Brooklyn Village Redevelopment in 2nd Ward

atlrvr

I cant wait for the top floor to go in on the Embassy Suites so I don't have that super bright outdoor NASCAR TV lighting up my bedroom all night long.

Do you live in Skye I gather? That would suck.

Edited by Guest

I do, and it has been a PITA, but the display is half covered now and once they put the roof deck up it will be gone.

I have never understood why NASCAR runs that thing all night long when nobody is around to look at it.

Edited by zaxcom

I do, and it has been a PITA, but the display is half covered now and once they put the roof deck up it will be gone.

I have never understood why NASCAR runs that thing all night long when nobody is around to look at it.

For the homeless to watch?

Maybe they are trying to reach out to a new demographic amid declining sales.

Maybe they are trying to reach out to a new demographic amid declining sales.

Speaking of which I saw Nascar Hall of Fame on American Restoration on History Channel 

http://www.history.com/shows/american-restoration/videos/nascar-hall-of-fame-glory-road

Apparently they were also on American Pickers. Also on History Channel

Well, we figured it wouldn't take long, but you can now kiss the Actor's Theater goodbye. Profitt Dixon plans to build a 100-150 unit apartment building with ground floor retail on the less than 1 acre lot. Between 6-10 stories tall. 

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/blog/real_estate/2015/07/exclusiveapartment-firm-under-contract-to-buy.html

Let's be clear, they are doing this to keep the price down on the city-owned land that wraps it.  Now that they control Actor's Theatre, they will bid city parcel, knowing that the "crescent shaped" land that wraps behind it would be useless to any other developer."  This will be a much bigger project than 100-150 units, though I doubt taller than 10 stories.  I prefer 8-10 stories as opposed to high rise.  I suspect they keep/expand retail component.

Actor's Theatre will find a new home it seems, which is right for a theatre.  This was the home of Reliable Music for 20+ years, far longer than the theatre has been there.

• Like 2

The new Carolina Theater will not be suitable for the kind of shows Actor's Theater does - CT will really be more of a presentation/lecture/small performance stage. 

They might be able to make use of the old CAST space next to Amelie's in NoDa, but that's smaller than their current facility. 

Now maybe they could get with Crescent Resources and have a new theater built in one of the new mega projects....

• Like 1

Let's be clear, they are doing this to keep the price down on the city-owned land that wraps it.  Now that they control Actor's Theatre, they will bid city parcel, knowing that the "crescent shaped" land that wraps behind it would be useless to any other developer."  This will be a much bigger project than 100-150 units, though I doubt taller than 10 stories.  I prefer 8-10 stories as opposed to high rise.  I suspect they keep/expand retail component.

Actor's Theatre will find a new home it seems, which is right for a theatre.  This was the home of Reliable Music for 20+ years, far longer than the theatre has been there.

Ahh that explains my first thought when I saw how small the project was.  Now it makes sense, although they presumably could flip the land if another buyer wins the city parcel (or partner) as they are rather silly parcels to develop independently. 

I might be wrong but couldn't the shows the Actor's Theatre put on be staged in the refurbished Carolina Theatre or the neighborhood theater in NoDa

Carolina Theater has lost its backstage (think alleyway next to parking deck entrance of Hearst), so it is not that suitable for plays unless they work around that problem.  It is the major reason it was passed over for past renovation as an actual theater, and perfect instead for a lecture hall or very specific types of events with no need for an illusion or props or whatever. 

The underutilized Booth Playhouse on the second level of Founder's Hall behind the Belk Theatre which was built for the defunct Charlotte Repertory Theatre (also Charlotte's only Equity theatre group at the time) could also be an option, at least until a permanent dedicated space is found or constructed.  ATC would probably prefer a more intimate space, especially one that can be reconfigured to accommodate different seating arrangements, and I'm not sure they would want to rent space from BPAC long-term, but the Booth does at least have a large enough stage and enough room backstage for ATC's productions, something venues like the McGlohon Theatre and Duke Energy Theatre at Spirit Square and the old CAST space in NoDa do not.  Ideally, I would love to see an old building re-purposed as I think that fits ATC's mission of staging "bold and innovative works" by up-and-coming playwrights much better than a new theater Uptown.

The underutilized Booth Playhouse on the second level of Founder's Hall behind the Belk Theater which was built for the defunct Charlotte Repertory Theatre (also Charlotte's only Equity theatre group at the time) could also be an option, at least until a permanent dedicated space is found or constructed.  ATC would probably prefer a more intimate space, especially one that can be reconfigured to accommodate different seating arrangements, and I'm not sure they would want to rent space from BPAC long-term, but the Booth does at least have a large enough stage and enough room backstage for ATC's productions, something venues like the McGlohon Theater and Duke Energy Theater at Spirit Square and the old CAST space in NoDa do not. 

Per Ely's article in the Observer (http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/business/biz-columns-blogs/development/article29184550.html):

Dan Shoemaker, executive director of the Actor’s Theatre, said the group’s lease runs through next June. The Actor’s Theatre is searching for more space in uptown and South End, Shoemaker said.

“Even before we were aware of the sale of the building, we were looking for larger space,” he said. “This has just kind of sped up that process.”

Edited by cltcane

Well, we figured it wouldn't take long, but you can now kiss the Actor's Theater goodbye. Profitt Dixon plans to build a 100-150 unit apartment building with ground floor retail on the less than 1 acre lot. Between 6-10 stories tall. 

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/blog/real_estate/2015/07/exclusiveapartment-firm-under-contract-to-buy.html

Even though I am ultimately bummed out that this is going to take place, Dan Shoemaker's comments are reassuring that they were looking for a bigger, better space anyway.