Surrounding Counties - Cheatham, Dickson, Montgomery, Rutherford, Sumner, Wilson, Williamson, Maury, etc.

Rural King

There was an interesting article noting the many changes taking place in downtown Murfreesboro. The city's planning director noted the "many condo developers constucting buildings in Nashville call him every month wanting to know the possibilities of Murfreesboro's downtown area" (Broden, 2014). While the article is encouraging news toward the changing attitudes involving urban development, one look at the empty parking lots, metal buildings, used car lots and strip centers that boarder downtown still reflects the many changes that still need to occur before the area can reach its full potential.

http://www.dnj.com/article/20140323/NEWS/303230038/Renovating-Downtown?nclick_check=1

I had seen that about a month ago. Although I hate Wal-Mart, I understand it is a necessary evil. LaVergne is underserved by retail for a city that size. If it were a stand alone city not in between Nashville and Smyrna, then it would have much more retail. There is not much retail there to be hurt by Wal Mart.

If memory serves me right, the area it is going on is pretty much vacant.

Google Maps updated the satellite image for Clarksville and the surrounding area today. The image was probably taken around December 2013.

Very nice!  Can I ask you how you found that out?  I have been hoping for an update in the Nashville image for quite some time, but so far, nothing.  The satellite image I'm seeing of downtown is at least four or five years old.

I use Google Maps everyday for work in Clarksville I noticed that it looked different this morning. I'm not sure exactly when the image was taken but definitely within the last 6 months.

Ahhh, gotcha.  I thought maybe there was a listing somewhere of upcoming updates.  Thanks though!

Really...the northern edge of Smyrna (Sam Ridley Parkway) that has so much retail serves Lavergne as much as Smyrna.  Only thing is, Lavergne doesn't get the tax dollars.  Sam Ridley is less than a mile from the Lavergne line.

This is true...in fact, there is a sign for La Vergne High School that is actually on Sam Ridley Pkwy in Smyrna (a school sign, not an 'it's over here' sign).

To be honest, Sam Ridley is probably only built up as much as it is BECAUSE it serves both towns. Smyrna has quite a bit of retail on other corridors as well, and closer to a larger portion of its population.

My guess is La Vergne did not get as much of the retail development because their lone interstate exit is filled with heavy industrial and warehouses. Their portion of US 41 also seems to lack the amount of development that Smyrna's portion has (though stretches of both look similar). The city limits are somewhat linear and perpendicular to the corridors that travel through it (US 41, I-24), and the only thoroughfare that runs more or less across the axis of the city is industrial/residential, not commercial.

This is true...in fact, there is a sign for La Vergne High School that is actually on Sam Ridley Pkwy in Smyrna (a school sign, not an 'it's over here' sign).

To be honest, Sam Ridley is probably only built up as much as it is BECAUSE it serves both towns. Smyrna has quite a bit of retail on other corridors as well, and closer to a larger portion of its population.

My guess is La Vergne did not get as much of the retail development because their lone interstate exit is filled with heavy industrial and warehouses. Their portion of US 41 also seems to lack the amount of development that Smyrna's portion has (though stretches of both look similar). The city limits are somewhat linear and perpendicular to the corridors that travel through it (US 41, I-24), and the only thoroughfare that runs more or less across the axis of the city is industrial/residential, not commercial.

I've often thought that Lavergne made a big mistake by basically giving up so much of their land close to the interstate to industrial and warehouse.  With a little more forethought, I'm thinking they could have been more strategic about incorporating more retail into that area.  Waldron Road really needs a "do-over."

Pretty sure Smyrna's next retail area will be Rocky Fork Road when that interchange is built between Sam Ridley and Almaville Rd...even though there's still quite a bit of space left on Sam Ridley, depending on what wants to go in there.

Lavergne should have left "Industrial Blvd" open for retail...and allow the industrial / warehouses to build just east of the retail area.

Very nice!  Can I ask you how you found that out?  I have been hoping for an update in the Nashville image for quite some time, but so far, nothing.  The satellite image I'm seeing of downtown is at least four or five years old.

Not just the satellite, but the street views are already upwards of 3 years out of date. So much new stuff going on and we can't see it.

