Independence Center & Marriott Renovation

CLTProductions

• 3 weeks later...

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm much more impressed by the site plan than the actual space, which still looks like a giant lobby - they've just jammed a cosmopolitan restaurant into one side. The exterior space looks much more interesting and potentially active now, though. Big improvement over the big lot of nothing that's there now.

However, that plan shows the lobby for Northeastern as being available (the yellow space). It also shows the interior corridor space and tin tin as being one contiguous retail space (in peach), potentially eliminating the existing interior connection to Iveys. 

Edit: the ground perspective photos show a big glass canopy over the main building entrance, which is critical to that giant curtain wall more inviting and less cold, but the bird's eye view doesn't show the canopy. Hmm..

I'm much more impressed by the site plan than the actual space, which still looks like a giant lobby - they've just jammed a cosmopolitan restaurant into one side. The exterior space looks much more interesting and potentially active now, though. Big improvement over the big lot of nothing that's there now.

However, that plan shows the lobby for Northeastern as being available (the yellow space). It also shows the interior corridor space and tin tin as being one contiguous retail space (in peach), potentially eliminating the existing interior connection to Iveys. 

I need to double check but I am fairly certain that interior connection to Ivey's is going away....

I love any proposal to convert a lobby into retail space. The architecture is complimentary to the building itself. I'm indifferent about it - but it will still be a huge upgrade compared to what's there today. 

I have some concerns about the site plan. First, they are dramatically reducing the plaza space on the Square. Historically, buildings on all four corners didn't allow for any plaza space, but it seemed like the idea was to create the plaza space over time, so it's disappointing to see that go. I also don't care for the weird alley space they are creating on the left side of the renderings. I'm not convinced that space will be used in the way that rendering suggests.

Still, it's an overall improvement. I'm also starting to move towards the camp that thinks we need more actual retail on Tryon Street. Restaurants are great - we just need more shops. Seems to me that the current Northeastern University lobby space would be a good opportunity. I really like that they are converting the other entry way into the "mall" into retail space as well.

The space between the two buildings will most likely be the ped entrance to the tower that can be built behind the exisistng buildings

And we should be expecting something to happen with that sooner rather than later.  This corridor empties to a ramp to get into the garage, something will change that.

• 9 months later...
8 hours ago, Jayvee said:

The Marriott renovations are finally done! And wow wow wow. I.....uh the agenda tried to do them justice but they have to be seen to be believed. Some serious big city stuff here. https://www.charlotteagenda.com/63067/marriott-city-center-set-new-standard-uptown/

Took a coffee break to go check it out, and I totally agree, way more impressive in person than I expected. Very cool stuff, and a great coffee shop

44 minutes ago, tozmervo said:

Took a coffee break to go check it out, and I totally agree, way more impressive in person than I expected. Very cool stuff, and a great coffee shop

Its got the Toz Stamp of Approval! Thats like a James Beard!

Archived