Icon on Main (15 stories)

gman430

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

observations:

Too many people are worried about the "skyline" (read: any is too many). In terms of tangible benefits, the "skyline" is only correlated to (not a cause of) to increased activity. Oodles of world-class cities have nary a skyscraper, and are probably the better for it. Making decisions using that as a consideration detracts from actual problems.

the block east of main/south of pendleton (w/ which wich and Cornell Arms) would be a better pure addition, since it's about 75% surface-parking frontage at this point. 

Resurfacing scheduled for Main Street north of Elmwood would have a greater cumulative impact by concentrating development around the CBD/University/Vista making the areas more seamless (a glaring weakness of Columbia's). I can understand that it's less beneficial to residents/tax base/historically underrepresented communities, just putting that out there.

observations:

Too many people are worried about the "skyline" (read: any is too many). In terms of tangible benefits, the "skyline" is only correlated to (not a cause of) to increased activity. Oodles of world-class cities have nary a skyscraper, and are probably the better for it. Making decisions using that as a consideration detracts from actual problems.

the block east of main/south of pendleton (w/ which wich and Cornell Arms) would be a better pure addition, since it's about 75% surface-parking frontage at this point. 

Resurfacing scheduled for Main Street north of Elmwood would have a greater cumulative impact by concentrating development around the CBD/University/Vista making the areas more seamless (a glaring weakness of Columbia's). I can understand that it's less beneficial to residents/tax base/historically underrepresented communities, just putting that out there.

I agree that having a skyline does not make for a great city, but it signals density. Columbia has enough commercial space (for now), but could use a lot more residential high rises to make the CBD more of a mixed use neighborhood. South Main does not need high rises the size of North Main, but midrises are in character for the area, particular with USC's development pattern. I would rather build density on Main and Assembly, however, not Sumter. The College of Education and Byrnes would make taller buildings stand out and overpower the Horseshoe.

As for the area north of Elmwood, I think that area should eventually be developed, but that really stretches out downtown. Considering that almost all of the apartments proposed are student-oriented, I don't see as much of a market for denser development in that area until Columbia Commons develops more.

observations:

I know I was one to chirp in about the skyline benefit, and I still think it will make for a nice view when entering the city from west of the river. I also agree with you in that New Urbanism puts more emphasis on street level activity, and density, than the height of buildings. I totally agree, and Paris is just one example..Washington DC is another. However, it signals health, as in our economy growing bigger/stronger. As a resident, I can appreciate that. Also, even Paris has La Defense, where nary a tourist ever sets foot..but it is the area reserved for modern, "tallish" structures. I think we can have the best of both worlds, but I agree the emphasis needs not drift too far from "density", "walkability", "livability", and all the other words ending in "ility". Good post. I'm excited about the unprecedented number of developments happening simultaneously in my hometown!! 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

A Memphis, Tenn., developer will make its pitch this week to Columbia officials for approval of build a 15-story private dormitory on Main Street, south of the Statehouse and a block from the Horseshoe at the University of South Carolina.

EdR is scheduled to present its plans to the Board of Zoning Appeals on Tuesday morning and follow up with another presentation to the city’s Design/Development Review Commission on Thursday afternoon. 

http://www.columbiabusinessreport.com/news/54463-developer-to-seek-city-ok-for-15-story-student-dorm?rss=0

A Memphis, Tenn., developer’s request to add additional beds for a 15-story private dormitory on a Main Street property has been put on hold for another month.

EdR, meeting with the Board of Zoning Appeals Tuesday morning, deferred its request for added beds per acre until next month’s agenda, as the board sought more detailed information about security and transportation plans, as well as a more specific description of the relationship between the developer and the University of South Carolina.

“I would be interested in actually seeing the security plan and seeing the details to support the things that you’ve told us,” chairman Ernest Cromartie III told EdR representative Rodney King. “That makes me feel more comfortable.”

“I’m not too far removed from my college days,” he added. “Monday through Thursday were pretty tame, but Thursday at 7 from Sunday until after dinner were different.”

Confidentiality reasons kept those details away from Tuesday’s meeting, King said. But they will be made available at the next session, which is planned for June 9. The developer is still scheduled to present EdR’s plans to the city’sDesign/Development Review Commission on Thursday afternoon.

http://www.columbiabusinessreport.com/news/54483-student-dorm-developer-moves-zoning-request-to-next-month-rsquo-s-agenda

A new, 15-story student housing tower planned for south Main Street has a name: Icon on Main.

Memphis-based private student housing developer Education Realty Operating Partnership in documents filed with the city of Columbia said it chose the name because it is the first new tower to be built on south Main in many years.

“It will exemplify the type of downtown urban density Columbia is seeking to attract,” it said in the documents.

