Towers on Top of Parking Decks

colasc

Well, the State reports plans are in the works for a 29 story apartment tower, to be constructed atop the Lady St. garage. The garage is considered to be 7 stories, and the actual tower will be 22. Interestingly, the article points out that the tallest structure in SC is in Abbeville..ha ha!

We'll see if this can get through all the red tape. It would certainly give the skyline a little boost upwards.

I think Columbia can, and should (where appropriate) go vertical. However, I still think the overall work to be done is creating more mid-rise structures, creating more density, but in an aesthetically appropriate way, and in adding more activity to the sidewalks. 

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, the State reports plans are in the works for a 29 story apartment tower, to be constructed atop the Lady St. garage. The garage is considered to be 7 stories, and the actual tower will be 22. Interestingly, the article points out that the tallest structure in SC is in Abbeville..ha ha!

We'll see if this can get through all the red tape. It would certainly give the skyline a little boost upwards.

I think Columbia can, and should (where appropriate) go vertical. However, I still think the overall work to be done is creating more mid-rise structures, creating more density, but in an aesthetically appropriate way, and in adding more activity to the sidewalks. 

:) Depending on how tall this tower is going to be this could be the tallest in the state. At least I hope.

It's an interesting prospect- I guess this answers our questions about the feasibility. The questions about parking still persist though. If they're aiming for empty nesters, they're going to have cars parked there during business hours. I personally wouldn't move there if I had to fight for parking every day. It might make sense to build a smaller building or open the possibility of students living there.

This building, assuming it gets approval, will essentially look down on the Capital Center. This is a new era for this state. Also, consider there may be at least one additional building of this height constructed in the CBD. In some larger cities, this news would not cause the blink of an eye, but should these projects move forward, they will really change the view one would have driving into town from I-26, or from across the river on Jarvis Klapman. 

I am pleased with the tower(s) announcement, but really want the city to stand firm on height restrictions in the Vista proper. I think the juxtaposition of a tall CBD, adjoining the appropriately scaled Congaree Vista, will be the way to go.

I am pleased with the tower(s) announcement, but really want the city to stand firm on height restrictions in the Vista proper. I think the juxtaposition of a tall CBD, adjoining the appropriately scaled Congaree Vista, will be the way to go.

im guessing you are saying . maybe that proposed tower on the corner of lady and park should be tall but not too tall to kinda slope down from the CBD. kinda like a mountain. the tall in the business district and kinda gradually get shorter towards the Vista to fit the area.

Im not sure if im reading it right but thats what im thinking

Height restrictions are short-sighted, and don't address the twin problems that (1) the market may not bear that sudden glut of housing without attendant economic growth and (2) activity is always always always more important than height. The Vista needs to spread off of Gervais ASAP or else it'll just be an extension of the areas that fail to communicate with one another (e.g. everything in the CBD is massed around main street, everything in the Vista is massed around Gervais, and never the 'twain shall meet).

Nevertheless, there needs to be some kind of height communication between the CBD and the Vista. First, there just isn't enough real estate nearby to provide housing for a (hopefully approaching) busy CBD if it's all being done between 3-5 stories. By my count, there's about 12 vacant/parking lots that would support something at that size, and you have to assume that if economic development takes off, some of those will be commercial instead of residential use. Second, there needs to be an aesthetic step-down between Main Street and the Vista, in the neighborhood of 7 to 10 stories. As it stands now the CBD is so insular that it looks like you'd be driving into a citadel. If you're thinking in terms of height, there needs to be a communication between the edge of the CBD and the edge of the Vista, or else there's a psychological disconnect between the two that might as well make Assembly Street a moat.

Height restrictions are short-sighted, and don't address the twin problems that (1) the market may not bear that sudden glut of housing without attendant economic growth and (2) activity is always always always more important than height. The Vista needs to spread off of Gervais ASAP or else it'll just be an extension of the areas that fail to communicate with one another (e.g. everything in the CBD is massed around main street, everything in the Vista is massed around Gervais, and never the 'twain shall meet).

