222 2nd Ave. South, 25 Stories|305 Feet, 391,000 sq. ft., $100 million

Paramount747

Still needs to go through MDHA design and review committee. Another sub 300 foot office building. A disappointment like Gulch Crossing, and 1201 Demonbreun in regards to height, but beggars cannot be choosers as they say.

Looks like The Bridgestone is our only 400+ footer for a long while unless we get Paramount 747. At least 460 feet will be skyline defining and our 3rd tallest building.

It's difficult to have sculpture in architecture with such a low rise building, but we shall see. I hope this is not just another glass box.

• Like 1

Thanks for posting John. I was getting ready to start the thread and put building height. You beat me to the punch.

As far as the height at that location, I think that is about as tall as they would be allowed to go. I know you wanted something taller, but at least we are getting the somethings, instead of the nothings.

I am fine with the height if we get something like the above picture, but if we have another Gulch Crossings or 1201 Demonbreun, I'll take the surface lot or a nice row of 3-5 story vintage buildings like the ones that used to be there.

I am getting sick of glass boxes, and ESA should know better. Gulch Crossings was just a glass box. There was nothing about that project that showed any imagination or creativity. The same with 1201 Demonbreun.

At least the Sobro will have some curvilinear proponents that will get us "out of the box" Even The Bridgestone was a disappointment. If we did buildings like the Virgin Hotel Rendering, I'll take 15-20 stories instead of 30+.

Edited by Paramount747
  • Like 2

I am fine with the height if we get something like the above picture, but if we have another Gulch Crossings or 1201 Demonbreun, I'll take the surface lot or a nice row of 3-5 story vintage buildings like the ones that used to be there.

Hines does like to use Pickard Chilton as their preferred architecture partner, the same team that gave us The Pinnacle and also some others, such as 1180 Peachtree in Atlanta, 609 Main at Texas in Houston, & 300 North LaSalle in Chicago. 

Hines appears to be capable of some good looking buildings, but the thing that concerns me is that 350k sq.ft. does not seem like a whole lot to justify a name brand architect. I'd expect something more along the lines of 2525 (aka bland but functional). 

LMAO!  We were hoping for something that isn't boxy, and it literally could not be any boxier.  I honestly think that developers see all the other boxes going up right now and they assume that Nashvillians either prefer the box design, or are indifferent to it which allows them to get away with the cheaper less inspired design.  I guess those colored light panels near the base are supposed to trick you into thinking it's not a recycled office tower design from 1974?  If that's a "world class" office building, then my 98 Volvo S70 I drive around is ready for Formula One racing.

Edited by BnaBreaker
  • Like 2

Aw... c'mon!  You guys don't like the alternating sideways crosses?  That's "flair" through intricate design these days.  

Frankly, this is exactly what I expected, as noted with my comment about 2525. However, I am a bit surprised to see that it will be so tall. So is the "podium" base a parking garage like just about all the new office buildings downtown? 

Sorry guys. Looks like another box.

https://www.nashvillepost.com/news/2015/3/3/mdha_approves_design_for_proposed_sobro_tower

OMG

hjfeib1.png

Sorry Michael, but not impressed with the design.

Must admit that it is virtually unnoticeable in this picture.  Is this really a rendering for the building... or for the stage? 

LMAO!  We were hoping for something that isn't boxy, and it literally could not be any boxier.  I honestly think that developers see all the other boxes going up right now and they assume that Nashvillians either prefer the box design, or are indifferent to it which allows them to get away with the cheaper less inspired design.  I guess those colored light panels near the base are supposed to trick you into thinking it's not recycled office tower design from 1974?  If that's a "world class" office building, then my 98 Volvo S70 I drive around is ready for Formula One racing.

Actually... I'd say that's a box ON TOP OF A BOX. 

• Like 2

Must admit that it is virtually unnoticeable in this picture.  Is this really a rendering for the building... or for the stage? 

Actually... I'd say that's a box ON TOP OF A BOX. 

Haha...two for the price of one?!?  What a bargain!!!  And yes, the lower box is, unfortunately all parking garage.  Only one level of underground parking.  Kinda makes you wonder why they went to the trouble at all if it's just one level.

It's 10 stories of parking garage facing the brand-new riverfront park and amphitheatre...lovely. This is worse than 2525, even with it's setback and front parking area. At least 2525 appears to be an actual building built for humans from all approach angles. This is a parking garage with a Cool Springs Special stacked on top. 

• Like 3

Yes, because that drawing gives great indication of the actual look of the building. 

I appreciate that you're trying to be fair and withhold judgement until you gather all the facts.  I do respect that.  But c'mon man, you can't tell me that you look at these renderings and see something other than a box.  All the design elements might not be totally clear, but it's enough that you can make out the general shape of the building.

I don't know if I've ever been more disappointed with a proposal.  I don't mean to be disrespectful, because I appreciate what Mr. Hayes has done for the community, but seriously, can this city recruit some architects for once that know what they're doing and have experience beyond suburban office parks?  This lazy box thing is getting old really fast.

Text%201.png

Edited by BnaBreaker
  • Like 2

Yes, because that drawing gives great indication of the actual look of the building. 

Not hard to imagine what a parking garage looks like. From the street no one will even notice that there's an office building somewhere up there, especially with the setback on the 1st Avenue side.

• Like 1

LMAO!  We were hoping for something that isn't boxy, and it literally could not be any boxier.  I honestly think that developers see all the other boxes going up right now and they assume that Nashvillians either prefer the box design, or are indifferent to it which allows them to get away with the cheaper less inspired design.  I guess those colored light panels near the base are supposed to trick you into thinking it's not a recycled office tower design from 1974?  If that's a "world class" office building, then my 98 Volvo S70 I drive around is ready for Formula One racing.

Developers want to do a Chrysler Building with each of their developments, but not if they lose their house developing it. Return on investment is the most important aspect to any development, and the cost to build a building has the largest impact on that return on investment. 

Is this my favorite design? No, but I am glad a parking lot will be replaced. 

I mean I'm seriously pissed about this building. Hayes waited 13 years just to build this? If it was one block back from 1st avenue, well, whatever. But now the field of view from people and concert goers in the new park will be overwhelmingly filled not with The Sobro, or the new Bridgestone tower, but with a freaking parking garage! And MDHA just approved this without question!?

• Like 2

Developers want to do a Chrysler Building with each of their developments, but not if they lose their house developing it. Return on investment is the most important aspect to any development, and the cost to build a building has the largest impact on that return on investment. 

Is this my favorite design? No, but I am glad a parking lot will be replaced. 

And this attitude is part of the reason why we never get more, in my opinion.  You're a nicer, better man than me, and I appreciate the fact that you're trying to stick up for the designer.  Michael seems like a wonderful guy and he deserves respect.  But when folks maintain this whole 'oh well, at least we're getting some development, they have to make money on it' attitude, as if we're starving for any development we can get like we're 1970's Detroit, of course they're never going to spend more than one business day on a design!  Obviously they have to make money on it, but there is SO MUCH GRAY AREA between a world class, 1,000 foot, art deco masterpiece like the Chrysler Building, and this.  You don't have to break the bank to add some sort of visual interest.  Nobody is asking for the world here...just...something beyond completely and totally forgettable would be great, particularly for such a highly visible, prominent spot as this!

Edited by BnaBreaker
  • Like 2