Independence Center & Marriott Renovation

CLTProductions

Welllllllllllllllllllllllll this is certainly interesting...This was filed on Accela today for 101 N Tryon:

101 Tryon Atrium
remove atrium. add store fronts and urban plaza

The possiblity of this happening was discussed before, but this certainly adds some weight. I would LOVE to see this as a Hearst style plaza is INFINITELY better than how this is now.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From Accela today:

101 Tryon Atrium

^^^ This ties with what was suggested by the sellers of 101 N Tryon.  The atrium between the office building and the Marriott will go away.....in theory, a residential tower is being marketed for the existing horrible cage looking parking deck fronting Church St, which would have access now directly to the square once this gets opened up....very cool.

Edit:  Great minds think alike Jayvee?

From Accela today:

^^^ This ties with what was suggested by the sellers of 101 N Tryon.  The atrium between the office building and the Marriott will go away.....in theory, a residential tower is being marketed for the existing horrible cage looking parking deck fronting Church St, which would have access now directly to the square once this gets opened up....very cool.

Edit:  Great minds think alike Jayvee?

This is certainly awesome but I am way more interested in what Crescent put up today ;)

Welllllllllllllllllllllllll this is certainly interesting...This was filed on Accela today for 101 N Tryon:

101 Tryon Atrium

The possiblity of this happening was discussed before, but this certainly adds some weight. I would LOVE to see this as a Hearst style plaza is INFINITELY better than how this is now.

Praise Jesus for store fronts.

That is awesome!  

Here is hoping the Marriott renovation will attempt to do something to improve the Church St side of their building

Regardless, a residential tower in place of the the ramp and ugly parking deck with a connector plaza to The Square (and incidentally right at the Tryon station of the streetcar) lined with retail will be a massive improvement here.  I generally avoid walking up Church street on this block, but this alone would transform the whole block.  

RK080200.JPG

Can I ask a stupid question (again?)

What is the significance of being in Accela? That means its ready to be built ASAP?

Whereas permitting is the stage, generally, where they are within a few months of getting started on development?

I wonder how much sq. ft. Of retail we could expect or should my expectations be restaraunt?

That is awesome!  

Here is hoping the Marriott renovation will attempt to do something to improve the Church St side of their building

Regardless, a residential tower in place of the the ramp and ugly parking deck with a connector plaza to The Square (and incidentally right at the Tryon station of the streetcar) lined with retail will be a massive improvement here.  I generally avoid walking up Church street on this block, but this alone would transform the whole block.  

RK080200.JPG

Isn't that parking garage part of Ivey's?  I recall that Marriott / Independence parking is the next left after that, down the ramp, under those two buildings.  

There is a pad for an office building at the back of Independence Center.  I've seen renderings of what the proposed building was to look like when the project was proposed in the 1980s (it was pretty awful--imagine a 60-story version of the current 22-story office building that would fill in the sharp edge of the V-shape on the back side of the current tower).  At the time, developers were hoping that NCNB (now Bank of America) would be their anchor tenant.  

101 Tryon Atrium

This may be the best news I've heard for uptown in a while. Opening up that atrium - especially if they can tie it into the rest of that mall area that connects to the Iveys building - would be amazing for peds. The retail space there would be more accessible to the average pedestrian in the same way that Brevard Ct does (albeit with significantly less character).

Cutters Cigar bar in the Center City Marriott is closing in April to make way for the hotel's renovation. It will not reopen. Not sure what the plans are for that space (or others).

This is part of the renovation at 101 Independence, correct?

If so, that seems to suggest this retail conversion is more than just talk and fairly advanced in the game

• 3 weeks later...

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/blog/real_estate/2015/03/sources-cornerstone-under-contract-to-purchase.html

Cornerstone under contract to buy 101 Independence Center.

As we have previously discussed, "Cornerstone plans to pursue a suggested development opportunity at the property and remove the atrium connecting 101 Independence Center to the Charlotte Marriott Center City next door. That move would allow each property owner to add retail space along the sides of the buildings, creating a plaza that leads back to a potential high-rise residential site."

• 1 month later...

