are your only option. My typical monthly toll bill is around $100 and I still get to sit in traffic.

So maybe temporary toll roads? Toll Roads that are only toll roads until the cost paid to build is matched by revenue, mixed in with free routes, and normal toll routes?

Would this system of intercity freeway routes work? Would it help?

Honestly, I think based on the population density and traffic volume it is overkill. I think you're on the right track. I'm not saying none of it should happen but I would limit it. One thing you can do is add express lanes that are tolled to already built freeways. Here they guarantee 50mph flow or you get credited back the cost of the toll. As traffic counts shift through the day so does the price.

Check out http://www.texpresslanes.com , I think that could work. I think airline should have been upgraded 50 years ago.

So maybe temporary toll roads? Toll Roads that are only toll roads until the cost paid to build is matched by revenue, mixed in with free routes, and normal toll routes?

Would this system of intercity freeway routes work? Would it help?

Most tolls are temporary I believe, yet they generally last for 10-20 years.

We don't need tolls, honestly. Was the National Highway System built with tolls?

Most tolls are temporary I believe, yet they generally last for 10-20 years.

We don't need tolls, honestly. Was the National Highway System built with tolls?

You think people in this state are going to favor a 90% income tax? Or large tax increases at that? We're going to need tolls for some of the roads. 

I'm cynical when it comes to tolls eventually being lifted. I look at the CCC bridge in NOLA as the exception and not the norm. The inner loop of this thread would be private investment (read, permament tolls). I think this paticular route is a great upgrade, I wish it were doable as a freeway and not tollway but I think if the tolls were reasonable it would be fine. One thing that must happen is toll tag users should not have to slow down. I drive 75mph through the tolls in Dallas and it bills me just fine. I think Houston tested theirs up to 200mph. There is no reason to have people slow down to 5 or 10 moh to collect a toll from a tag user.

I am sick and tired of the tollway system in Dallas.  I too frequent 121, 190, etc... When you live in northern Dallas suburbia its a necessity to use these freeways, or else you will be riding through an eternity of red lights attempting to get to your destination.  I understand the nature of funding for road projects has changed in this country (obviously).  But I can't believe that riding around town is like paying another bill.  And what choice do I really have?  I hate it.  I know if Texas can't outright build new freeways without the help of private toll authorities, it's doubtful that Louisiana will.  

The Idea of the airline as a freeway is awesome.  And something I have advocated for a long time.  But making it a tollway... ugh.  If there is any other way, fight for that instead.

I am sick and tired of the tollway system in Dallas.  I too frequent 121, 190, etc... When you live in northern Dallas suburbia its a necessity to use these freeways, or else you will be riding through an eternity of red lights attempting to get to your destination.  I understand the nature of funding for road projects has changed in this country (obviously).  But I can't believe that riding around town is like paying another bill.  And what choice do I really have?  I hate it.  I know if Texas can't outright build new freeways without the help of private toll authorities, it's doubtful that Louisiana will.  

The Idea of the airline as a freeway is awesome.  And something I have advocated for a long time.  But making it a tollway... ugh.  If there is any other way, fight for that instead.

I think they can be be built without tolls if the feds come in and build them like they built the others. Adding tolls on top of commuting prices is crazy, IMO.

I think they can be be built without tolls if the feds come in and build them like they built the others. Adding tolls on top of commuting prices is crazy, IMO.

The problem is how are we going to get those dollars? Is there some type of fund we can take from or something like that?

Personally I would prefer a temporary sales tax increase. 

The problem is how are we going to get those dollars? Is there some type of fund we can take from or something like that?

Personally I would prefer a temporary sales tax increase. 

One thing that could be done is raise the gas tax to national average and use it for roads, bridges, Highways/Freeways., and Interstates

One thing that could be done is raise the gas tax to national average and use it for roads, bridges, Highways/Freeways., and Interstates

Political suicide unfortunately.  

I'd like to see gas taxes raised nationally and Corporate Average Fuel Economy regulations imposed on automakers abolished.   It would serve the same purpose but would at least give consumers the opportunity to buy a muscle car or something if they really wanted one...and automakers to offer the products demanded by the marketplace instead of nonsense demanded by the regulatory bodies.   Consumers would still demand fuel efficient vehicles but would at least have the option of owning a more fun vehicle if they are willing to pay the fuel taxes for it.

You also have the complication of capturing tax revenue from electric vehicles.  Usage taxes are too dependent on technology in the automobile that can be easily hacked or changed by the owners.   

• 2 weeks later...

$800 million 'inner loop' idea to ease Baton Rouge traffic faces first key vote Tuesday                    A longshot bid to build an $800 million “inner loop” around Baton Rouge faces its first vote on Tuesday.

The little-known Louisiana Transportation Authority is set to meet tomorrow at 2 p.m. to review an economic feasibility study that was authorized in January.

The panel can reject the plan, gives its OK to move the proposal to the next step or seek more time to review it.

The idea was submitted by AECOM, a worldwide engineering firm that has offices in Baton Rouge and New Orleans.

It is called the Baton Rouge Urban Renewal and Mobility Plan, or BUMP.

The proposal would link interstates 10, 12 and 110 and U. S. 61 and U. S. 190 in a high-speed route around the city.

It would extend 23 miles from I-10 near Pecue Lane in East Baton Rouge Parish, follow an overhauled Airline Highway and proceed across the U. S. 190 Bridge to a point on I-10 about 4 miles west of the La. 415 interchange in West Baton Rouge Parish.

The massive project envisions redoing Airline Highway to include a four-lane freeway with tolls, and speeds of up to 70 mph.

The other route would mirror the current road, include traffic signals and have speed limits of 40 mph.

The unsolicited proposal has sparked interest among Baton Rouge area lawmakers, and they got about $1 million added to the state’s capital improvements budget in 2014 for early planning.

The authority is studying the idea just four days before the Oct. 24 primary, and Baton Rouge traffic and possible solutions have been a recurring topic in legislative and other contests.

BUMP is called a public/private partnership.

That means a private firm -- in this case AECOM -- builds the road and then contracts with the state to recoup its costs, plus a profit.   http://theadvocate.com/news/legislature/13745890-123/800-million-inner-loop-for

Archived