Nevertheless, there needs to be some kind of height communication between the CBD and the Vista. First, there just isn't enough real estate nearby to provide housing for a (hopefully approaching) busy CBD if it's all being done between 3-5 stories. By my count, there's about 12 vacant/parking lots that would support something at that size, and you have to assume that if economic development takes off, some of those will be commercial instead of residential use. Second, there needs to be an aesthetic step-down between Main Street and the Vista, in the neighborhood of 7 to 10 stories. As it stands now the CBD is so insular that it looks like you'd be driving into a citadel. If you're thinking in terms of height, there needs to be a communication between the edge of the CBD and the edge of the Vista, or else there's a psychological disconnect between the two that might as well make Assembly Street a moat.

Well stated. If the Convention Center expands..and I think everyone wants that..then there are plans for more commercial development..namely, an entertainment center which should house the Vista's first cinema.   

I think you can achieve that step down with just a few buildings to be honest. There is a precedent for midrise buildings between Assembly and Lincoln Streets with the 8 story Hilton and the planned 12 story University SC Tower. Neither feels intrusive, perhaps because they are not directly on Gervais. There's something nice about the low rise buildings in the Vista- they make the area feel very approachable. Buildings two or three blocks off of Gervais do not really need to be that height though. I think the city should try to bridge the gap between CBD and the Vista on north Lady, Washington, and Hampton. The four blocks between Assembly, Lincoln, Lady and Taylor are full of parking lots primed for eventual redevelopment. 

Paris and Washington DC have height restrictions, and are the better for it, I believe. Paris has La Defense, which is a cluster of tall office towers on the periphery of the city. However, the rest of the city is quite human in scale, and very dense with foot traffic.

Have been driving around the site on which Don Tomlin wants to build his 29 story apartment tower, trying to envision what that would be like for our skyline. I wish we could get a glimpse of his renderings..surely he has already commissioned them.

Have been driving around the site on which Don Tomlin wants to build his 29 story apartment tower, trying to envision what that would be like for our skyline. I wish we could get a glimpse of his renderings..surely he has already commissioned them.

Surely he plans to turn the parking garage into more of an aesthetically pleasing part of the property. That thing has always been real hard on the eyes.  

Ive made a blocky rendering myself if you wanna see it.

Heres my rendering Concept on how the new 29 Story tower would look. I just made it a typical Block building columbia usually receives but hopefully they make the building a bit more dynamic.

18368917283_e3a1921eb2_b.jpg

18984163552_30f1c6c641_b.jpg

Are you sure you have the location right? Everything I have read said the 29 story tower would be the lady street garage right next to the Capital Center. I could be wrong though...

Surely he plans to turn the parking garage into more of an aesthetically pleasing part of the property. That thing has always been real hard on the eyes.  

Yes, you are right. It is an ugly parking structure, although not as bad as the one directly across Assembly from the main post office. I would also hope there would be some decorative elements added, paint, some glass installed..something.

Yes, you are right. It is an ugly parking structure, although not as bad as the one directly across Assembly from the main post office. I would also hope there would be some decorative elements added, paint, some glass installed..something.

IMO the one across from the post office looks better. The palmetto trees help, and there's just something very municipal-appearing about that parking garage.

IMO the one across from the post office looks better. The palmetto trees help, and there's just something very municipal-appearing about that parking garage.

I think an office tower atop it might mitigate its appearance, by drawing the eyes upward.

I was giving a friend a lift to work yesterday. He works in the Capital Center, and I asked if he had seen the renderings for the new tower. Surprisingly, he had, and I asked if he could e-mail them to me. He thought he had saved it in his computer, but had not. So, all I could do was question him about it. It is scheduled to be 29 stories, but will be slightly shorter than the Capital Center, for aforementioned reasons. I asked him if the design was boxy, and he said not particularly. He liked the design. I'm hoping the renderings are released soon. I'm like a kid on Christmas Eve not wanting to wait til tommorow to open my presents.

• 2 weeks later...

The 'not particularly boxy' part of it has me concerned. I would like Columbia to have a tower that is more classic looking and less weird/modern like the NBSC building.

Well, he's not much of an expert on aesthetics and/or architecture, so I don't put too much stock in what he said. However, I would prefer to see something that looks a bit different from the Capital Center, particularly given their being neighbors and being "twin towers".

Archived