Main at Falls Park Dr

gman430

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 months later...

Five story mixed use building planned for this site by Hughes:

1929A8F0-9797-495D-8CC1-E0E3D3740B48_zps

Phil Hughes is the developer of this proposed building, which would be called, "Falls Park Place."

The first two floors are reserved for retail and restaurant space, while floors three and four would house offices and housing.

The fifth floor would be housing only and include a wrap-around terrace.

The plans also call for a rooftop terrace with a pool and bar.

Source

The "River District" is going to be exploding w growth between Falls Park Place, the Greenville News site, 121 Rhett, District West, and Embassy Suites. Not to mention the recently completed Rivers Edge development, and the slightly further removed Link West End.

The "River District" is going to be exploding w growth between Falls Park Place, the Greenville News site, 121 Rhett, District West, and Embassy Suites. Not to mention the recently completed Rivers Edge development, and the slightly further removed Link West End.

Don't forget these other announced projects near the river:

• Mixed-use building at Main & River
  • Gateway Apartments (puke)
  • 2nd phase at River's Edge
  • Condo building at RiverPlace
  • Future phase at River Walk

• 2 weeks later...

I actually love the design.  Its a nice change of pace from what we have seen lately and it has a very classic, been here a hundred years, will be here another hundred more look.  It seems very fitting for that location as well being right across from the falls and Riverplace.  I was wondering if height might be an issue though being so close to Riverplace.  I am all for height especially in a central district, however because of its scale and smaller footprint, it might look off. If the rest of the development over there has similar height than it would fit right in so now that I think about it, never mind :-) I guess if I had to think of a  reason it wouldn't work there would possibly be that it could take away from the impact of Riverplace's iconic look on the skyline there and that is reaching.  

I'll be interested to see what the DRB has to say about this one. I think a few things could be improved.

I do kind of like it. But like gvegas said it may have an issue with scale. Not that it will take anything away from Riverplace, but by its presence so close to the other buildings next door. I can't say that's going to be an issue though. Cause the building up the street at River and Main Street is practically the same setup. My only issue is that it's got that blank wall on the roof on the south side of the building. Maybe it won't be as blank as I am thinking. Only thing I really see at the moment.

I'll be interested to see what the DRB has to say about this one. I think a few things could be improved.

I do kind of like it. But like gvegas said it may have an issue with scale. Not that it will take anything away from Riverplace, but by its presence so close to the other buildings next door. I can't say that's going to be an issue though. Cause the building up the street at River and Main Street is practically the same setup. My only issue is that it's got that blank wall on the roof on the south side of the building. Maybe it won't be as blank as I am thinking. Only thing I really see at the moment.

^^ I think you are getting at the issue. They need to step back the 3rd floor in order to not dwarf the buildings that house Subway, etc, and then the taller portion will align w the setback of Riverplace. What they do with the large blank wall will be critical as well.

The architectural design is a nice step in the right direction. I like the way this building would fill the vacant space and address pedestrians on Main Street and Falls Park Way. The height on Main is far from problematic at only four or five levels. This is common in many cities with attractive historic districts. Any shorter could lead to disappointment considering the footprint of the lot.

That is an attractive design and I don't think the scale will be any problem.  When I walk down along Main Street it is the two and one story buildings that look out of scale.  The three to five story buildings seem to be the right fit.  

The mix of natural stone, glass, etc will be a good complement to the area.

It would be different if you were building a one or two story building. For one it wouldn't be economically feasible to do so at the prices property goes for down there. And it doesn't matter cause that's not the case. Those buildings were already there. Thus the new should at least try to fit in with the old. Like the building on River and Main. I have a feeling this is what's going to happen here. They are going to have to step back those top three floors.

Archived