This. Is. Going. To. Be. Awesome. LOVE all the rooftops/patios

Marriott Center City Charlotte
There are a variety projects on the hotel.On the 18th floor the existing concierge will be demolished and prepared for being upfit to three new guest rooms. On the 6th floor a new slab will be built in the open space above the existing pool and prepared for being upfit to two new guest rooms. On the 5th floor the existing pool will be filled in. The existing fitness room will be demolished. Five new guestrooms will be prepared for upfit. A new fitness room will be built in the space.On the 4th floor (main mechanical level) new air handlers will replace the existing ones. On the third floor (Ballroom level) three entrances to the ballooms will be demolished and new storefront built. A new exterior window will be built on SE wall facing towards Tryon St. The floor opening will be reconfigured and a new exterior wall and roof top patio will be built facing East into what is currently the glass covered connector to the Independence Center. On the second floor the stair at the SE corner of the building will be transferred in a new horizontal exit to a new stair going down to the first floor Porte-Cohere. The second floor offices will be remodeled to accommodate the new exit. On the first floor a large portion of the existing lobby and restaurants will be demolished. The kitchen will be partially remodeled and new kitchen equipment installed, including an open kitchen with a solid fuel oven. A new check-in area and back of house office space, a new bar and a new coffee shop will be built. At the existing glassed connector to the Independence Center (which will be demolished and converted to an outdoor plaza by the neighboring owner) we will be building a new exterior wall to enclose the Marriott’s lobby space. The portion of the Marriott that extends into the plaza will be built as a one story space up to the 3rd floor and covered with a roof top patio. The new wall treatment will extend around the SE corner of the building and continue along Trade Street in the area currently used by the Champions restaurant. The main entrance to the lobby at the porte-cochere will be demolished and rebuilt with a glazed wall system and sliding doors. In the first parking level we are installing new mechanical equipment to serve the kitchen equipment on the 1st floor and a new cooler. The stair that is being transferred on the 2nd floor is also transferred at this level to a new stair up to the 1st floor porte-cochere.

This. Is. Going. To. Be. Awesome. LOVE all the rooftops/patios

Marriott Center City Charlotte

There are a variety projects on the hotel.On the 18th floor the existing concierge will be demolished and prepared for being upfit to three new guest rooms. On the 6th floor a new slab will be built in the open space above the existing pool and prepared for being upfit to two new guest rooms. On the 5th floor the existing pool will be filled in. The existing fitness room will be demolished. Five new guestrooms will be prepared for upfit. A new fitness room will be built in the space.On the 4th floor (main mechanical level) new air handlers will replace the existing ones. On the third floor (Ballroom level) three entrances to the ballooms will be demolished and new storefront built. A new exterior window will be built on SE wall facing towards Tryon St. The floor opening will be reconfigured and a new exterior wall and roof top patio will be built facing East into what is currently the glass covered connector to the Independence Center. On the second floor the stair at the SE corner of the building will be transferred in a new horizontal exit to a new stair going down to the first floor Porte-Cohere. The second floor offices will be remodeled to accommodate the new exit. On the first floor a large portion of the existing lobby and restaurants will be demolished. The kitchen will be partially remodeled and new kitchen equipment installed, including an open kitchen with a solid fuel oven. A new check-in area and back of house office space, a new bar and a new coffee shop will be built. At the existing glassed connector to the Independence Center (which will be demolished and converted to an outdoor plaza by the neighboring owner) we will be building a new exterior wall to enclose the Marriott’s lobby space. The portion of the Marriott that extends into the plaza will be built as a one story space up to the 3rd floor and covered with a roof top patio. The new wall treatment will extend around the SE corner of the building and continue along Trade Street in the area currently used by the Champions restaurant. The main entrance to the lobby at the porte-cochere will be demolished and rebuilt with a glazed wall system and sliding doors. In the first parking level we are installing new mechanical equipment to serve the kitchen equipment on the 1st floor and a new cooler. The stair that is being transferred on the 2nd floor is also transferred at this level to a new stair up to the 1st floor porte-cochere.

Sounds pretty good, but am I correct that they are getting rid of the pool? That kind of sucks. Not that I've used a indoor hotel pool in the past decade or so.

Just a day after they filed the UMUD, Marriott already has a site inspection on the books. This should be getting going VERY quickly.

I am pretty excited about this project and it almost confirms that the Independence Plaza will be happening very soon as well. I wonder if our pals Ely, Jeff or Katie could dig up some renderings ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Some Marriott news:

• Renovations are currently underway with the rooms
  • Entire renovation "projected" to be done by December
  • Plans have not been finalized for the ground floor, but it will be VERY open and have a restaurant, bar concept and possible retail
  • Marriott land owners and Independence land owners are currently in dispute over a few things and is causing a delay in the corridor renovation (and plan finalization for Marriott)
  • Marriott is VERY interested in continuing to expand its brand uptown and wants to bring a JW here (looking into both Crescent projects). This part was speculation based on some chatter, but it makes sense, said they to blow competition out of the water in luxury between the Ritz and a JW.

Marriott is taking down the Champions sign. Not sad to see this place go haha. I hope the new bar concept at Marriott is awesome.

I apologize I have no idea why my pics won't go right side up

When the Champions opened early 2000's i believe)...it was one of the few decent places to watch a bunch of football games uptown. There were no real sports bars uptown. 

Archived