Northpointe mixed use development.

gman430

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah jet-set that picture was a little off to me as well. A lot of times it's supposed to show a representation of what's supposed to be there. But this one wasn't there. As for the roofs, well I think they're supposed to match the roofline of the buildings across church street. I'm hoping there can be some changes to those also.

That site plan picture looks awful. And who skewed it so that it wouldn't orient with the aerial photo? 

Hoping they get rid of the gabled roofs too.

That's what happens when you forcibly constrain a vertically oriented picture into a horizontally oriented space. If you click on the "Masterplan" link, you will see the plan both larger AND undistorted.

I like the plan, and think the gabled roofs are a refreshing change from the bare box architecture we've been seeing go up everywhere lately. I also like seeing the odd angled intersection of Wade Hampton and Stone Ave being fixed.

Well I'm really not a fan of the gabled look. When its in. Its in. But when its out. Well.... We don't want to talk about that. I also agree that boxed look is getting a little over done. Just wish they could be a little more imaginative. there needs to be something there with real staying power. Because we all know how short our attention spans are.

The boxy look is nothing out of the ordinary or just a Greenville thing. Take a look at other cities (Charlotte, Atlanta, Raleigh, etc) with apartment mid rises (4-10 stories) under construction and you will see the exact same thing.

Edited by gman430

Why are so many "center city" grocery stores needed?  The downtown Publix has enough business and is popular, but it's not mobbed 24/7.

If anything, downtown-ish neighborhoods need a Target or Walmart/Neighborhood Market.  I grew up being dragged to Sears at the Northpointe site and it always did fine.

Edited by mallguy

The boxy look is nothing out of the ordinary or just a Greenville thing. Take a look at other cities (Charlotte, Atlanta, Raleigh, etc) with apartment mid rises (4-10 stories) under construction and you will see the exact same thing.

You are so right about that. That's why I said it. I noticed that in the new apartments being built on Laurens road. They look good. But overkill. Let's start seeing more out of the box thinking.

Why are so many "center city" grocery stores needed? The downtown Publix has enough business and is popular, but it's not mobbed 24/7.

If anything, downtown-ish neighborhoods need a Target or Walmart/Neighborhood Market. I grew up being dragged to Sears at the Northpointe site and it always did fine.

So many? There is currently only one. :huh: The one proposed for Augusta Road isn't even downtown. I live downtown and shop at that Publix. It's always packed every time I go so I welcome the competition with Harris Teeter.

I would also like to see a Target though. Downtown residents would never allow a Walmart so you can throw that idea out the window. Remember Church Street at University Ridge?

Edited by gman430

So many? There is currently only one. :huh: The one proposed for Augusta Road isn't even downtown. I live downtown and shop at that Publix. It's always packed every time I go so I welcome the competition with Harris Teeter.

I would also like to see a Target though. Downtown residents would never allow a Walmart so you can throw that idea out the window. Remember Church Street at University Ridge?

I agree about Target being great for downtown. I may have missed it, but is Walmart Neighborhood Market no longer locating at the Church St/University Ridge development?

Not only is there currently only one grocery store downtown but this doesn't really qualify as "center-city."

I doubt it would be be in competition with the Publix.   It is certainly not in walking distance of  most of the new downtown and West End apartment and condo residents.  It isn't even walkable for most North Main Street folks.  It would be convenient for auto traffic in and out of town on Church Street, Wade Hampton, and Stone/Laurens Roads. 

Which would include me.  I've driven by that spot at least twice a day for years. 

I agree about Target being great for downtown. I may have missed it, but is Walmart Neighborhood Market no longer locating at the Church St/University Ridge development?

That was supposed to have been a Walmart not a WM Neighborhood Market, but it was nixed a long time ago.

I seriously doubt it will be wegman's. That would put them way outside of where any of their other stores are. The odds are that it's either Lowe's or Harris Teeter's. Better yet just go to the site plan. They already gave a hint to who is going supposed to go there.

I missed any hint as to which specific store brand may be built there, but I don't recall seeing the official site plan.

By the way, the store names are:

Wegmans

Lowes Foods

Harris Teeter

Another frequently misspelled store name is ALDI.

Well I am sorry that you didn't see the hint that they gave. But it was kind of givin on the site plan. It appears they removed it for their website. But no problem. I attached it for you. And by the way. thanks a bunch for that tutorial.

North_Point_Flyer__reduced__5_29_151.pdf

Edited by MAJIKMAN

90% sure it's a Harris Teeter. Definitely not Wegmans. And it doesn't look like a setup Lowes stores normally inhabit.

I agree that Harris Teeter seems most likely given the size, but Wegmans better fits the "best-in-class" for "full-service" supermarkets as mentioned in the last article linked above.