A lot of the warehouses on the west side are in Nashville. The county line runs right thru the industrial park and was there long before LaVergne ever started growing fast in the 90's. I don't think they knew there was going to be that much growth. I remember Sam Ridley in the mid 90's and there was nothing on the road to speak of.

That is exciting for the Boro. The county is going to have some amazing growth over the next two decades.

And sadly, 98 percent of it will be suburban sprawl.

WW

I attended MTSU from 1981 to 1985 and have made various visits to the Boro since. The lack of infill within the urban core has been both frustrating and baffling. Downtown Murfreesboro, with its vintage structures and nice street grid, could be  very urban. But it will take many years and far more focus and conviction from civic leaders than we have seen in the past.

WW

I agree.  Given the huge university that is close to the historic downtown and the solid bones that are contained within, combined with the large population base that surrounds it, I could easily see Murfreesboro becoming an Ann Arbor type of town.  A city with a lively and walkable urban core that is renown and memorable to people, and well worth a visit, despite it being a relatively small city.  If the leaders had any sort of foresight at all and didn't just jump at every generic possibility at development that was tossed their way, like hungry dogs onto a bone, they would have begun the process many years ago to create a solid connection between the university and the downtown core, and encourage more dense, pedestrian friendly development along that corridor.

I agree.  Given the huge university that is close to the historic downtown and the solid bones that are contained within, combined with the large population base that surrounds it, I could easily see Murfreesboro becoming an Ann Arbor type of town.  A city with a lively and walkable urban core that is renown and memorable to people, and well worth a visit, despite it being a relatively small city.  If the leaders had any sort of foresight at all and didn't just jump at every generic possibility at development that was tossed their way, like hungry dogs onto a bone, they would have begun the process many years ago to create a solid connection between the university and the downtown core, and encourage more dense, pedestrian friendly development along that corridor.

BnaBreaker,

Perfectly said. The generic development that has covered Rutherford County has become as much a defining quality of the country than has MTSU. So many missed opportunities. On a positive note, the square has some nice shops/restaurants/bars.

WW

• Like 1

Not just the satellite, but the street views are already upwards of 3 years out of date. So much new stuff going on and we can't see it.

Google imagery for Nashville was flown in August of 2011.  I think they're on about a 3 year rotation.  So, we may see new ones this year.  Street view and 45 degree imagery vary in age.  I don't work for Google; but I do work in GIS for the State.

The bridge project should be strong. I have relatives who live in Clarksville (I visited the downtown two years ago). Lots of surface lots that could be developed to provide building and people density. 

WW

The problem is that people don't invest in downtown Clarksville, if it wasn't for AP the downtown would be more of a ghost town than it already is.  In my opinion its by far the saddest downtown of the mid sized cities in the state, which is sad because the historical building stock is pretty good.  The potential is there but the downtown area almost seems to be regressing.  AP recently purchased a building in Strawberry Alley to forge a stronger connection with downtown, which looks like downtowns only hope at this point.

The problem is that people don't invest in downtown Clarksville, if it wasn't for AP the downtown would be more of a ghost town than it already is.  In my opinion its by far the saddest downtown of the mid sized cities in the state, which is sad because the historical building stock is pretty good.  The potential is there but the downtown area almost seems to be regressing.  AP recently purchased a building in Strawberry Alley to forge a stronger connection with downtown, which looks like downtowns only hope at this point.

Agreed. We'll see what happens in the next year when the Ford dealership leaves downtown with 11 new acres of prime development space. Convention center being discussed (again), but doubtful it will materialize.

I did not know that (thanks), although I could tell much of the sat views of Tennessee are quite out of date.  About three weeks ago I passed an oncoming Google street view car on Apison Pike in Collegedale.

Apison Pike in Collegedale?  Is that where you live MLBrumby?  I have quite a bit of family in that area. 

I live on lookout... but I was taking my kid to the orthodontist who was at the (I guess it's actually) Ooltewah office on Little Debbie Pkwy on that day. Usually, we go to the location on Brainerd Rd.  Was doing a lot of driving that day.   :(   I was coming from the I-75 exit.  Collegedale/Ooltewah have grown a lot in such a short few years. 

Edited by MLBrumby