I like the name Icon on Main  its fitting.

• 3 weeks later...

Two interesting articles about development on Main Street:

- Retailers have seen an uptick in business from The Hub (no surprise)

http://columbiabusinessreport.com/news/54734-the-hub-proves-to-be-a-positive-for-downtown

- USC does not like the height of the proposed building on South Main, but it received initial approval anyway

http://columbiabusinessreport.com/news/54738-despite-usc-opposition-developer-gets-zoning-approval-for-15-story-dorm

On one hand, I don't want USC building higher than 3-4 stories because that starts to make the campus feel overly urban and impersonal. On the other hand, I don't mind higher dorms on Main Street as a continuation of the skyline. With the University of SC Tower going up on Assembly (eventually), downtown will start to move south. Of course it will stop north of Greene Street because the University owns all of that land.

Now USC is voicing an objection to the height of "Icon on Main". The renderings came out about a month ago, so I wonder why it has taken so long for them to register a complaint. I'm not sure whether they are correct. I think that building could be placed anywhere else in the city, with no problem, but the fact it is so close to the Horseshoe, seems to present an issue.

Well, there are no "do-overs", so I hope all interested parties do their due diligence. 

Now USC is voicing an objection to the height of "Icon on Main". The renderings came out about a month ago, so I wonder why it has taken so long for them to register a complaint. I'm not sure whether they are correct. I think that building could be placed anywhere else in the city, with no problem, but the fact it is so close to the Horseshoe, seems to present an issue.

Well, there are no "do-overs", so I hope all interested parties do their due diligence. 

I think the university's argument that this project is out of character is absurd. The Cornell Arms apartments two blocks away is 18 stories tall. Another student housing project two blocks away that is proposed at 12 stories didn't seem to bother USC officials. Not to mention the tallest office building in the state at 25 stories is a few blocks to the north on the same road as this project and where all the rest of the city's high-rises exist. Its inevitable that the downtown density and building heights will grow as land becomes scarce and pricier. I don't think the university can pick and choose which projects they want to see developed downtown or not. And I hope the incompetent DDRC doesn't help scuttle another worthy project again for our great city.

Honestly the height of this building and its placement seems to be right for this area. now that South Columbia is starting to grow now I think its about right ot have such building there. to saw that its out of place is just USC saying that they are not sure if they want it or not.

for them to make an excuse as it being too close to the horseshoe when they have multiple towers within closer proximity of the Horseshoe is a horrible excuse/ I seen too many Universities that have towers and student housing densely clustered upon each other. I think the main issue here is the parking issue they will face from building this tower. I think with less beds and better parking or Underground/Above ground parking can solve the problem.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, the developers of the proposed 15 story student apartment building came back to the design review board with a few tweaks to ground level detail, but are not backing down from the university on its height. So now it goes to a vote on July 9.

Exactly what are the height restrictions within the original grid of the city?  I thought the Vista had height restrictions, but it seems like they don't adhere too strict to them.  Is there a restriction in the horseshoe/capitol area?

They there was a height restriction near the Horseshoe/Capital there wouldn't be 4 10+ story towers around the capital and Horseshoe.

I know the CBD aka where the Capital Building is is the c4 Zone i believe and it has unlimited height. depending on what anyone wants to build. Thats what I've learned when I have a I 1on1 with one of the board members that does zoning for the city. He told me for The Vista the height is based on elevation. for example. the closer to the river the Taller the buildings can be but it has to recess from the street to up its height. that's why if you look at the Innovista original planning the Riverfront property is much higher than the buildings further back closer to Assembly St and the Train track. but say like Downtown Business District where most of the skyline is at now from Gervais to Elmwood. and from Assembly to Parts of bull st. there's no limit on height. or design. 

Now for what they are trying to do with the land on Lady/Park st. Its the city's choice because they made the zones and with anything they can change it. I like some others would love to see a big Apartment Tower there with Lots of Retail on the bottom floor and stuff. But others dont want that. I think a good compromise is to have a slightly less taller building. something around 15 floors with a old villa look to match the Vista's current design. at the same with a modern twist on it. and have a Parking Garage with Retail on the ground level on the Assembly st/Gervais st Side. I think that would be the best plan of action there.

My question though. With the talks of a Entertainment Complex being built between the Convention Centre and Arena how big is the Hotel they are planning to build there is going to be. I wonder if they are talking Tower also something along the line of 15+ stories. and since its in the Innovista District how it would look in design.

My question though. With the talks of a Entertainment Complex being built between the Convention Centre and Arena how big is the Hotel they are planning to build there is going to be. I wonder if they are talking Tower also something along the line of 15+ stories. and since its in the Innovista District how it would look in design.

What entertainment center? Are you talking about building something in the convention center parking lot?

Archived